OneSoccer

Foreen

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

I thought they already had all the rights to the Canadian national games and this was just a bit of a PR exercise. Would make sense it's the whole tournaments?

I believe the rights of Canadian National Team games where for games that were on Canadian soil only.

18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Make sure you get the cash upfront from them.

You are suggesting the Mediapro deal is not good for Canadian soccer or the CPL because we are on a ten-year payment schedule?

Really, some people are so dumb, because it is cheap enough humour to not be really funny (meaning I am overreacting, fine, I admit it). It is not like Canada had a long waiting list of potential media partners. We had virtually no one else in the wings. I am not sure Concacaf is really swamped with suitors either. And we don't even know what they are paying, probably not very much but who knows (how do you calculate growth potential for international soccer in Central America or the Caribbean, must be hard).

The comment is based on Mediapro defaulting on their French deal. Which we also know was overbid, and then sorely affected by the pandemic cutting into their possibilities for generating revenue. True, Mediapro screwed up there, but have not in Canada. In France, 2 months after the French league broke with Mediapro, they still have not signed an agreement with anyone else. Canal Plus generously offered 35 million more on top of the 300 million euros they already paid for partial rights to broadcast the entire season. Mediapro paid them 100 million just to break the deal and avoid legal liability.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are suggesting the Mediapro deal is not good for Canadian soccer or the CPL because we are on a ten-year payment schedule?

Really, some people are so dumb, because it is cheap enough humour to not be really funny (meaning I am overreacting, fine, I admit it). It is not like Canada had a long waiting list of potential media partners. We had virtually no one else in the wings. I am not sure Concacaf is really swamped with suitors either. And we don't even know what they are paying, probably not very much but who knows (how do you calculate growth potential for international soccer in Central America or the Caribbean, must be hard).

The comment is based on Mediapro defaulting on their French deal. Which we also know was overbid, and then sorely affected by the pandemic cutting into their possibilities for generating revenue. True, Mediapro screwed up there, but have not in Canada. In France, 2 months after the French league broke with Mediapro, they still have not signed an agreement with anyone else. Canal Plus generously offered 35 million more on top of the 300 million euros they already paid for partial rights to broadcast the entire season. Mediapro paid them 100 million just to break the deal and avoid legal liability.

I'm not sure i agree with this characterization of what happened in France. League1 did not provide the service Mediapro paid for. They canceled the season. Then when they returned, you could argue many things including the product had changed. If you recall the reason all the leagues scrambled to finish last season was because they were contractually obligated to provide a product to their media partners. Of course there are arguments on either side but its not like Mediapro just said hey France we don't want to pay you so there deal with it without any basis. 

But don't get it twisted, im supporting the overall theme of your comment 

Edited by SpursFlu

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not sure i agree with this characterization of what happened in France. League1 did not provide the service Mediapro paid for. They canceled the season. Then when they returned, you could argue many things including the product had changed. If you recall the reason all the leagues scrambled to finish last season was because they were contractually obligated to provide a product to their media partners. Of course there are arguments on either side but its not like Mediapro just said hey France we don't want to pay you so there deal with it without any basis

The MediaPro deal kicked in this season, not last.

And Mediapro never said the French league had defaulted on the product, only argued that no fans in stadiums harmed their path this past autumn to promoting tv subscriptions, as ambience was a factor. But this could not seriously be calculated as being any more than a 10-15% factor in sales losses, I think that tv audiences have compensated in Europe precisely because folks are at home. They had to set up their own platform, and still got 600,000 subscribers which is a lot--though their numbers needed 2 million. Mediapro miscalculated. And then calculated with extreme accuracy to cut their losses. 

The CPL deal is peanuts compared to this. That they have kept up their bidding and expansion projects suggests they are not just battening down the hatches and holding on, they are refocusing their activity. 

40 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have at no point suggested that the Mediapro deal is a bad one for Canadian soccer or the CPL.  I've definitely complained that we don't know the details on it, and that I suspect it's much more "services" than "cash" than people think, which distorts the "$20 million a year" figure.  But neither of those things make it a bad deal.

However, this deal involves CONCACAF and not Canada, and I would suggest that CONCACAF should maybe have approached it with more skepticism. Now, the better counter argument might be that this deal seems to have Mediapro acting more as a third party broker, which based on their history I would say they've done better at.  I would also suspect that Mediapros relationship with Montagliani (through the CPL/Canada Soccer) most certainly played a part in landing this contract.  People can decide for themselves if that's good or bad.

I think at this point, it's been demonstrably proven that covid didn't impact Mediapro's defaulting on the Ligue 1 rights.  They overpaid for the rights with the thought that they'd be able to sell them on for an additional increase, something they'd been successful at elsewhere.  When Canal Plus declined (and partnered with Bein on the remaining rights), Mediapro was forced to set up their own channel.  All of this happened before the pandemic.  The channel then had an incredibly low subscription rate.  Maybe you'll argue that this was caused by the pandemic, but any new service was likely to start with lower numbers, and viewership in both England and Germany was up last year for their respective leagues (which was Ligue 1's counterpoint to Mediapro during renegotiations).  

Edit: I saw your post aftwards.  I do think we're on the same page with it all.

Edited by Watchmen

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, red card said:

Looks like a good night of football on Mar 25th as they got rid of the overlap. Senior team match pushed back 30 mins and Olympic match pushed forward 30 mins. 

I think that's for the half hour pre game show for the Bermuda game. Match is still 8pm ET

The Olympic game is showing 10pm ET on Concacaf site.

Edited by narduch

I know this was discussed a couple years ago but with all the games coming up and new tech, I'm looking for ways to be able to watch this on my TV. I used to use an HDMI cable hooked up to my laptop but figured there must be a better way now. Thanks in advance, BTW, I have a Samsung Smart TV.

Edited by johnyb

26 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I know this was discussed a couple years ago but with all the games coming up and new tech, I'm looking for ways to be able to watch this on my TV. I used to use an HDMI cable hooked up to my laptop but figured there must be a better way now. Thanks in advance, BTW, I have a Samsung Smart TV.

I am by no means a tech expert, closer to a dinosaur but I have experienced doing this recently, the easiest way is if you can download the OneSoccer app on the smart TV, I'm not sure if that is possible otherwise you have to go through screen mirroring on your laptop and TV, it is much easier on Apple but I was able to do it with a bit of work on my wife's Dell! Maybe some techies can be more specific but as I say if I can do it, it is possible, Google is your friend!

edit OneSoccer app is not available for Google Play on my Sony Bravia so it probably won't be on you Samsung, screen mirroring will be what you have to set up!

Edited by gator

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

You can use chrome cast, it works great for me. It’s a receiver that plugs into the back of your tv and the app picks it up using wifi