Forge FC Season Thread 2019

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

October 15, 2019  40+ minutes of post game and press conference audio with Gregg Berhalter and John Herdman, Milan Borjan (twice!), Alphonso Davies, Kamal Miller, Jonathan David and Lucas Cavallini

on my site at: http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19cana06.htm  

Sure the wrong thread but in the second interview with Borjan he gets into his Hamilton roots and that he's heard of Forge FC and he follows the CPL.    

• 2 weeks later...

I was chatting with someone at the match and they said as if it was common knowledge that Bob Young has been supporting Sigma (I assume financially, maybe some other ti-cat resources too?) for the past few years, and that Bobby S has been building for this season over that period. I didn’t have a chance to dig any deeper at the time, but has anyone else heard this? 

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the Forge celebration party at THF last night, there was a ceremony at field level with the fans getting a chance to meet and talk with the players after, lots of kids there, it was well done by the club! After there was an indoor event in the club section for us co-founders, what a party, my clothes got soaked with champagne as we watched the final moments of last Saturday's match with the players! It was excellent to get a chance to speak with players and coaches and reflect on the season, what a great bunch of people! Borges is obviously not going to tip his hand but from our conversation I would be very surprised if he doesn't move on to a bigger club next season, he deserves it! One of many highlights was David Edgar saying to me "You're QPR? F*** Off", he did say he liked playing at the classic old Loftus Road!

• 1 month later...

Very much hoping to see Edgar back in the mix. Perhaps one of the bigger names switching outfits this off season? 

I expect you will see a few new comers in Jan. With the roster filled out in Feb-March leading up to training camp in March. 

Not surprised to see Borges on the roster. A club needs to have a players under contract to sell. If he isnt sold (I think he will be), plenty of time to progress onward following another MVP year in 2020. 

Don't think a player signs to help out a club like that if there is interest at a higher level, because any agent worth his salt would be advising him to avoid doing that and go for a larger signing bonus elsewhere by cutting the previous club out of the equation. Have seen it claimed on Reddit that he was always on a two year deal and had actually told fans that at some sort of fan gathering, so this may simply be a case of the Forge picking up his option after testing the waters a bit on whether anybody would come in and pay a significant transfer fee for him.

Complete list of those returning as of this morning or these are the only players returning? A good core certainly, but some big holes in the roster. Edgar is the main player missing. The calming experience at central defence will be greatly missed, especially during continental play. Grant at right back is another experienced player that they will miss. Frano played well in Grant's absence but also was good in def mid when needed there. Novak's physical presence up front and then there's the fan favourite Thomas. We'll see if some of these players had other opportunities, if there are better replacements or if this is more about a very low spending cap. Don't want to dwell on the negatives here as I'm very happy with most of the players on the returning list.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't think a player signs to help out a club like that if there is interest at a higher level, because any agent worth his salt would be advising him to avoid doing that and go for a larger signing bonus elsewhere by cutting the previous club out of the equation. Have seen it claimed on Reddit that he was always on a two year deal and had actually told fans that at some sort of fan gathering, so this may simply be a case of the Forge picking up his option after testing the waters a bit on whether anybody would come in and pay a significant transfer fee for him.

Isn't his agent Coach Bobby's brother? may explain it

1 hour ago, RickC said:

Complete list of those returning as of this morning or these are the only players returning? A good core certainly, but some big holes in the roster. Edgar is the main player missing. The calming experience at central defence will be greatly missed, especially during continental play. Grant at right back is another experienced player that they will miss. Frano played well in Grant's absence but also was good in def mid when needed there. Novak's physical presence up front and then there's the fan favourite Thomas. We'll see if some of these players had other opportunities, if there are better replacements or if this is more about a very low spending cap. Don't want to dwell on the negatives here as I'm very happy with most of the players on the returning list.

I'm not sure all of those players are leaving, as the article suggested there are more returning players still to be announced. I wouldn't mind Frano leaving to be a starter elsewhere in the league. Edgar is the most important one to me, I believe after a full season it will be clear he's the leagues best defender. Johnny Grant is another guy who I'd love to stay, but I think he could be a star elsewhere. If Novak stays, I hope it will be in a substitute role after signing a star striker. Another guy I wouldn't mind holding onto is Kladi Cela, who was good in few appearances. 

1 hour ago, RickC said:

Don't panic Rick, from what I understand this is just a preliminary list, the rest may just still be in negotiations or feeling out their options.  

You're right about the value of each of those players though.  Frano was my favourite unsung Forge hero, jack of all trades last year but would be an every-game starter for a lot of teams.  

On 12/14/2019 at 1:28 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not in his case:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/tristan-borges/profil/spieler/402531

Player agent: Axia Sports Management
Current club: Forge FC Forge FC
Contract expires: 30.11.2020
Date of last contract extension: Dec 13, 2019

That agency is run by Nick Mavromaras, whose business partner has traditionally been Costa Smyrniotis so.......