Forge FC Season Thread 2019

I just read the first article on The Score App regarding CPL https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1764006?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter.

Wow did they just ask someone to write this in like 30 mins with no research done whatsoever. Apparently Winnipeg Blue Bombers don't exist and apparently news to me the Reptile store by EastGate Mall is literally the only entertainment us Hamiltonians have to look forward. I am actually offended by this article, I would prefer they not to write anything then this worthless dribble.

5 minutes ago, Hybred said:

I just read the first article on The Score App regarding CPL https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1764006?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter.

Wow did they just ask someone to write this in like 30 mins with no research done whatsoever. Apparently Winnipeg Blue Bombers don't exist and apparently news to me the Reptile store by EastGate Mall is literally the only entertainment us Hamiltonians have to look forward. I am actually offended by this article, I would prefer they not to write anything then this worthless dribble.

I clicked on that to give it a hate-read but I couldn't pay attention long enough to get to the outrageous parts. It appears to be written by a guy who got an assignment he wasn't interested in and didn't expect the reader to be interested in either.

One interesting tidbit from the article is that the Bundesliga, Serie A, and La Liga all offered assistance and advice as Clanachan and his leadership team worked to construct the CPL.

Help from Major League Soccer wasn't as forthcoming, 

9 minutes ago, red card said:

One interesting tidbit from the article is that the Bundesliga, Serie A, and La Liga all offered assistance and advice as Clanachan and his leadership team worked to construct the CPL.

Help from Major League Soccer wasn't as forthcoming, 

That's a two way street from what I can see. No doubt more help would have been forthcoming if TFC had got a team into CanPL as they wanted. Hopefully a year or two down the road the powers that be will find a way to have TFC II players playing in Victoria and Halifax rather than Lansing and Tuscon in a way that works for both CanPL and MLS and for the greater good of Canadian soccer.

25 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That's a two way street from what I can see. No doubt more help would have been forthcoming if TFC had got a team into CanPL as they wanted.

That's not helping the league, that would have doomed it as a second rated league which would have been next to impossible to shed

26 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hopefully a year or two down the road the powers that be will find a way to have TFC II players playing in Victoria and Halifax rather than Lansing and Tuscon in a way that works for both CanPL and MLS and for the greater good of Canadian soccer.

CPL teams will do what's good for them, not to please MLS. If a player makes sense to acquire on loan like Telfer and Welshman, than yes. Offering spots to TFC II just for the sake of it is helping no one.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's not helping the league, that would have doomed it as a second rated league which would have been next to impossible to shed

CPL teams will do what's good for them, not to please MLS. If a player makes sense to acquire on loan like Telfer and Welshman, than yes. Offering spots to TFC II just for the sake of it is helping no one.

I am pretty sure that nobody was suggesting that CPL clubs should be offering loan spots "just for the sake of it". Telfer was not forced on York 9 against their will nor was he taken from TFC against their will - there was obviously a mutually beneficial agreement in place that both sides wanted and which is also good for the player. That's usually how loan agreements work. Everyone wins.

As for whether having TFCII in the league playing in a different city and operating as the "St. John's Jumpin' Jehosophats" would somehow damage the reputation of the league, I have my doubts. I suspect most people going to games in the CPL will know that its not a league full of international stars or at the same level MLS currently is, and as such I doubt they would care.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

As for whether having TFCII in the league playing in a different city and operating as the "St. John's Jumpin' Jehosophats" would somehow damage the reputation of the league, I have my doubts. I suspect most people going to games in the CPL will know that its not a league full of international stars or at the same level MLS currently is, and as such I doubt they would care.

You're assuming MLSE would keep it under the radar and not "brag" or "advertised" that they have a farm league in CPL. I remember Manning saying that changing names/colors or not, people would still know it's TFC II. That goes against the league's marketing and the message they are trying to push. It lowers the value of the business. It's not worth it.

MLS has international players, it's not even close from being filled with "stars". Got to ground things a bit here. CPL won't have International stars, certainly not like MLS, but we'll have Internationals nonetheless.

We have over 20 places who wants a team? How about we fill CPL then welcome all the reserve teams into CPL 2 with no ability to promote but can be relegated? They add WAY more value at that level than in Premier League

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You're assuming MLSE would keep it under the radar and not "brag" or "advertised" that they have a farm league in CPL.

