They really should be aiming for a game of the week on CBC TV at a set time (say 4pm ET). The problem with last year's schedule is that it was so inconsistent. 

I think that still leaves enough content to make a subscription worth it. 

The main problem is CBC already has tons of commitments for sports on Saturday's. 

I still think they should buy Euro World Sport from TLN and transform it into a One Soccer cable channel. That channel some how still exists just repeating the same documentaries over and over again. 

Edited by narduch

Posting something Mediapro and Atleti related, also women's game: the Spanish female league has just signed a collective bargaining agreement, first of its kind in Europe from what they are saying. Mediapro had a hand in getting it done, as did AtMadrid.

Not worth getting into details, but it does establish a minimum salary, a minimum for part-time players (I guess short contracts, academy players), it sets out the base for automatic bonuses for seniority on a team. It ensures holidays (meaning paid holidays). 

Not all teams participated in the negotation, as they are not part of the club association at the table, but it is binding for all. 

It seems that an extra contribution of 1.1 million euros from Mediapro made it possible for the smaller teams to accept the deal and sweeten the offer as players demanded. This payment was not for media rights, but it does mean they now get first choice of each weekend's match, regardless of the team. The also negotiated a separate deal with At Madrid, who seem to have a privilged relationship with Mediapro. Basically, At Madrid let them do a deal for the more modest clubs, stepping aside, and then negotiated separately from the rest with the company. 

This will likely now improve the women's matches on OneSoccer.

It also demonstrates the possible interest of Mediapro in the women's game, if the CPL and CSA choose to go to bat for it. 

Edit with some figures: basically all part time contracts have to be minimum 75% and push up to 16,000 euros gross income. It seems the vast majority of contracts in the league are now between 16 and 30 thousand, which gives a take home of between 900 and 1500 a month. 

This was accomplished over 14 months negotiation, 30 meetings and a strike last November, and is effective retroactively from last summer. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

More games will be on TV 

Yet another positive development.  I would love to see a dedicated channel for subscribers that could be accessed via abnormal cable subscription.   For me, that would be the ultimate convenience. 

Was thinking about this a bit more.  With the Olympics this summer, people will be watching CBC’s coverage (along with the other channels).  While CPL will have to compete with the games while they were on, that kind of exposure to sports fans could be leveraged into more viewers post-Olympics. 

One Soccer ONLINE Subscription: 

- can one pay thru iTunes?

Or do we have to pay thru the website? Asking as I'm thinking of picking up some iTunes Card when on sale at Costco usually 100$ for 84,99$.

Going to pickup 1yr membership even thou not a STH.

Please let me know, Thanks

Edited by fannorth

33 minutes ago, fannorth said:

One Soccer ONLINE Subscription: 

- can one pay thru iTunes?

Or do we have to pay thru the website? Asking as I'm thinking of picking up some iTunes Card when on sale at Costco usually 100$ for 84,99$.

Going to pickup 1yr membership even thou not a STH.

Please let me know, Thanks

Don’t believe so.  Credit card was the only way when I signed up.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:00 AM, Ansem said:

More games will be on TV 

I'll freely confess that I don't understand how all the new measurements work, but is this article also saying that the average audience for CPL games on CBC was about 54k, with the final being about 82k?  I assume that's what the "2 + minute audience" would be (ie, people tuning in for at least 2 minutes).

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Watching Liga MX tonight (Tigres v Juarez) behind closed doors.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I watched badminton yesterday. It's actually very entertaining. 

I'll probably watch soccer from MX and Australia though I'm surprised my cable package thinks they can leave programming empty instead of finding replacement matches. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

And now Liga MX is shut down too.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/14/liga-mx-suspends-play-until-further-notice

Cant play sports, can’t watch sports, and can’t even really read about sports. It has only been a few days but I can tell I am going to lose my mind.

In many places, you cant even go to the pub to drown your sorrows that there are no sports!

On 3/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, Kent said:

And now Liga MX is shut down too.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/14/liga-mx-suspends-play-until-further-notice

Cant play sports, can’t watch sports, and can’t even really read about sports. It has only been a few days but I can tell I am going to lose my mind.

I already went back on by PVR and found some old CPL games. I don't always remember the scores so its like watching it new! likewise highlights on youtube. Maybe we need to organize a watch party with some old classic Canada games. 

Not live sport but a Few things I just saw popping up on netflix this week and the next. 

Italian Film: Ultras - fictional film about italian ultras

UK Drama Series: The English Game - Story of the invention of football and class divides.

Sunderland til I die (Season 2): Every Newcastle fans favourite show returns for its second season... I wonder what will happen?

United - Dramatisation of the Busby Babes story bbc did a few years back. free on youtube (also can likely find damned united on the web somewhere which is always worth a watch!)

Posted (edited)

Time to watch Green Street Hooligans again, not everyone's cup of tea but my friends and I enjoyed it (7.5 out of 10 on IMDB):

MV5BMjExNTg3NzYwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzcx

Been meaning to watch the sequels as well, 2 and 3, but don't think they'll match the original as with many sequels.

Will also check out the selection from  @toontownman

Edited by CDNFootballer

13 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Not on Netflix that I know but a good watch is The Damned United. 

And Mean Machine for a bit of levity during these at home days. 

Do you happen to remember that Scottish flick (or maybe it just takes place there) where a lower division club brings in a ‘bad-boy’ washed up player, but revived his career and gets to the Scottish cup final in the process? I really enjoyed it, but I can’t remember what it was called...

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

Do you happen to remember that Scottish flick (or maybe it just takes place there) where a lower division club brings in a ‘bad-boy’ washed up player, but revived his career and gets to the Scottish cup final in the process? I really enjoyed it, but I can’t remember what it was called...

It was called Shot at Glory.  Starred Glasgow Rangers legend Ally McCoist (who in the movie was a former Celt*c player), Robert Duvall and Michael Keaton.

Bit dodgy acting and accents but a light watch if bored to tears and nothing to do, LOL.

Don't know why it came up but there was an extended highlight reel on YouTube of the '86 FA Cup Final, a final I vividly remember.  Saturday (?) AM, the television cranked, me on maybe 2 hours sleep and still buzzing and the Old Man hung over and as sour as lemons bleating at me about all this soccer nonsense. 

Liverpool-Everton.  Rush & Dagleish vs Lineker & Sharp and Grobbulaar at his flakiest (as I remember it anyway).   All sort of came apart for Everton as the match got on but recall coming away with my impressions of Rush and Lineker being affirmed. 

Quite the year '86.  Celtic took the league at the death if I recall, Liverpool with the double and best of all Canada off to the World Cup Finals that summer.  Applogies if I got that wrong but that's how it all comes to mind.  Quite the year.  

Have some CPL matches on disc that redhat gave me.  Need to dig those out.

12 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Shot_at_Glory

Have never watched it but Robert Duvall's accent in this is widely regarded in Scotland as the worst ever by a Hollywood actor.

15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Time to watch Green Street Hooligans again, not everyone's cup of tea but my friends and I enjoyed it (7.5 out of 10 on IMDB):

Been meaning to watch the sequels as well, 2 and 3, but don't think they'll match the original as with many sequels.

There were sequels?!?

Netflix is telling me Ultras drops Friday and The English Game just glitches out before it can even load an info screen. :(