OneSoccer

Foreen

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I wonder what the cost of sub letting the Lille games are?

How would people feel if the strategy was actually picking up games/teams with Canadians in it rather than random leagues. 

Honestly I haven't invested any time in any of the Brazilian/Mexican or womens games as I have no reason to invest in it so won't set aside time. Would I watch Besiktas games, Bayern for Davies, Eustaquios? Likely. Hell probably the majority of us hardcores that have one soccer would watch more Charlton games than people that watch the Brazilian games. 

Really make it the Canadian hub. Maybe its to expense in comparison to buying rights to entire leagues. Would be an interesting approach though.

But does it grow One Soccer?  It caters to the people who have already subscribed.  I mean, it's not a bad thing to try to keep your viewers happy, but the base of subscribers is pretty small.  I'm assuming what they've tried to do is target "big" leagues that non-Canadian soccer fans might be interested in.  At the same time, I feel like they're missing the what should be the best combination of everything: the Scottish Premier League.  It has Canadians playing on multiple teams, it has a couple of teams with fanatical fan bases that would surely subscribe to the service, and the league can't cost nearly as much as some of the bigger leagues.

On 3/30/2021 at 7:37 AM, m-g-williams said:

Also, for what it's worth: In the absence of official viewership/revenue info from One Soccer, I've been keeping an eye on the numbers from their Youtube Channel. As I write this, they've managed a cumulative total of 2,220,623 views (across all videos) in less than two years, with a big bump (circa 400,000) coming in the last couple of weeks with the Olympic/WC qualifiers. The Canada-Cayman Islands highlights already have 81,630 views - and they were only uploaded 14 hours ago. If they can keep expanding their rights to quality content and bring in more viewers, I think this will start to make a difference not only in paid subscriptions but in people getting more curious about the CPL. 

I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, but their cumulative Youtube views have gone up by almost 10% in 1 day!!

I believe the Canada v Cayman Islands highlights is their most watched video ever, with over 237,000 views. I'm not sure how much this really matters though, when their CPL interviews and coverage can be in the triple digits.

19 hours ago, narduch said:

My theory is nothing.

I noticed BeIn shows old CPL games in order to maintain their Canadian content.

I figure they made a deal.

I think the deal they made also included OneSoccer Today show - BEIN shows it around 11pm.

BEIN's Canadian content has been pretty skimpy - fishing shows, 4th tier fighting & even a CSL hilite show. 

Apologies if this has already been discussed here and I missed it: Is there no way to hear English-language commentary for the Liga MX matches on One Soccer? I've had no issues for their Ligue 1 coverage, and the few Brasileiro matches I've checked out have been fine. But for the life of me I can't figure out the Liga MX ones (which is a shame, because I'd love to get into that league more). 

36 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed here and I missed it: Is there no way to hear English-language commentary for the Liga MX matches on One Soccer? I've had no issues for their Ligue 1 coverage, and the few Brasileiro matches I've checked out have been fine. But for the life of me I can't figure out the Liga MX ones (which is a shame, because I'd love to get into that league more). 

Ya it’s a joke really I pay for the service and I have to watch Liga Mex games with no commentary , it’s a good league and if your going to shown these games give us the commentary however bad it may be.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Ya it’s a joke really I pay for the service and I have to watch Liga Mex games with no commentary , it’s a good league and if your going to shown these games give us the commentary however bad it may be.

Are they still showing the Spanish women's league, with the English commentary? 

It was fairly basic but worked.

I'm not on OS this year, have to watch spending. At least until CPL. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Are they still showing the Spanish women's league, with the English commentary? 

It was fairly basic but worked.

I'm not on OS this year, have to watch spending. At least until CPL. 

Yes, Spanish women's league has Spanish language commentary. Two were shown today and the replays are already up. 

When first shown in year one, ligaMX had English commentary. Wasn't that good as it seemed to be done by someone located in Canada.

I partially blame ligaMX because if they actually functioned as a league, they would supply or get world feed announcers as nearly all top 10 leagues do. Some clubs sell their tv rights themselves as they're owned by media giants who don't want to share.

