Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

While technically true, I would suggest there's a bigger difference between subscribing to TSN in some form and subscribing to a specialized soccer streaming service.

When DAZN was picking up the EPL, I recall them hoping that 33% of regular viewers would subscribe.  No idea if they hit that number.  But, if that was the best case scenario for a major soccer property, I don't think that's healthy for the sport in Canada.

While there are more subscribers to TSN than OneSoccer, I do not think that just having subscribers creates new viewers. People are less likely to passively watch a channel than they were in previous times. If they want to watch Netflix they will actively choose what they want. Even if they watch sports on cable they may just record it to watch later. I think that social media like Twitter and YouTube and also social groups are a much larger influence on people getting into the sport.

All of that ignoring the fact that TSN and other major networks have hurt soccer by owning the rights to competitions and either do not even show the games or relegate them to 2nd tier properties.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry, why are you posting these articles about the CPL (as in Caribbean Premier League - cricket)?  

MLS is behind a paywall right now on TSN.

No.  In the past, games like this would not have been broadcast at all.  The upcoming World Cup qualifying games would have been still up in the air and we'd be waiting until the last minute to see if

Posted Images

Does anyone else use OneSoccer on Android and Chromecast? I've been trying to troubleshoot whether it's an issue with my tech or whether it's a universal OneSoccer issue.

The sound is not synched when casting to my TV/Chromecast (Chromecast with Google TV).  It works fine on my phone or in a browser but when I cast it is completely out of synch.  Anyone know of a solution?

No response from OneSoccer Help and it also appears I'm not the only one dealing with it looking at the comments on Google Play: OneSoccer / Soccer live streaming - Apps on Google Play 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kent said:

I have that problem too, and I'm using the iPhone app. So it doesn't seem unique to Android, but rather Chromecast.

Thanks for the reply.  Let's hope they can get that figured out soon, I'm sure when it's not working it turns a lot of people off.  Really doesn't help sell the product.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Watchmen said:

While technically true, I would suggest there's a bigger difference between subscribing to TSN in some form and subscribing to a specialized soccer streaming service.

That's true. TSN is a LOT more expensive.

The amount of angst I see about paying $6.25 a month for OneSoccer is bizarre given what TSN charges - and what I see people spending on food and drinks at BMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So that stadium where TFC is playing tonight in Leon, the last time Canada’s men were in the World Cup in 1986 and the the first and only time , Canada played France in their first game of the 1986 World Cup losing 1-0 to France .

We should've gotten something from that game, even though France were one of the best teams in the world at the time. If I recall correctly, they scored the only goal of the game quite late, and the Duze had hit the post with a shot a short time earlier. Had we gotten a result there, who knows what might have been different in the other 2 group games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

We should've gotten something from that game, even though France were one of the best teams in the world at the time. If I recall correctly, they scored the only goal of the game quite late, and the Duze had hit the post with a shot a short time earlier. Had we gotten a result there, who knows what might have been different in the other 2 group games.

Yes we deserved a tie in that game. Canada was tactically sound and we kept an extremely talented French team at bay for almost all of it. Btw I don't think we hit the post but the pole that supports the net in the back. Made the whole net shake and look like we scored if I recall correctly. I dream of the day Canada is in it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Yes we deserved a tie in that game. Canada was tactically sound and we kept an extremely talented French team at bay for almost all of it. Btw I don't think we hit the post but the pole that supports the net in the back. Made the whole net shake and look like we scored if I recall correctly. I dream of the day Canada is in it again.

Ya I think that was a Dale Mitchell free kick if I recall correctly and yes I thought it was in by the way the net was shaking after that shot. Great memories, Tony Waiters set them up so that they didn’t get embarrassed, however, it was interesting to hear Gery Gray on a podcast just recently say that he believed that Waiters should have let them play a little less defensively, believing that goals would have been scored for Canada in that World Cup. I think Gray believed that the players were there for a goal or two to be scored if Waiters would have let them express themselves a bit more . However, can’t really blame Waiters for playing that style considering the opposition they faced. Just getting them there to that World Cup was quite an achievement and still is the only coach that has taken a Canadian men’s national team to a World Cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longlugan said:

Yes we deserved a tie in that game. Canada was tactically sound and we kept an extremely talented French team at bay for almost all of it. Btw I don't think we hit the post but the pole that supports the net in the back. Made the whole net shake and look like we scored if I recall correctly. I dream of the day Canada is in it again.

