OneSoccer

Foreen

17 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i'm casting from my android phone through my chromecast, first time it's worked in a week and a half.

i put it on 4 hours ago just to see if it would work and it did, so i just left it on because i was worried that if i turned it off it wouldn't work again later 🤣

Lol same thing I did, put it on about 3 hrs early. Audio was about 5 seconds before the action (annoying) but didn't want to take a chance of re starting just in case.

26 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Lol same thing I did, put it on about 3 hrs early. Audio was about 5 seconds before the action (annoying) but didn't want to take a chance of re starting just in case.

Yah, that happens all the time too. Usually I just have to hit pause/play a fee times and it catches up.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:51 PM, Aird25 said:

Has the app been showing the same Qatar/el Salvador game as being "Live" for anyone else? It's been 5 days

I have found that the iPhone app doesn't refresh it's listings. If I check in a couple hours before a game I want to watch, it says my game is on in 2 hours. Then I come back 2 hours later and it still says the previous game is live and my game is on in 2 hours. I just shut down the app completely and then restart it and it's updated.

Perhaps a separate thread, but what is the strategy here? I won't claim to know much about the streamers. Does DAZN have a viable model? Is that what we're trying to do here?

I thought the CSB model was to package up the NT rights with the CPL and make some $$$. Maybe that's happened, but it seems weird to me that people can't watch these last two matches without a subscription (which I have, runs fine, great value imo).

I thought I already knew the 500-1000 ppl who would pay for this. I know many more causal MNT fans that won't bother. And it has little to do with the product. I won't bother with EPL cause I don't want another streamer.

It seems like the model is untested at best, and we might be missing a huge opportunity to get the team in the popular imagination of the country.

I'd be happy for someone under 45 to tell me why I'm wrong. :)

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I have found that the iPhone app doesn't refresh it's listings. If I check in a couple hours before a game I want to watch, it says my game is on in 2 hours. Then I come back 2 hours later and it still says the previous game is live and my game is on in 2 hours. I just shut down the app completely and then restart it and it's updated.

I only just worked out their schedule days stay the same listing vertically. Just presumed the day at the top would be today! 🤦

22 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Perhaps a separate thread, but what is the strategy here? I won't claim to know much about the streamers. Does DAZN have a viable model? Is that what we're trying to do here?

I thought the CSB model was to package up the NT rights with the CPL and make some $$$. Maybe that's happened, but it seems weird to me that people can't watch these last two matches without a subscription (which I have, runs fine, great value imo).

I thought I already knew the 500-1000 ppl who would pay for this. I know many more causal MNT fans that won't bother. And it has little to do with the product. I won't bother with EPL cause I don't want another streamer.

It seems like the model is untested at best, and we might be missing a huge opportunity to get the team in the popular imagination of the country.

They signed a 10 year deal.

Obviously they want to make money but they must be bleeding so much still. How many subscribers can the possibly have? 20,000 maybe? Just guessing.

We know they raised the the yearly subscription rate after the buzz of the June WCQ. It went from $75 per year to $100.

Perhaps they were hoping that they could get in when it was low, and then sell off rights to TSN and Sportsnet? But those 2 networks don't roll that way.

And what happens when the 10 years are up? If Canada makes consecutive World Cups and the CPL takes off they could be outbid by the other players in the market.

8 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Might be trying to get on the gravy train to make some money like the trends. Generally cable is dying and everything is turning into subscription apps.

I feel like either Cable dies or more likely those companies morph into being conglomerates for offering packages with all these apps like channels are. Who knows though.

It is overwhelming I think for most with so many apps and people not wanting one more thing to pay for and log into. It is reasonably priced when laid out but that doesn't make a huge difference. Those most tech savvy can find streams for free if they want. Right now there is simply so much on for football and people are coming out of lockdown wanting to be outside or maybe not with extra money to spend. 

Dazn works because they have big leagues and multiple sports. Onesoccer still only serves or attracts a small market.

I am still surprised they haven't done more promos. They had a great chance in lockdown to do watch parties and subscribers bring a friend offers, even making a few games free to hook people in. The did a couple but nothing that would really hook anyone.

The whole limited and dated platform along with the above makes me think ultimately they don't particularly care about subscribers. Generally their content and coverage is first rate though. So infuriating at how much better it could be with small easy steps.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

They signed a 10 year deal.

Obviously they want to make money but they must be bleeding so much still. How many subscribers can the possibly have? 20,000 maybe? Just guessing.

We know they raised the the yearly subscription rate after the buzz of the June WCQ. It went from $75 per year to $100.

Perhaps they were hoping that they could get in when it was low, and then sell off rights to TSN and Sportsnet? But those 2 networks don't roll that way.

And what happens when the 10 years are up? If Canada makes consecutive World Cups and the CPL takes off they could be outbid by the other players in the market.

I do think they will make more plays for leagues as they come up, potententially MLS (whether they are willing to outbid Dazn remains to be seen - TSN will step aside I am sure). I think they invested in Canada to get a foothold in the North America and while everything seems done cheap there must be a masterplan. I think they will want it to be a one-stop app for soccer, just feels like they are hesitant or it's not quite their priority, just safe and sure for now, maybe they are saving up lol? 

