OneSoccer

Foreen

It is interesting.  Last year it was $75 for 12 months.  This time it was $70 for what is effectively 6 months (I was told in an email that the subscription will actually run until Jan 31st).   I am still choosing to financially support the folks who are getting behind Canadian footy but that almost doubles the price of the service after just one year.  Throw in the shenanigans with season ticket holders and MediaPro/OneSoccer may be burning through their available good will pretty quickly.   

At the very least they could have had the subscription run up to April 1 of next year.

I'm interested in the National team matches too (that I don't really think will happen).

What happens if you just discovered they have Liga MX too? You need to re up to finish watching that Season?

Just listening to Derek Martin on Global talking about the Island Games. If you skip ahead to 3:50, you'll hear him explain that "well have some exciting news in the next couple of days about a few other broadcast partners"

By the time the matches kick off in 13 Aug, the CEBL's Summer Series will be over (Sidenote: If none of you have checked out their games on CBC, you should give it a shot. It presents as a pretty professional product on TV, and I find the quality/technique of the broadcast is looking much better than it was for the CPL last year). I know the CFL is working on getting things up and running again, but it sounds like this could be a new opportunity to CBC to air some Canadian content. I'd love to see an NHL-type split where everything is on One Soccer but so many matches are broadcast on CBC and so many on Sportsnet, but I guess we'll have to stay tuned (pardon the pun). 

39 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Just listening to Derek Martin on Global talking about the Island Games. If you skip ahead to 3:50, you'll hear him explain that "well have some exciting news in the next couple of days about a few other broadcast partners"

By the time the matches kick off in 13 Aug, the CEBL's Summer Series will be over (Sidenote: If none of you have checked out their games on CBC, you should give it a shot. It presents as a pretty professional product on TV, and I find the quality/technique of the broadcast is looking much better than it was for the CPL last year). I know the CFL is working on getting things up and running again, but it sounds like this could be a new opportunity to CBC to air some Canadian content. I'd love to see an NHL-type split where everything is on One Soccer but so many matches are broadcast on CBC and so many on Sportsnet, but I guess we'll have to stay tuned (pardon the pun). 

My guess is a game of the week on CBC.

I guess it's time to open up the pocketbook again. 

Just a couple of additional comments:

1) I have watched some of the CEBL coverage on CBC and their website.  I thought I heard somewhere that there are no cameramen on site but that the cameras are being controlled remotely.  Would be interesting to know if the same holds true for the CPL coverage.

2) I subscribed last season to support the league even though my team played in the USL.  Now that I've got a horse in the race, I might be more critical of the value for money depending on content available (understanding that some of it may not be in One Soccer's control).

4 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

By the time the matches kick off in 13 Aug, the CEBL's Summer Series will be over (Sidenote: If none of you have checked out their games on CBC, you should give it a shot. It presents as a pretty professional product on TV, and I find the quality/technique of the broadcast is looking much better than it was for the CPL last year).. 

If people don't know, CEBL coverage is being done by Mediapro.

After watching all the leagues coming back, basketball is the least impacted by no crowds. They play music or have announcers talking half the time anyway. NBA coverage looks like playing NBA 2K. 

Hockey is next since you'll only notice the fans when the puck is in the defensive zones. Plus Canadian hockey crowds tend to be reactive and are quiet most of the time. Sounds of the game are also much more pronounced. 

Playing in big stadiums like baseball and soccer makes it more obvious things aren't normal. Even though you don't see them a lot since most of baseball is the showing the pitcher and batter's box, the crowds tend to have a din more than other sports. This gives the sport in part its lazy, easy relaxing atmosphere. 

Edited by red card

So I realized my mom's Amazon Fire tablet is great for watching Dazn, I was planning on using it to watch way more CPL this year but OneSoccer doesn't have an app on the Amazon store. I won't be watching much on my phone since the battery sucks now and I don't like watching soccer on my computer.

My brother just pointed out I could try watching on the internet browser on the tablet, has anyone tried doing this on a device that doesn't have OneSoccer?

3 minutes ago, Bdog said:

So I realized my mom's Amazon Fire tablet is great for watching Dazn, I was planning on using it to watch way more CPL this year but OneSoccer doesn't have an app on the Amazon store. I won't be watching much on my phone since the battery sucks now and I don't like watching soccer on my computer.

My brother just pointed out I could try watching on the internet browser on the tablet, has anyone tried doing this on a device that doesn't have OneSoccer?

I watch OneSoccer on Xbox via the built-in browser and it works perfectly. Not sure about tablets, though.

16 minutes ago, RS said:

I watch OneSoccer on Xbox via the built-in browser and it works perfectly. Not sure about tablets, though.

That's another option too, I'm just hoping the tablet works because I like watching in my backyard.

14 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Sportsnet is about to start showing 5 hockey games a day while also having the rights to the Bluejays.  They may have multiple networks, but I can't see them finding space for this tournament (or wanting to pay for additional rights right now).  CBC is going to have some hockey, but likely has more time slots that would work.

17 hours ago, Bdog said:

I watched onesoccer on my IPAD. seemed to work fine. I usually watched on my laptop and streamed to my TV.

23 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

As posted in the Reddit thread, this is from Armen Bedakian who works for MediaPRO.

What are the club representatives saying? I will be chatting with Pacific FC on Thursday To get an answer.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Any updates or intel on traditional TV broadcasting of the games?  I was hoping we would hear something by now but I haven't come across anything.  The season is rapidly approaching so you would think they would have to get something in place very soon.

I had read (CBC I think) that there were 2 broadcasters interested to show games but that's all the info it gave.

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Any updates or intel on traditional TV broadcasting of the games?  I was hoping we would hear something by now but I haven't come across anything.  The season is rapidly approaching so you would think they would have to get something in place very soon.

We don’t even know the CPL schedule yet.

As the debate about the $70 subscription price increase and has seemed to have triggered a lot of people. I'm curious to know what other footy channels are people subscribed too:

For instance I have paid in the past for all the TSN Networks, all the Sportsnet Networks (World included), and BeinSports, and that ran me a pretty penny for me to watch MLS, EPL/Domestic Cups, La Liga, Ligue 1, and Bundesliga. Now theres DAZN that you would require you to be subscribed too if you want UCL.

However since I've found an alternative that gives me literally everything but CPL/OneSoccer, paying $70 is okay for me to "support" - in addition to the $20 bucks a month I pay to get literally everything else. 

So I'm curious to know what everybody else is shelling out, and curious to see if there is guys who just only watch CPL. 

Your $20 per month solution sounds a bit grey market.

I purchased the One Soccer yearly subscription last year and felt it was value for the money with CPL, Voyageurs Cup and national team games.

My issues with this new plan is that it only runs to end of this calendar year. And the only confirmed content I'm interested in is the CPL and V's Cup (with no confirmed format and a rumored reduced tourney). Im not expecting the WCQ to happen due to  COVID. I'm not interested in Mexican or Spanish women's league.

So its essentially $70 for at most 2 months of content.