I don’t think that was France match. I think it was one of the other two matches.  And I believe SoccMan is correct in that it was Mitchell. I think Ian Bridge headed against the post or was close in one of those two matches as well
in the France match, it was Vrablic that had the best chance if memory serves. I think he got around the keeper but the defender cleared off the line

Edited by An Observer
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Don't remember what game (got to check my VHS tapes😀) that Bobby L.'s foot hit the ground before the ball on a wide open net.

A ball dropped to him about 6-8 yards out right in the middle of the box, and he blasted it over the bar. That was when it was still a draw I believe, before Papin scored. I don't think we had any more decent chances vs. France, but they did not roll over us either. Remember that was vs Platini and they were the European champions. 

Many thought that Waiters should have given more minutes to Branko Segota, who only got second half minutes. 

I watched that match in odd circumstances. I was doing summer gardening with a friend in Vancouver and we had access to a house we were doing, and went in and watched for those two hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't Segota playing indoor soccer at that time and therefore fitness was a problem?

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A ball dropped to him about 6-8 yards out right in the middle of the box, and he blasted it over the bar. That was when it was still a draw I believe, before Papin scored. I don't think we had any more decent chances vs. France, but they did not roll over us either. Remember that was vs Platini and they were the European champions. 

Many thought that Waiters should have given more minutes to Branko Segota, who only got second half minutes. 

I watched that match in odd circumstances. I was doing summer gardening with a friend in Vancouver and we had access to a house we were doing, and went in and watched for those two hours.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 6:58 PM, SoccMan said:

Are all the Champions League games on One Soccer?

To add to the response you already got, all the games are on either OneSoccer or on their youtube channel. Kind of annoyingly, the games that are free on youtube aren't also on the OneSoccer app (at least live, I haven't checked to see if replays are on it). So last night after the TFC game I couldn't find the late game on the app, ended up having to leave the app and find it on youtube.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 8:52 PM, Watchmen said:

While technically true, I would suggest there's a bigger difference between subscribing to TSN in some form and subscribing to a specialized soccer streaming service.

When DAZN was picking up the EPL, I recall them hoping that 33% of regular viewers would subscribe.  No idea if they hit that number.  But, if that was the best case scenario for a major soccer property, I don't think that's healthy for the sport in Canada.

Count me as a lazy millennial but it's just more convenient to chromecast than pick up the controller and search for my game🤣

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Wasn't Segota playing indoor soccer at that time and therefore fitness was a problem?

 

Ya I think that might have been it with Segota , also think his indoor team went deep into the indoor finals , think he was playing with the San Diego Sockers and they were a dynasty in the old MISL winning so many championships. MISL season was similar to the NHL going from October to May . Keep in mind back then in 1986 there was no real outdoor American or Canadian league or North American League , the old NASL had folded in 1984 where a lot of the 1986 Canadian World Cup players had played . Indoor soccer MISL was pretty big back then some teams in the US were outdrawing their NHL teams . Not only Segota but a few more of that Canadian team were playing indoor in the MISL . Moreover , salaries in the MISL were pretty good with the vast majority of MISL players making a decent living , Segota was making around 100000 grand a year , in 1986 a 100000 was major money lol. Segota for me was probably one of the best Canadian strikers having watched him play many times . He had a very good career in the old NASL too , probably comparable to a Cavallini in terms of his style of play . But ya unfortunate he wasn’t able to get more minutes in that World Cup due to fitness problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Ya I think that might have been it with Segota , 

It definitely was Segota and he came on as a sub and made quite a difference.  Problem was that playing indoor arena football meant that he didn't have the fitness to run 90 minutes in the heat and altitude of mexico so could only be an impact sub.  Tino Letierri was also impacted but he was a goalkeeper so less of a fitness issue.  Plus the emergence of Paul Dolan leading up to the World Cup meant it was less of an issue.  Letierri was the number 1 in qualifying though and started I think the last match at the World Cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, narduch said:

Anyone else suddenly lose access to One Soccer?

I bought my subscription right before Island games.

Alas my account ran out today too. I renewed for a year.  

When I looked about a month ago it said next payment today. I have zero idea how they worked it out to April 13th. I signed up before the Island games too. Thought maybe they would honour a year but I won't complain too much as originally the Season pass was due to run out in December. So I got the past 4 months at least. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Alas my account ran out today too. I renewed for a year.  

When I looked about a month ago it said next payment today. I have zero idea how they worked it out to April 13th. I signed up before the Island games too. Thought maybe they would honour a year but I won't complain too much as originally the Season pass was due to run out in December. So I got the past 4 months at least. 

Yeah, that was My understanding as well.  Last year’s sub was just for the IG, and not for a 365 day period.  So I think you people were in bonus time for the last little while.  

Fortunately, they have gone back to a one-year sub so that should make it more consistent.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...