Forge FC Season Thread 2019

The Score is not owned by Rogers. It was spun off as its own, independent online-only company when Rogers bought the television network of the same name (now called Sportsnet 360).

Here's the thing, guys. Not everyone is going to be on board with the CPL from the get-go. There are always going to be skeptics, but unlike on this board they can't simply be shouted down when they write or say something we don't like.

The onus is on the CPL and the teams to change the perception of an all-Canadian league. Matchday 1 was an excellent first step, but it's going to take years for the tide to turn (and even then, it won't ever be 100%).

The worst thing that could happen is that the media simply ignores the league. 

On 4/29/2019 at 2:23 PM, Hybred said:

I just read the first article on The Score App regarding CPL https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1764006?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter.

Wow did they just ask someone to write this in like 30 mins with no research done whatsoever. Apparently Winnipeg Blue Bombers don't exist and apparently news to me the Reptile store by EastGate Mall is literally the only entertainment us Hamiltonians have to look forward. I am actually offended by this article, I would prefer they not to write anything then this worthless dribble.

That sentence read "17,611 soccer fans descended on an industrial wedge of Hamilton with few attractions aside from a reptile zoo in a strip mall." Yeah it's a condescending tone for sure, but I think he meant specifically that industrial northeastern part of Hamilton where the stadium is specifically, not the whole city of Hamilton itself.

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

One thing I need to adjust to is not being behind the goal like I used to be with my season seats at TFC, as it was much easier to take in the tactical shifts during play. I love watching the ebb and flow of formations/tactics in and out of possession, during the different phases of play. It will come I am sure, it’s just different from the side/corner of the pitch and I wasn’t expecting that. 

Same here, years of standing in the South End close to field level gave me a unique perspective, as you mention you can see the shifts in formations and such! It will take some getting used to being higher up and on the side, I expect I will adjust to this perspective as I did when I sat in other stands at BMO! I got around to watching the broadcast of the match, it looked like a different game, cameras were on the opposite side!

Edited by gator

48 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I may be in Toronto on May 29th.  Can anyone offer suggestions re getting from downtown (Chestbut St) to Tim Hortons Field?  I may be screwed by flight times, but it would be worth the effort to try and catch a game.

Union station. Bus ride should be about 1.5 hrs for $12 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I may be in Toronto on May 29th.  Can anyone offer suggestions re getting from downtown (Chestbut St) to Tim Hortons Field?  I may be screwed by flight times, but it would be worth the effort to try and catch a game.

As KW says there is express bus service from Union to downtown Hamilton, depending on what time of day you are travelling, the train can be a better option, the bus in non rush hour usually takes less than an hour, in traffic all bets are off which can make the GO Train a better option, keep us posted, we would love to see you at the match!

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned him but Franco really impressed me in that first game. Other than the Telfer goal, which wasnt his fault, he shut Telfer down completely. He also added a lot to the attack. Being from Edmonton I hadn't heard of him at all until this game. I looked him up thinking he was an international player after the game but realized he was from league 1. Very interesting to see what happens if he keeps playing like that. Canada is a little short in depth in right back.

Kurt Larson was in studio for the preview of the game yesterday and mentioned that the league is looking at the incident between Bekker and Di Chiara. Honestly I think he should face a one or two game suspension, no fine though. Commissioner Clanachan said the league was gonna be fair and clean, as well as "be tough on crime". James Easton is responsible for the operations of week to week matches, hope they do this not only because they should but to make a statement and show the players that kind of action will not be accepted. Anyhow, we will just see what happens and if there is anything, that was a clear red. The officiating in the inaugural match was horrible! To take action would be a warning to all players to stay classy, nothing better than good sportsmanship 

Edited by Blackjack15

2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Kurt Larson was in studio for the preview of the game yesterday and mentioned that the league is looking at the incident between Bekker and Di Chiara. Honestly I think he should face a one or two game suspension, no fine though. Commissioner Clanachan said the league was gonna be fair and clean, as well as "be tough on crime". James Easton is responsible for the operations of week to week matches, hope they do this not only because they should but to make a statement and show the players that kind of action will not be accepted. Anyhow, we will just see what happens and if there is anything, that was a clear red. The officiating in the inaugural match was horrible! To take action would be a warning to all players to stay classy, nothing better than good sportsmanship 

Yeah, something is needed to ensure everyone knows that sort of thing will not be tolerated.  The fact that it went unpunished was laughable.  The idea that it would remain unpunished after review would be inexcusable.

