OneSoccer

Foreen

1 minute ago, narduch said:

My guess is to put more emphasis on their studio Shows?

Makes sense. But majority of the studio guys did commentary last year. How much would it really have costed them to include in their contracts.

It sounds weird/amateurish to have one person doing play by play and colour commentary.

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

Makes sense. But majority of the studio guys did commentary last year. How much would it really have costed them to include in their contracts.

It sounds weird/amateurish to have one person doing play by play and colour commentary.

Am I crazy or is it not common for World Cup games to have a single commentator? Like, group stage games at least.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think even last year they only did 2-person play by play on Saturdays. The midweek games were 1 person

I'm enjoying Nigel Reed and Craig Forest on CBC though.

I think I am just conditioned to the classic English lead commentator voice Reed that makes him sound professional. Seemed a shame they dropped him from OneSoccer. Take him any day over Wheeler though. I think its fine to have the zany character in the studio to compliment the other pundits (I love the collection of characters and how they have been interacting this year) but I hate the OTT commentary and reactions. Again it's the conditioning. If I grew up in Italy or South American I would probably mind the insane reactions less as it is what I was used to.

One Nation has been good value from my perspective. Dunfield is an easy target for abuse. Sharman is a great shit stirrer. The Forest/Dichio interaction on fans return in the MLS was fantastic. 

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Am I crazy or is it not common for World Cup games to have a single commentator? Like, group stage games at least.

On the FIFA telecasts that we see, yes, that's how they do it. The broadcasters who have paid the big bucks use their own commentary crews and do their own thing.

For me Brendan Dunlop is the weakest play by play guy. Exact opposite of @toontownman‘s critique of Wheeler. I can’t remember which game it was I was watching, it was relatively boring and Dunlop was making it worse. I was wishing Wheeler was making the call to give it a bit more life. As long as Wheeler doesn’t get too repetitive (“he read that play like a children’s book”) he is great in my books.

@KentPerfect explanation of how I felt. And that’s exactly why I felt he needed another guy with him.

At first I was like....wait Brendan Dunlop, the Sportsnet guy who gets the fringe work...He knows soccer. And sure enough it didn’t sound like it - making weird references.

Wheeler can be a bit over the top, but hey I don’t mind it. He brings energy.

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

@KentPerfect explanation of how I felt. And that’s exactly why I felt he needed another guy with him.

At first I was like....wait Brendan Dunlop, the Sportsnet guy who gets the fringe work...He knows soccer. And sure enough it didn’t sound like it - making weird references.

Wheeler can be a bit over the top, but hey I don’t mind it. He brings energy.

Dunlop used to be on Fox Sports World too.

Ha. Totally agree. There has to be a happy medium!

I liked Dunlop at first as it was a complete contrast and respite from Wheeler but that is nail on the head. I lived with it as I liked the contrast but you are both completley right. Definitely more errors with confusing players too.

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Ha. Totally agree. There has to be a happy medium!

I liked Dunlop at first as it was a complete contrast and respite from Wheeler but that is nail on the head. I lived with it as I liked the contrast but you are both completley right. Definitely more errors with confusing players too.

I think the Dunlop's errors are more noticeable because he actually corrects himself when he gets the wrong player.

Just now, jonovision said:

I think the Dunlop's errors are more noticeable because he actually corrects himself when he gets the wrong player.

Lol this is true. Almost reminds me of the famous “pardon me” that Gerry Dobson used to always say. 

With Wheeler it’s “Kwame Awuah with the massive block”....I’m like wait that’s Samuel two completely different body types.

I'm sure this has been asked and the answer posted , I'm too lazy to go back through the whole thread: How soon are the matches archived on the site after the completion of the match? I won't be able to watch the Forge/York 9 match live tomorrow, I can avoid the result for some time and watch it later!

7 minutes ago, gator said:

I'm sure this has been asked and the answer posted , I'm too lazy to go back through the whole thread: How soon are the matches archived on the site after the completion of the match? I won't be able to watch the Forge/York 9 match live tomorrow, I can avoid the result for some time and watch it later!

Usually by the next morning 

20 hours ago, Kent said:

14 hours ago, Blizzard said:

On the FIFA telecasts that we see, yes, that's how they do it. The broadcasters who have paid the big bucks use their own commentary crews and do their own thing.

I vastly prefer a one-person commentary.  With two people, there is way too much chatter as they feel they need to maintain a conversation.  I found some of the colour commentators on DAZN particularly grating this season. 

Edited by sstackho

I dont mind the 2 person commentary, nice to have another opinion, the second guy watching and analyzing.  But they sure dont need to be chatty cathys, let the game flow a bit.  Need a little bit of a story teller vibe, and the confidence to know when to be quiet/pause.  

16 hours ago, jonovision said:

Was it Wheeler on the call for the first ever CPL game who misidentified the first ever goal scorer?

It was he thought Telfer was Rollocks.  That was a bad time to make a mistake, the replays that will be shown for years will be minus his voice because of it.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

For me Brendan Dunlop is the weakest play by play guy. Exact opposite of @toontownman‘s critique of Wheeler. I can’t remember which game it was I was watching, it was relatively boring and Dunlop was making it worse. I was wishing Wheeler was making the call to give it a bit more life. As long as Wheeler doesn’t get too repetitive (“he read that play like a children’s book”) he is great in my books.

I like Dunlop but I don't think being in game commentator is the role he's strongest at.  A weekly run down show, an in studio show I think he would excel but that's Asa's role right now.  

I think everyone who watches sports think that they could be a commentator at times.  We watch our teams and after hours spent following them we know starters and subs by the way they walk/run, or the way they stretch in warm ups.  We know their back stories and their current issues but play by play guys are constantly moving from team to team.  In a small league like the CPL that kind of familiarity won't take as long but we shouldn't expect it one week in from someone who is new to the role.  Good play by play guys get that way because they put in a lot of work behind the scenes to get to that point. 

11 hours ago, Shway said:

I can’t be the only one still experiencing issues?

Tonights game there was sooo many glitches.

I only watched the first half and it never dropped the stream. I had trouble the first time casting from my phone to the TV but the second time it worked. Even little bugs like that will be a huge bother for people coming from cable. They really need to improve the technical side of their streaming service. The experience of getting the stream running and keeping it running is as important as the quality of the product they are watching on the TV.