OneSoccer

Foreen

In Sharman's video clip tour of the studio he mentions one soccer having liga mx and the premier league? I thought he meant the CPL but in his next sentence he says and of course not forgetting the CPL canadian premier league. 

I assume it was either a slip, or they have a show where they talk about leagues around the world or premier league focus show.

He is a great addition.

Edited by toontownman
Auto correct

5 hours ago, narduch said:

So its just an announcement of a new News program and a confirmation of their on air talent.

One other new thing is that they got the rights to Gold Cup 21 & 23. TSN previously had them but they continue to reduce their football footprint.

http://news.onesoccer.ca/article/one-soccer-subscription-leagues

Edited by red card

I know everyone is kind of ticked off by the new Subcription fee for The Island Games. But you've gotta love what OneSoccer is doing here. The investment is real and meaningful. DAZN is a better value for sure, but having Sharmen, Forrest, Larson, Dunfield, etc all come on board is a major win for OneSoccer and it shows they're actually building something people should care about. DAZN has the Premier league and Champions league, and a bunch of other leagues that are top notch but if they losts the rights next year to either of the big two, they're just Bein Sports.

For me the Canadian National team and CPL are more important to me, and I love that some of the guys I grew up with covering this stuff will continue to do so on OneSoccer. 

The next step is to win some rights battles on meaningful leagues. Target #1 has to be the Bundesliga, which is up for grabs this year. Scotland and Italy would be nice but are currently spoken for. 

Just to add onto this, after some research some interesting properties are avaliable... Copa Del Rey, Eredivisie are both without rights holders in Canada and would be both high quality and have big name teams involved. There are some other options that could be had on the cheap as theyre only shown on youtube as well like the A-League. They do need more content for these new hires to talk about.

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

I think the fact its on their schedule confirms it. Times likely being adjusted. 

Anyone else get an email to update your centre circle app immediately for cool new features? No update currently available 2 hours after the email lol

I've never had that app, then offer out of the blue that update, first time I have ever gotten anything about it. 

I still have not signed up, I am busy with work, we have Champions League, the schedule is lousy for me. I feel badly about this, but I am not sure this is worth it to me. 

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've never had that app, then offer out of the blue that update, first time I have ever gotten anything about it. 

I still have not signed up, I am busy with work, we have Champions League, the schedule is lousy for me. I feel badly about this, but I am not sure this is worth it to me. 

If you have a CPL team you support it's likely more fun. It frustrates me as a neutral and there have been android issues. Feel like a broken record with that though, ha! 

The content is generally good though and I want to support. Same with onesoccer. I will likely curb and pay the price hike just to support. Not impressed though. The content better be increasing significantly to justify it.

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

It's not much, but at least it's something! 

Not much? That seems like exactly the right amount. More than enough for casual fans to remain engaged with the league but not so much that it devalues the OneSoccer subscription. 

Further, I don't think it was intentional but the article mentions "CPL Saturdays", and that's 100% branding that the league/CBC/OneSoccer should work on. It's the good alliteration sound like "Friday Night Football".

19 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Not much? That seems like exactly the right amount. More than enough for casual fans to remain engaged with the league but not so much that it devalues the OneSoccer subscription. 

Further, I don't think it was intentional but the article mentions "CPL Saturdays", and that's 100% branding that the league/CBC/OneSoccer should work on. It's the good alliteration sound like "Friday Night Football".

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're showing these matches. I was just hoping they'd do something more along the lines of last year where so many games were on TV and so many were on Gem/online. As long as this helps increase public exposure of the league, I'm game. 

Another media partnership announcement

I haven't compared the covered games to CBC, but this seems positive insofar as it increases casual exposure of the League/Games.  Having said that, it continues to erode the value proposition of becoming a OneSoccer subscriber.  At some point, they will need to decide if they want to be primarily a subscription service or a rights-holder and reseller of content, because it seems really challenging to be both.    

To be fair, MediaPro are more likely to see return on investment by cutting more of these deals than relying solely on OneSoccer alone.

Casuals are way more likely to tune in on TV than this all or nothing approach which doesn't seem to be effective this early on.

I still think that they will go through with their plan on having their own channel on cable once they have more content. 

Prediction: They go all out on the MLS Canadian rights outbidding the sports channels. They launch their cable channel once they get the rights which gives them all the rights for Canadian soccer and sole broadcasters of North American soccer in Canada.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Another media partnership announcement

I haven't compared the covered games to CBC, but this seems positive insofar as it increases casual exposure of the League/Games.  Having said that, it continues to erode the value proposition of becoming a OneSoccer subscriber.  At some point, they will need to decide if they want to be primarily a subscription service or a rights-holder and reseller of content, because it seems really challenging to be both.    

Looks like the CHCH deal is for the Sunday 3pm ET time slot.

Another option for OneSoccer is to follow what DAZN has done for certain events like Andreesecu in finals or Champions League final - put up a stream for free on twitter or youtube.

I believe MLS puts up a free TUDN spanish/english stream on twitter weekly or when it isn't carried by espn/fox.

But having some matches on CBC & CHCH helps to recoup some of OS costs as it is going to be a while before subscriber fees offset costs. I don't think a single streaming service in North America makes money - even Netflix has had negative free cash flow for the past decade or so. It's likey one of the reasons why OS has been streaming content on youtube during covid as it offers potential of some ad revenue from google.

From growing the league and sport angle, matches on tv will draw people who didn't subscribe to OS but are CPL supporters, some of the wider football segment and a bit of the broader sports fan segment. But it's not appointment viewing, so it's mostly getting sports people surfing channels who hopefully watch for at least 15 mins to be counted in the ratings.

But sports types don't go to CHCH and only pay attention to CBC for hockey and Olympics. So its a way for these networks to get a new audience segment. But they don't want to work too hard for it. So CBC opted for 1 hour delay as they don't want to spend on a studio show and also have track to show later. It also shows OS at least dictated some of the terms because if I was CHCH, I would have asked for Forge matches only and Y9/AM matches as second choices. 

If you want all the games you will sign up for one soccer - begrudging case in point here. CHCH and the CBC deals are exposure. Its down to onesoccer to load other meaningful content and leagues to make the service even more valuable and pull those exposed by the cbc/chch deals in.

They are doing the right thing for the league partially selling rights imo.  

I watched the first 3 episodes of Bringing it home, after I signed up last night. Exceptional imo. As discussed earlier they need another league or two and giving less of content like chats/interviews away for free or at least loading them on to the one soccer server to watch there as well as Facebook/YouTube. They have actually churned out a lot of good content but on their fb pages. The actual one soccer service looks bare.