OneSoccer

Foreen

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Those MLS numbers are pathetic.

TSN's acknowledgement of soccer, sadly, is pathetic.  They barely promote it.  TSN's website doesn't even have an article on last night's game unless you scroll to "Soccer" on their sports ribbon.  I usually stream the MLS games in the background while watching the CPL when there's a time conflict.  Yesterday, their "What's On TSN" on the front page was NBA and US Open "early round coverage", without a mention of TFC and Impact. Today, it's US Open, NBA, and AEW wrestling, which shows their priorities.  

I find it a bit ridiculous that I know more about TSN's soccer schedule (including which channels, like TSN 1, 4 or 5) through the MLS website than through TSN itself.  

46 minutes ago, Trois Reds said:

TSN's acknowledgement of soccer, sadly, is pathetic.  They barely promote it.  TSN's website doesn't even have an article on last night's game unless you scroll to "Soccer" on their sports ribbon.  I usually stream the MLS games in the background while watching the CPL when there's a time conflict.  Yesterday, their "What's On TSN" on the front page was NBA and US Open "early round coverage", without a mention of TFC and Impact. Today, it's US Open, NBA, and AEW wrestling, which shows their priorities.  

I find it a bit ridiculous that I know more about TSN's soccer schedule (including which channels, like TSN 1, 4 or 5) through the MLS website than through TSN itself.  

TSN is Canadian rights holder for the UEFA Nations League and they're not broadcasting any games this weekend.

1 hour ago, Trois Reds said:

43 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

TSN is Canadian rights holder for the UEFA Nations League and they're not broadcasting any games this weekend.

So...any doubters about MediaPro snatching the Canadian rights for MLS from TSN?

I think they will. I don't see TSN going past a certain amount to keep the rights

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So...any doubters about MediaPro snatching the Canadian rights for MLS from TSN?

I think they will. I don't see TSN going past a certain amount to keep the rights

TSN is cheap and not forward thinking so I have no doubt they rights can be taken.

I think the biggest obstacle is MLS wanting some games on traditional broadcast format.

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

TSN is cheap and not forward thinking so I have no doubt they rights can be taken.

I think the biggest obstacle is MLS wanting some games on traditional broadcast format.

MediaPro had said that they wanted to launch their own channels in Canada. Securing MLS rights and more leagues would make that fly. Also, they are offering MLS the potential to sell games to CBC giving that league an unprecedented access to the most Canadian households they ever did.

Hard to beat

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MediaPro had said that they wanted to launch their own channels in Canada. Securing MLS rights and more leagues would make that fly. Also, they are offering MLS the potential to sell games to CBC giving that league an unprecedented access to the most Canadian households they ever did.

Hard to beat

You can't just snap your fingers and start a TV channel in Canada. You need to apply with the CRTC which can take months (years).

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Latest TV ratings MLS vs CanPL 

Do these count PVR numbers? I never know how they work it out.

I wonder if the first game numbers are always low because of the time of day it airs or because people prefer to watch it live on OneSoccer? Shame OneSoccer don't share their info on how many people are watching. Very interested to see what the real gap is like between MLS and CPL. 

If fans were in attendance that might level out the tv viewership gap too? Canadian MLS clubs average around 20k, so that is potentially (obviously not realistically but potentially) around 20k of the above figures fans that might usually be attendance. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

While Bell are invested in the league they will likely try to keep it. I think that is where the worm turns with the CPL, if Bell breaks with the Whitecaps or the CPL can get Bell on board with the league.

Dazn carries MLS games other than the Canadian teams don't they, thats what it seems anyway? TSN maybe sells them some games. They don't always stream non Canadian games on TSN. Seems inconsistent. 

Did we hear any ratings numbers for MLS is Back? Were they any better than the current MLS ratings?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the MLS ratings are hurt right now by the format of the Canadian teams just playing each other, completely disconnected from the rest of the league, with no announced plan for this changing.

The CPL numbers once again are encouraging!

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

TSN has put previous Nations League matches as a stream since it is basically transmitting the world feed or ESPN. But none listed so far on their streaming schedule.

But ABC will be showing 2 matches on Saturday: ISL v ENG & POR vs CRO.

So TSN at this point not showing even England is new level of disregard for the sport. Also not scheduled to show GER vs ESP tomorrow even though it can be picked up easily and likely free via ESPN2. 

Edited by red card

11 hours ago, red card said:

TSN has put previous Nations League matches as a stream since it is basically transmitting the world feed or ESPN. But none listed so far on their streaming schedule.

But ABC will be showing 2 matches on Saturday: ISL v ENG & POR vs CRO.

So TSN at this point not showing even England is new level of disregard for the sport. Also not scheduled to show GER vs ESP tomorrow even though it can be picked up easily and likely free via ESPN2. 

Looks like you can watch Nations League on uefa website

17 hours ago, toontownman said:

Do these count PVR numbers? I never know how they work it out.

I wonder if the first game numbers are always low because of the time of day it airs or because people prefer to watch it live on OneSoccer? Shame OneSoccer don't share their info on how many people are watching. Very interested to see what the real gap is like between MLS and CPL. 

If fans were in attendance that might level out the tv viewership gap too? Canadian MLS clubs average around 20k, so that is potentially (obviously not realistically but potentially) around 20k of the above figures fans that might usually be attendance. 

It could be the opposite. People just might not find supporterless MLS soccer appealing to watch so ratings could be hit because of that.

I have to write that I do not envy whomever it is that has the responsibility of figuring out viewership numbers, across platforms.

I watched three of those matches and the only one where I'd have counted was the Montreal Toronto match.  The CanPL matches I took in on OneSoccer.  And I could have, had I been inclined, caught the MLS match on DAZN.

Really not sure why I still subscribe to TSN.  Very rare I watch it anymore.  CFL and NHL I usually take in socially so...

On 9/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, Kadenge said:

Weird...it was listed a few days ago

For some European countries, DAZN has the rights to UEFA Nation's League. You can check which countries on Wiki. Austria I think is one...Germany to.

Gonna let you in on a little secret...you switch your IP address to a VPN for the country in question, you will get that country's content.

I came to this realization when I logged into DAZN on my work laptop. My company's internet runs on an American VPN, which renders my DAZN useless for soccer since American DAZN is heavily boxing centric. 

Edited by Macksam