23 hours ago, RS said:

Here's the thing, guys. Not everyone is going to be on board with the CPL from the get-go. There are always going to be skeptics, but unlike on this board they can't simply be shouted down when they write or say something we don't like.

I don't recall saying anybody needs to be shouted down. On the contrary, cast light on it, critique it for the drivel it is.

As for this message board, nobody shouts anybody down here....it's a message board. However, one individual does rub people the wrong way by sounding like a passive aggressive broken record. He gets berated and his views get heavily criticized which is fair game but nobody shouts him down. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

I don't recall saying anybody needs to be shouted down. On the contrary, cast light on it, critique it for the drivel it is.

As for this message board, nobody shouts anybody down here....it's a message board. However, one individual does rub people the wrong way by sounding like a passive aggressive broken record. He gets berated and his views get heavily criticized which is fair game but nobody shouts him down. 

Shouted down no, do we put our fingers in our ears and shout "lalalalala" hell yes!! lol

28 minutes ago, Hybred said:

Shouted down no, do we put our fingers in our ears and shout "lalalalala" hell yes!! lol

With the amount of people he ignores, he is the one who would fit that description. Anyone who tries to debate him and poke holes in his opinions that are laden with fallacies, he ignores.

17 minutes ago, gator said:

We are getting turfed out of our careful chosen seats to accommodate a banner

Just for one match or the season? I agree there's not much to choose from if the latter.

56 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Experience elsewhere previously on handing out freebies by the fistful has usually not been good. Hopefully the parents have to pay to get in.

They are vouchers fro 2 free tickets for a few select games I think it was for Wednesday's game and Sunday, they have to be redeemed and because of the difficulty and effort required of using the CPL app with ticketmaster if people are going through the trouble to activate them then they will go lol

Also you don't see anything good in terms of offering some tickets to lower income families in schools for the community? You are quite the philanthropist aren't you

Edited by Hybred

8 minutes ago, RickC said:

Just for one match or the season? I agree there's not much to choose from if the latter.

For the season, very limited options now for alternative seating, this doesn't seem right after getting in so early, now we move to the back of the selection line!

1 minute ago, gator said:

For the season, very limited options now for alternative seating, this doesn't seem right after getting in so early, now we move to the back of the selection line!

Are you in supporters section? Where else is their a banner?

Macron really screwed people on sizing insisting that the league get sizes in 2 sizes more than usual instead of just 1 this resulted in many people only able to get a XL or L equivalent my wife had to settle for a Youth L as Women's XL was a dress. Typical Eurosnobs thinks we Canadian's are all fat.

12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You left the lower income part out of the first post.

Well you did jump on it even though it clearly said they were for local schools. You do realise that this team is owned by Bob Young right and the Hamilton Tiger-cats are very successful and also owned by Bob Young who only bought the team from bankruptcy because his brother with severe disabilities was an avid Ticat fan and died a year earlier. To this day he refers himself as the Caretaker and not owner of the team as he believes the team is such a fabric of Hamilton it can't be owned. 

This Forge team isn't some mickey mouse operation it has very smart business people behind it who love the city, as you aren't from here I don't really care about your opinion about my team in my city. And just in case you aren't aware Hamilton is not a part of the GTA at all it is instead apart of the GTHA which is a relatively new term that is called the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, which refers to GTA and Hamilton Niagara Region.

Rant complete!!!

Edited by Hybred

Where on earth are you getting the mickey mouse operation and GTA stuff from what I wrote? Think I pretty much always use Golden Horseshoe on here rather than GTA when referring collectively to the western portion of the shoreline of Lake Ontario.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Where on earth are you getting the mickey mouse operation and GTA stuff from what I wrote? Think I pretty much always use Golden Horseshoe on here rather than GTA when referring collectively to the western portion of the shoreline of Lake Ontario.

I did say rant didn't I the second part wasn't necessarily for you but a general advisement for everyone.