Edited by red card

7 hours ago, red card said:

Yes, Spanish women's league has Spanish language commentary. Two were shown today and the replays are already up. 

When first shown in year one, ligaMX had English commentary. Wasn't that good as it seemed to be done by someone located in Canada.

I partially blame ligaMX because if they actually functioned as a league, they would supply or get world feed announcers as nearly all top 10 leagues do. Some clubs sell their tv rights themselves as they're owned by media giants who don't want to share.

I watched Spanish women the first year on One Soccer, out of curiosity (as we have many games here in Spain, and when I'm back in Canada it's summer) and commentary was in English. A Spanish guy with a decent accent and good knowledge. 

I suppose viewers are low, but IMO Canadian women players and club people should be watching for the quality and tactical play. 

I hope that Onesoccer will acquire the rights for MLS in Canada, but when I see how Andy and Kurt are happy to talk about TFC, I'm a lil bit thinkfull on the hypothetical unfair coverage
Edited by mtlsab

16 hours ago, mtlsab said:
I hope that Onesoccer will acquire the rights for MLS in Canada, but when I see how Andy and Kurt are happy to talk about TFC, I'm a lil bit thinkfull on the hypothetical unfair coverage

I don't. Not because I have anything against One Soccer, but because more and more leagues are going behind a paywall in this country and I don't think that's healthy for the sports growth.

4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

MLS is behind a paywall right now on TSN.

While technically true, I would suggest there's a bigger difference between subscribing to TSN in some form and subscribing to a specialized soccer streaming service.

When DAZN was picking up the EPL, I recall them hoping that 33% of regular viewers would subscribe.  No idea if they hit that number.  But, if that was the best case scenario for a major soccer property, I don't think that's healthy for the sport in Canada.

Edited by Watchmen

DAZN isn't a specialized soccer streaming service. It started off with NFL in Canada and now carries rugby, basketball, hockey, cricket, boxing, darts, college football along with a bunch of soccer.

Moving second or third tier soccer in terms of tv ratings to a soccer only streaming services doesn't really matter for the sport. Other than when TFC made the CCL final, not too many were watching. Beyond TFC/Forge matches, TSN barely showed CCL anyway. Some were streamed and some were not shown at all. 

The two most viewed soccer properties on Canadian tv - the World Cup & Euros - are still on TSN. Olympic soccer which has been the main driver of Canadian women's soccer is still on CBC/TSN/SN. And overall, the number of soccer matches on tv is probably the same vs 5 years ago since SN has subbed in other leagues, TSN is showing more MLS and TLN/CBC + American networks have slightly increased soccer showings.

35 minutes ago, red card said:

Moving second or third tier soccer in terms of tv ratings to a soccer only streaming services doesn't really matter for the sport. Other than when TFC made the CCL final, not too many were watching. Beyond TFC/Forge matches, TSN barely showed CCL anyway. Some were streamed and some were not shown at all. 

The two most viewed soccer properties on Canadian tv - the World Cup & Euros - are still on TSN. Olympic soccer which has been the main driver of Canadian women's soccer is still on CBC/TSN/SN. And overall, the number of soccer matches on tv is probably the same vs 5 years ago since SN has subbed in other leagues, TSN is showing more MLS and TLN/CBC + American networks have slightly increased soccer showings.

The discussion began with "One Soccer should acquire MLS", which would take it off TSN.  Ratings for TFC's finals appearances were always strong, as was the Montreal vs TFC conference final.  World Cup and Euros are major and draw great ratings, but that's one month every 2 years.

46 minutes ago, red card said:

I'd disagree with that. Looking strickly at cable tv - EPL is gone, Champions League and Europa League has gone. Bundesliga was shifted from World to the regular network.  MLS might have increased a bit. CPL has a limited presence still.  With DAZN and One Soccer (and Bein I guess) there's more soccer available than ever before, but it requires you to be a bit more invested already, I think.