Forge FC Season Thread 2019

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Let's keep in mind that this is what CPL is about. I'm happy for Welshman and look forward to more CPL players moving to higher leagues. Having had those players in CPL will have helped make other CPL players better and will raise the reputation of CPL.

Still hurts to lose a good player of course but it opens up an opportunity for someone else.

Does anyone know what compensation, if any, Forge received?

Considering he is on loan from Cincinnati my guess is nothing 

I'm ok with Welshman moving on as long as a proper replacement is brought in, he has been underwhelming to me as a striker and is no longer eligible for Canada, Forge desperately need a striker who can score on a regular basis otherwise all the possession and good midfield play will continue to be wasted!

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

who knows... injury transparency has one of this leagues blind spots 

Bobby said in an interview recently that he should be well enough to Join the team next week. 

FC Cincinnati agrees to transfer Welshman to Hapoel, and Hapoel agrees to have him stay on loan to Forge FC. I just woke up, so that was a dream, but it may happen. We have no idea of what conditions are on the loan, so we just have to wait for it all to happen to really know what the outcome will be. Fully agree that Forge needs a true striker if they are to continue their tactical set up. Nowak returning would do that, but they shouldn't just have the one pure striker. Maybe a deal with another CPL team?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

As far as I can tell the only time they are playing the replay is 2am est on Friday. Not super convenient.

I don't see how Canadians would be more interested in Australian rules football or the practice round of the Hungarian grand prix which will both be shown later in the day. If they already have the feed why wouldn't they put the replay on at a better time.

Just now, Stryker911 said:

As far as I can tell the only time they are playing the replay is 2am est on Friday. Not super convenient.

I don't see how Canadians would be more interested in Australian rules football or the practice round of the Hungarian grand prix which will both be shown later in the day. If they already have the feed why wouldn't they put the replay on at a better time.

Personally, they are trying to bury the league as much as they can. It was a bad look when people started to tag them on twitter asking why they were sitting on the rights and not showing the game.

Un-f'n-believable...That's why Canada can't have nice things. Most nations would embrace such a league with open arms...not us. I admire Americans for that, never miss an occasion to celebrate all things "American"

37 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Un-f'n-believable...That's why Canada can't have nice things. Most nations would embrace such a league with open arms...not us. I admire Americans for that, never miss an occasion to celebrate all things "American"

You must not be familiar with American soccer, where sometimes even USMNT away games aren't available on television in the U.S.

This has nothing to do with patriotism, and everything to do with bean counters calculating how to maximize revenue. TSN is not the government of Canada. 

Those are some bean counters. Give me their number. I have some ocean front property in Montana to sell them. They can peer out on the Ocean while they count all the revenues pouring in from Aussie Rules football, Overwatch league and the WNBA all star game

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Those are some bean counters. Give me their number. I have some ocean front property in Montana to sell them. They can peer out on the Ocean while they count all the revenues pouring in from Aussie Rules football, Overwatch league and the WNBA all star game

All of those things come pre-produced. TSN doesn't have to spend a dime on them, outside of acquiring the rights (which are had for a relative song). 

In the meantime, producing a live soccer game for television costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per match. That's where the bean counters come in.

15 minutes ago, RS said:

All of those things come pre-produced. TSN doesn't have to spend a dime on them, outside of acquiring the rights (which are had for a relative song). 

In the meantime, producing a live soccer game for television costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per match. That's where the bean counters come in.

CONCACAF produce those games. They'd just broadcast it.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

CONCACAF produce those games. They'd just broadcast it.

Right, and it's being broadcast on TSN's online platform, which is equal to OneSoccer except with a much bigger reach.

My point isn't to make excuses for TSN, but to point out that slotting in a CL game onto its TV schedule isn't as easy as just doing it. There are other obligations (previous commitments) and considerations in every decision, not the least of which is the quality of the broadcast they'd receive from CONCACAF.