Actually I'm assuming that even if they did that, most people showing up to these games still wouldn't care and not be bothered one bit. As evidenced thus far, they seem to be happy to have their own local team as long as the quality of play is high enough rather than worrying that it's not the highest possible quality soccer on the continent or that they aren't going to see Zlatan or Rooney or even the likes of Pozeulo anytime soon. So why would fans of the Moncton Marauding Mastodons or the Fredericton Ferocious Ferrets care about a perception of their team not being top tier? As such I have my doubts.

But this is pretty much off-topic for the thread. To get it back on track, from my observation of the game I think Forge may struggled to keep the ball out of the net in road games where they won't have as much possession, I could see them being a team that scores a lot and concedes a lot. Not sure yet that Henry is the better option in net vs. Roberts.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Actually I'm assuming that even if they did that, most people showing up to these games still wouldn't care and not be bothered one bit. As evidenced thus far, they seem to be happy to have their own local team as long as the quality of play is high enough rather than worrying that it's not the highest possible quality soccer on the continent or that they aren't going to see Zlatan or Rooney or even the likes of Pozeulo anytime soon. So why would fans of the Moncton Marauding Mastodons or the Fredericton Ferocious Ferrets care about a perception of their team not being top tier? As such I have my doubts.

But this is pretty much off-topic for the thread. To get it back on track, from my observation of the game I think Forge may struggled to keep the ball out of the net in road games where they won't have as much possession, I could see them being a team that scores a lot and concedes a lot. Not sure yet that Henry is the better option in net vs. Roberts.

Good thing we'll never know. That ship has sailed

Got an email for refer-a-friend no mention for season ticket but just tickets in general. By end of game on April 27th there was only 4 left to purchase on Ticketmaster and they gave out a few as prizes.

Pretty sure season tickets are almost sold out!! *Spoke with ticket sales some are still available*

And even looking at the game coming up on Wednesday looks like under a thousand are left of the 10,000 capacity. Going to be bumping every game this year for sure!!

Edited by Hybred
correction

There’s lots of tickets left guys.  They may be more or less sold out for season seats but they are still selling flex packs.

You can’t release inventory to Ticketmaster if you’re selling them as flex tickets still so it’s hard to tell how many are sold.

Regardless I hope some of the 10,000+ fans who enjoyed their game on Saturday decide to buy regular season games.  Everyone enjoyed themselves and it would be great to see the stands packed next Wednesday.  

18 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

On the team note.  I was really impressed with our wing play last game.  I hope that we can convert next game on some of those great chances.  

Also next game I doubt we get another insanely good performance from the other teams keeper.

Saturday could have been 3-1 just as easily as it was 1-1

I definitely think that welshman should start on the wing and maybe try borges up front, once welshman was on the wing you could really feel his impact on the game more so than as a striker

And Bekker has to have a better match on Saturday, he was better in the second half but I am looking for a full 90 from him.

Edited by Hybred

8 hours ago, Hybred said:

I definitely think that welshman should start on the wing and maybe try borges up front, once welshman was on the wing you could really feel his impact on the game more so than as a striker

And Bekker has to have a better match on Saturday, he was better in the second half but I am looking for a full 90 from him.

I too thought Welshman looked better a little wider rather than being in the centre forward. 

And Borges has something about him that looks like he could be a special player. It will be great to see how he develops this year. 

I feel like that was the area of the pitch Welshman looked like he was meant to be occupying, though in person it appeared he was slightly more of a false 9 I guess, dropping off a lot rather than playing high off of the central defender’s shoulder.

One thing I need to adjust to is not being behind the goal like I used to be with my season seats at TFC, as it was much easier to take in the tactical shifts during play. I love watching the ebb and flow of formations/tactics in and out of possession, during the different phases of play. It will come I am sure, it’s just different from the side/corner of the pitch and I wasn’t expecting that. 

On 4/29/2019 at 2:23 PM, Hybred said:

A passive aggressive hit piece done by people who are either directly or indirectly employed by Rogers, who are part owners of the JV we call MLSE.... yeah, nothing to see here.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:19 PM, Gian-Luca said:

It's not about the local teams in those markets not drawing, although even that could be negatively effected. It's about the wider picture on a national level. Sponsorship dollars, media money and national perception would be negatively effected. We don't need that.