Forge FC Season Thread 2019

Judging from the highlights, the match looked like another great advertisement for the league. I'm  really liking the quality so far...minus Cavalry employing the soccer equivalent of a New Jersey Devils-esque dead puck/neutral zone trap/left wing lock style of play from the mid 90s. 😒

Edited by Macksam

One thing you have to realize with seasons ticket holders in Hamilton is that plenty of Co-Founders announced on Twitter were local businesses, who then pass along tickets to employees or clients who may or may not ultimately show up to the game.  Makes good business sense from a revenue standpoint but doesn't always translate to bums in the seat.

The weather has played a huge part in keeping attendance down for the 1st two matches, tomorrow it will be the weather and Mother's Day as Stryker mentioned it is a perfect day for football today, the day the match was originally scheduled for! Our next home match after tomorrow is another midweek tilt, hopefully the weather is better and the crowd is half decent!

Forge almost gifted that game by Valour, lots of attacking possession but still lacks the finish most of the time. Happy to be 2nd in the table but Cavalry looks like they might have this spring season in the bag.

6 minutes ago, Hybred said:

Forge almost gifted that game by Valour, lots of attacking possession but still lacks the finish most of the time. Happy to be 2nd in the table but Cavalry looks like they might have this spring season in the bag.

Agree, it looked like more of the same until Borges added the 2nd, lots of possession in good positions yet the keeper had very little to do, hopefully more competition or depth at striker position will translate into more goals, they were both well taken goals last night!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 8:01 PM, Lofty said:

Forge's new black kit is their best by far. And I can see why they felt the need for a third kit as the first two are very iffy.

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/black-gold-kit-gallery

It's basic, but I'm not going to hold it against the team going basic the first year. It's already in my closet. Hope to see bumble bee hoops next year, or even better, if they did a Hamilton sport's tribute jersey. Like do a Bulldogs style one, one year. Do a Steelers style one another year. Do an old school 1800s Hamilton Tigers vertical stripes one year. Etc.

Edited by -Hammer-

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

It's basic, but I'm not going to hold it against the team going basic the first year. It's already in my closet. Hope to see bumble bee hoops next year, or even better, if they did a Hamilton sport's tribute jersey. Like do a Bulldogs style one, one year. Do a Steelers style one another year. Do an old school 1800s Hamilton Tigers vertical stripes one year. Etc.

Hey -Hammer- where did you get your Battalion avatar? I like it.

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

Black and gold stripes with either black or gold shorts would be awesome. Although I like most of the CPL shirts individually, I lament that there are no stripes or hoops. And I think you need to decide between hoops or stripes and then stick with it; if QPR appeared in blue and white stripes a la Sheffield Wed, I'd have a heart attack and I wouldn't be the only one! 😁

Hopefully this never happens!😀

Edited by gator

On 6/1/2019 at 6:07 PM, lazlo_80 said:

Hey -Hammer- where did you get your Battalion avatar? I like it.

I think it was posted on the Battalion's twitter account at some point. I changed the chains to be grey in color so it would have some Grey. There was also a black and gold one which I may switch to.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:15 AM, Lofty said:

Black and gold stripes with either black or gold shorts would be awesome. Although I like most of the CPL shirts individually, I lament that there are no stripes or hoops. And I think you need to decide between hoops or stripes and then stick with it; if QPR appeared in blue and white stripes a la Sheffield Wed, I'd have a heart attack and I wouldn't be the only one!

It's a fcking miracle our life expectancy is so high in Barcelona, considering this sort of stuff (next year's 1st shirt, totally silly--and plenty of hilarious tweets out there from the Croatian FA):

Resultado de imagen de fc barcelona new shirt 2020 riqui

On 6/2/2019 at 9:15 PM, Lofty said:

Black and gold stripes with either black or gold shorts would be awesome. Although I like most of the CPL shirts individually, I lament that there are no stripes or hoops. And I think you need to decide between hoops or stripes and then stick with it; if QPR appeared in blue and white stripes a la Sheffield Wed, I'd have a heart attack and I wouldn't be the only one!

If I had to pick one, it would be hoops, because there is more history. For example the old Football Tigers and the infamous 60s-80s Tiger-Cats with the hoops on the sleeves.
ticatJerseys.jpg

Additionally the old Hamilton Tigers hockey club had an affinity for hoops in their later years
B822689834Z.1_20160920162021_000_GES1NQ9

the same jersey that the Bulldogs of today have as their 3rd jersey.
rwlmz0vm7lzz.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&au

and of course the single white hoop of the Hamilton Steelers
1a-2.jpg

Generally the only time stripes have been used were the first Hamilton Tigers hockey team run.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/spyboy1/TSG Blog 3/?action=view&current=1920-21HamiltonTigersteam.jpg

Edited by -Hammer-

Man I already hate Jose Escalante. Really want to beat Cavalry after that one. Absolute bs at the end, but its going to be one of those things that shape the fan culture at Forge. 

Tristan Borges really is special. He finds some really crafty passes, and his dribbles 'megged a few guys and split several defenders a few times. He's all over the field, even came back and got possession near our own 18 at one point. He had a lot of intensity even when he got off the field, love the passion from him. 

Cisse had a really solid game today, and even got a few chances offensively.

Welshman looked better in the middle than he has in the past. 

Samuel is going to always get knocked for not looking like a typical professional athlete, but he works his tail off back there, his passing is good and his one on one defending is great.

Choiniere once again showing his skill, but his inability to put it all together at times is justifying why he's gotten so few starts. 

Small sample size, but I've still yet to be impressed by Nanco asides from his speed.

Edited by Pottsy3

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

Forge has a striker problem. They would have win if they had a good. They need to invest there ASAP

I tend to agree with this. Although Welshman was decent last night, the team dynamic changed when they started playing Novak in game 3. But beyond Novak, there isn't really anyone who fits the mould of a poacher. In a pipe dream, an Anthony Jackson Hamel or Jordan Hamilton type at the top would do wonders for us.

Agree with the 2 above posts and I have been saying this since the 1st match, all of the good attacking football this team plays is not rewarded with many goals, another striker or 2 is required or I'm afraid things won't change much!