RS, first you said it was about maximising revenue...then you said it was about production costs...then it might be a low quality broadcast.  Are you sure you dont work for TSN??  I dont doubt that they werent going to show it all until people started squawking, nad then they put it in the most obscure time they could manage.  Really, couldnt the amazing race, timber sports or grand prix qualifying etc be moved??  F&ck them, I am going to have a nap and watch it at 2am...if you see me dont spoil it.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

RS, first you said it was about maximising revenue...then you said it was about production costs...then it might be a low quality broadcast.  Are you sure you dont work for TSN??  I dont doubt that they werent going to show it all until people started squawking, nad then they put it in the most obscure time they could manage.  Really, couldnt the amazing race, timber sports or grand prix qualifying etc be moved??  F&ck them, I am going to have a nap and watch it at 2am...if you see me dont spoil it.  

Let me respond point-by-point, but first I'll state that I have never worked for TSN nor Bell.

Maximizing revenue / Production costs: These are one and the same, as the cost to produce live games cuts into revenues. So TSN got the rights to the CL because they really wanted the Gold Cup (and some other properties), but CONCACAF bundles them all in one package). TSN was never going to produce tonight's game. The projected viewership was never going to cover that cost.

Low-quality broadcast: This is me guessing based on years of CONCACAF-produced broadcasts. I suspect that what we'll see tonight will be a broadcast that is deemed "good enough" for online platforms with low viewership, but nowhere near the broadcast standard that TSN would want on their actual channels in prime time. I'm happy to be proven wrong here.

Moving other broadcasts to accomodate the CL game: This is always a possibility, but it's likely that the contracts that TSN has with these other shows means there is an obligation to show them in certain timeslots. The way around this is usually money, but that goes back to my first point and the bean counters not feeling like its worth the financial penalty for a game that will likely draw very low numbers.

None of what I wrote above is my advocating for TSN not showing the game live on TV. I'm simply explaining why they (as a broadcast corporation that takes very little risks by nature) do the things they do. 

For the record, the programs scheduled during the Forge game on the TSN channels are CFL (TSN 1/4/5), Citi Open tennis (TSN 2) and UFC (TSN 3). Also, if you have TSN on cable, you should be able to watch TSN.ca/Direct/GO with your cable login.

19 minutes ago, RS said:

Let me respond point-by-point, but first I'll state that I have never worked for TSN nor Bell.

Maximizing revenue / Production costs: These are one and the same, as the cost to produce live games cuts into revenues. So TSN got the rights to the CL because they really wanted the Gold Cup (and some other properties), but CONCACAF bundles them all in one package). TSN was never going to produce tonight's game. The projected viewership was never going to cover that cost.

Low-quality broadcast: This is me guessing based on years of CONCACAF-produced broadcasts. I suspect that what we'll see tonight will be a broadcast that is deemed "good enough" for online platforms with low viewership, but nowhere near the broadcast standard that TSN would want on their actual channels in prime time. I'm happy to be proven wrong here.

Moving other broadcasts to accomodate the CL game: This is always a possibility, but it's likely that the contracts that TSN has with these other shows means there is an obligation to show them in certain timeslots. The way around this is usually money, but that goes back to my first point and the bean counters not feeling like its worth the financial penalty for a game that will likely draw very low numbers.

None of what I wrote above is my advocating for TSN not showing the game live on TV. I'm simply explaining why they (as a broadcast corporation that takes very little risks by nature) do the things they do. 

For the record, the programs scheduled during the Forge game on the TSN channels are CFL (TSN 1/4/5), Citi Open tennis (TSN 2) and UFC (TSN 3). Also, if you have TSN on cable, you should be able to watch TSN.ca/Direct/GO with your cable login.

Showing tonight's game is exactly the same as CCChampions League games. If they want to be even cheaper they could even go with the Concacaf broadcasters instead of their crew sitting in the TSN studio in sweat pants

In fact if you want to talk money, they should treat it like found money. When they bought a bundle of properties they likely didnt anticipate a huge southern Ontario market participating in this. If they get to round 3 or 4 it would be a nice little feather in their cap. But instead they want to bury it

Edited by SpursFlu