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

I do think they will make more plays for leagues as they come up, potententially MLS (whether they are willing to outbid Dazn remains to be seen - TSN will step aside I am sure). I think they invested in Canada to get a foothold in the North America and while everything seems done cheap there must be a masterplan. I think they will want it to be a one-stop app for soccer, just feels like they are hesitant or it's not quite their priority, just safe and sure for now, maybe they are saving up lol? 

The one good thing is that they have their hands in a lot of different pies in North America.

The have formed a partnership with Concacaf.

They are involved in the broadcasts for the CEBL.

I have a feeling TSN will continue to broadcast MLS. I don't think MLS wants their games on a niche streaming service. One Soccer might make a run for the current MLS package that DAZN has.

Secular trends favour streaming. 1/3 of all tv viewing is now done via streaming. Majority of people under 30 do not sign up for cable. Sports tv ratings have been declining for a few years. Gaming is shaping up to be a bigger competition for eyeballs.

So, TSN/SN don't have the same level of revenues coming in anymore to pay up for everything. Their focus is now on top 5 tv sports. Within soccer, the focus is on top 5 events, leagues where they own clubs/have material sponsorship interest and leagues/events where they can get low cost turnkey rights such as la liga/Copa America via ESPN/Fox. SN is restrained by spending too much on NHL and need to support parent-owned Jays. DAZN & OS are both owned by owners who don't need to meet quarterly earnings/dividend payouts and therefore can more play the long game.

Soccer also works better with the streaming business model. Interest is growing but there are so many leagues and tourneys that the fragmented audience is too small for ad dependent cable tv. TSN/SN can get the same <100k audience at basically no cost with reruns of best plays of the month. 

So, in the past 5 years, soccer has become the first sport to be taken over by streaming in Canada. The only 2 sport streamers have a soccer focus. 3 if include BEIN Connect. These now show more matches than the total of the 7 networks who show some soccer. The streamers have expanded the universe of soccer shown with about 12 leagues/tourneys never shown on tv. 

Same trend has happened in the US. The clear majority of soccer matches are now on ESPN+, Paramount+ & Peacock.

They're also trying to keep the subscribers more sticky. Soccer streaming media echo system is being developed with shows like One Soccer Today & Futbol Americas. New ways to watch multiple matches are available such as PL Goal Rush & Champions/Europa League Golazo. And because the subscribers are the sports most highly engaged, the streamers should benefit the most from the legalization of single event and in-game betting.

Rights will switch between streamers. Certain rights/matches will go back to tv especially if it becomes a top 5 soccer tv property. Some content will be shared such as seen with MLS and Serie A. There is lots of content for all but the majority of matches will be shown by streamers for the forseeable future.

Edited by red card

i like onesoccer now (after hating the idea of it when it first came out), and you guys make some very good points.

1. onesoccer is a niche service that caters to a niche crowd, the only one of it's type in canada (i argue that dazn is more of an nfl app than a soccer one. just shooting from the hip i bet there's 3/4 times more dazn subscribers for the nfl than soccer).

2. just about anyone that would purchase it already has, you'll see some trickling in every now and then, but there will be no boom in demand for it. casuals will not be lining up to pay to watch a sport they don't really care about.

3. i would hate for them to get mls, simply because the price would go up, and casual fans would just stop watching mls. narduch makes a good point about mls not wanting to be on a streaming service.

4. our national team fanbase is what it is. casuals might jump on board if we make the world cup, then they'll forget about it for 4 years.

5. people watching games streaming doesn't necessarily mean that they're not getting cable. for example, i watched almost all of the european championships on tsn.ca because i was at work, so did a bunch of my coworkers (and students watching in class 😆), all of us have tsn as part of our cable package so we could stream the games for free. not really sure what the point of me mentioning this is, maybe just trying to get guys to not be so dismissive about cable.

like i said, when i first heard about onesoccer i was p*ssed, i thought the csa was missing a great opportunity to grow the fanbase. but as i think about it, this fanbase is what it is (like i said before) and the service caters to us so i like it. 

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

That's all great, but I think One Soccer should get the odd MNT on CBC so they can showcase their product. It's the over 30 crowd less likely to think too hard on shelling out $100 for the year.

CBC is no panacea for broad reach anymore. CBC has less than 5% share of tv viewers. They don't get above 100k too often for their sports programming other than for a few things like Olympics, NHL, Stampede & curling. CPL match ratings were all below 60k.

Even on this forum, not too many know that CBC showed a tape delayed Cdn women's match in February. CBC hasn't a shown a Cdn men's match since the late 80s.

Other than Olympics, they don't spend too much money on sports. They're good for burgeoning Canadian leagues and new Canadian teams TSN/SN aren't interested in yet.

5 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i like onesoccer now (after hating the idea of it when it first came out), and you guys make some very good points.

1. onesoccer is a niche service that caters to a niche crowd, the only one of it's type in canada (i argue that dazn is more of an nfl app than a soccer one. just shooting from the hip i bet there's 3/4 times more dazn subscribers for the nfl than soccer).

2. just about anyone that would purchase it already has, you'll see some trickling in every now and then, but there will be no boom in demand for it. casuals will not be lining up to pay to watch a sport they don't really care about.

3. i would hate for them to get mls, simply because the price would go up, and casual fans would just stop watching mls. narduch makes a good point about mls not wanting to be on a streaming service.

4. our national team fanbase is what it is. casuals might jump on board if we make the world cup, then they'll forget about it for 4 years.

5. people watching games streaming doesn't necessarily mean that they're not getting cable. for example, i watched almost all of the european championships on tsn.ca because i was at work, so did a bunch of my coworkers (and students watching in class 😆), all of us have tsn as part of our cable package so we could stream the games for free. not really sure what the point of me mentioning this is, maybe just trying to get guys to not be so dismissive about cable.

like i said, when i first heard about onesoccer i was p*ssed, i thought the csa was missing a great opportunity to grow the fanbase. but as i think about it, this fanbase is what it is (like i said before) and the service caters to us so i like it. 

I don’t have any numbers but I think soccer drives >50% of DAZN’s subs. You can get at least 8 NFL matches on tv per week and all playoffs are on tv. As of last season, TSN subscribers got Red Zone as a streaming option. So, DAZN is now only worthwhile for those who want guaranteed access to all the games of their favourite NFL team. In terms of quantity, soccer content dominates DAZN and is on 10 months of the year. They show 2 of the top 5 soccer media properties. 

As we saw with the Canadian women, doing well in big tourneys builds a fan base over time. Canada men will need to make the World Cup and then at least not underperform. Then, in the next 4 year cycle, more people will be subscribe to OneSoccer to watch Canada in the Gold Cup, maybe Nations League and some high profile friendlies. Then rinse and repeat every 4 years. That’s why not having this Gold Cup on tv isn’t an issue. Gold Cup has been on tv for 30 years and never moved the needle even with a win and a semi appearance. Canada World Cup success also won’t be enough for OneSoccer. The CPL interest needs to grow and they’ll probably need rights to a top 5 league.

We see this with the US men. Making World Cups built their fan base over time and then having a World Cup moment (US have had 4) accelerated the process. But based on tv ratings, most still only watch the US men during the World Cup and if they make the Gold Cup/Nations League final. The US women get 2/3x higher ratings for their friendlies but they have won some bigger things.

Ex World Cup and CL Final, being on tv isn’t also the be all anymore. As a US media observer recently noted, he sees quite a bit of young Americans wearing PSG and Dortmund jerseys. But this level of interest isn’t seen in ligue 1 or Bundesliga tv ratings. Instead, he believes it is people just interested in one high profile player via social media and/or playing them or team on EA FIFA. PSG is also marketing itself as a fashion brand. 

Edited by red card

Kind of a similar question to the one above: Is there a reason why York can't do like Cavalry and have the main camera mounted on a cherry-picker on the empty side of the pitch so we can actually see the stands? I get that the broadcasting services are probably designed for the stands side, but God, is it ever sad watching a top flight match and seeing zero supporters on camera. 

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think the supporters and the cameras tend to be on the same side for the same reason: neither wants to be staring into the sun.

Fair. I just wish it didn't make for such bad viewing on TV. 

Sidenote: Seeing as we still don't have authoritative viewership figures from One Soccer directly, I'm still keeping tabs on their Youtube viewership. It seems like the CMNT and CWNT matches the last few months have definitely had an impact. They had about 1,800,000 views across all videos and 11,000 followers in January of this year; they hit the 5,000,000 views mark as of this morning with over 22,000 followers. It also seems like there's a "rising tide lifts all boats" effect as I'm seeing that their CPL and One Soccer Today videos are generally getting more views more quickly nowadays. Fingers crossed they keep getting more folks interested in the league and considering a subscription. 

I think OneSoccer is a test platform for Media Pro, since they have no experience with streaming. They're not learning too quickly, or maybe are limiting spending on it. 

The Media Pro model is in indeed to sell on rights to non streaming TV stations. They did it the 1st year and surely will continue. 

Do we know for sure that there was an actual rights fee paid by CBC and it wasn't a series of paid infomercials to drive future Onesoccer subscriptions and make the league visible to a wider cable audience initially?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

11 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

...but God, is it ever sad watching a top flight match and seeing zero supporters on camera. 

Avoiding the obvious cheap shot the concern is probably over what the optics would be like pointing the camera at the seating in the reverse angle when the Forge are not the visitors or it isn't a Canadian Championship game against MLS opposition. Breaking into four figures in terms of a core following was always going to be challenging in the GTA for something with a budget comparable to the Rockets and Blizzard in the CSL or the Lynx in the A League.

The pre-launch talk of building a 12,000 seater SSS out in the boonies was a red flag that some of the people involved had lost contact with the realities of Canadian pro soccer. Fingers crossed Saskatoon actually happens and provides a second Halifax. The sort of markets that are most likely to view a CanPL game as a major live entertainment event are the sort of markets where a CHL junior hockey team is a very big deal in local media terms rather than a footnote.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot