2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be a bold move.  Would be interesting to see the response if  MLS lost the exposure they get on the mainstream sports channels.

That would be very interesting to see.

I also think if OneSoccer obtains the rights, it would work very well if they finally negotiated the launch of their cable channel (which, according to Larson, is still the plan). The two could dovetail nicely, with their OTT service benefiting from traditional access. I just hope they don't end up being only on Bell, Rogers, or Shaw...

with revenues of ~$2B, MediaPro is more than capable of outbidding for the MLS TV rights. This would be a massive won for CPL who would then get all those viewers eyes on the league with expansion into key markets, which would be incentive for MLS fans to follow a CPL club close to them.

*Yes, this would make the expansion fee jump

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

with revenues of ~$2B, MediaPro is more than capable of outbidding for the MLS TV rights. This would be a massive won for CPL who would then get all those viewers eyes on the league with expansion into key markets, which would be incentive for MLS fans to follow a CPL club close to them.

Bell has a financial stake in MLSE, which owns TFC and TSN.  If we're talking about the Canadian MLS teams, I'm not sure they'll be as eager to jump on board the CPL streaming service.  If we're talking about the MLS league package minus the Canadian teams (TSN currently has that as well), I'm not sure how many fans would be signing up for that.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Bell has a financial stake in MLSE, which owns TFC and TSN.  If we're talking about the Canadian MLS teams, I'm not sure they'll be as eager to jump on board the CPL streaming service.  If we're talking about the MLS league package minus the Canadian teams (TSN currently has that as well), I'm not sure how many fans would be signing up for that.

Dont they have their hands tied up with other sports like the top 4 league rights? Why didn't they fight for broadcasting TFC during the Canadian Championship?

Not saying they won't bid at all but Mediapro could easily outbid them if they absolutely want those rights.

Bell/Roger's have to think about the rights of other leagues plus their own expenses. Nothing prevents them from acquiring games for their networks 

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

Operating profits are $214m (2017) and only 40% of their revenue comes from sports.  None of this is bad, but they're not necessarily throwing a ton of money MLS's way either.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/spotlight/mediapro-at-25-joining-europes-first-division-1203182290/

Just now, Ansem said:

Dont they have their hands tied up with other sports like the top 4 league rights? Why didn't they fight for broadcasting TFC during the Canadian Championship?

Not saying they won't bid at all but Mediapro could easily outbid them if they absolutely want those rights.

Bell/Roger's have to think about the rights of other leagues plus their own expenses. Nothing prevents them from acquiring games for their networks 

Because sadly the Voyagers Cup gets poor ratings and probably wasn't worth it to them.  I love the Voyagers Cup, but we see the empty stands for every game.  It appeals to the hard core fans, or to casual fans when the local team is playing a team from a bigger league.  Otherwise, it's not a draw.

As for the other 4: Sportsnet owns the rights to the NHL for about another 6 years, and controls the entirely of the Bluejays broadcasts.  That's some decent airtime TSN has to fill, and MLS generally works for that.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Operating profits are $214m (2017) and only 40% of their revenue comes from sports.  None of this is bad, but they're not necessarily throwing a ton of money MLS's way either.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/spotlight/mediapro-at-25-joining-europes-first-division-1203182290/

They took CPL not because they're necessarily in love with it and Canadians, it's part of a long term strategy to implement themselves in the North American market.

They were quick to get Liga MX rights in Canada and build bridges. There's $$$$$$ money to be made in North American football and locking down the Canadian Market is step #1. Getting the Canadian rights for MLS is a stepping stone for the future where one day, they can implement themselves in the US.

The MediaPro deal was never just about CPL or Canada. If you see that logic, then you start to understand why it isn't surprising they gave that much money to a league that hasn't kickoffs yet. Them outbidding everybody else was the 1st step.

That's why I think they'll go hard at the MLS rights in Canada....builds bridges with the higher ups in that league.

29 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Because sadly the Voyagers Cup gets poor ratings and probably wasn't worth it to them.  I love the Voyagers Cup, but we see the empty stands for every game.  It appeals to the hard core fans, or to casual fans when the local team is playing a team from a bigger league.  Otherwise, it's not a draw.

As for the other 4: Sportsnet owns the rights to the NHL for about another 6 years, and controls the entirely of the Bluejays broadcasts.  That's some decent airtime TSN has to fill, and MLS generally works for that.

According to this tweet

MLS told it's clubs to not have regional rights as of 2022. The league wants to sell it's right in 1 big package to maximize the value.

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

According to this tweet

MLS told it's clubs to not have regional rights as of 2022. The league wants to sell it's right in 1 big package to maximize the value.

Yes, I've seen that.  It's also more applicable to the US than to Canada.  They'll sell the two rights separately.  I'm not currently convinced that MediaPro (or for that matter DAZN) is going to put in such a huge bid on the Canadian MLS rights that it's enough to sway MLS from their partnership with TSN.  But I guess we'll see in a few years.

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yes, I've seen that.  It's also more applicable to the US than to Canada.  They'll sell the two rights separately.  I'm not currently convinced that MediaPro (or for that matter DAZN) is going to put in such a huge bid on the Canadian MLS rights that it's enough to sway MLS from their partnership with TSN.  But I guess we'll see in a few years.

Money talks... we'll see

33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Money talks... we'll see

Exactly, if they took the premier League from tsn I don't see why they can't get MLS rights. 

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

Money talks... we'll see

Agreed.

TSN is probably currently paying next to nothing for the rights. You can tell because none of the news articles about when they obtained the rights mention for how much. MLS is probably too embarrassed to make that public.

They probably have a deal where they share ad revenue.

That being said OneSoccer probably should have kept more quiet on this front. Now TSN/Bel are tipped off and can up their ante.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Agreed.

TSN is probably currently paying next to nothing for the rights. You can tell because none of the news articles about when they obtained the rights mention for how much. MLS is probably too embarrassed to make that public.

They probably have a deal where they share ad revenue.

That being said OneSoccer probably should have kept more quiet on this front. Now TSN/Bel are tipped off and can up their ante.

We have to understand that MLS will always be priority #5 or lower. They have to account for these other deals:

NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, CFL. There only so many dollars to go around and viewership has to justify paying whatever price MLS deems its TV rights will be worth in 2022.

As of now, it's not even close to what the CFL pulls weekly. For parties such as DAZN and MediaPro, getting their hands on these rights is somewhat on top of their priority.

That's a big difference. Too many people overvalue the importance of MLS TV rights for our traditional broadcasters. As you pointed out, they paid nearly nothing for those rights. When MLS comes knocking asking for hundreds of millions, that will be interesting. Has viewership increased enough to justify the new MLS valuation of its TV rights? (Clue...won't be cheap)

Money talks indeed...

Edited by Ansem

The MLS ratings in the US are terrible. Its a wonder they get any money for it.

I didn't even think of DAZN. OneSoccer might face a bigger challenge for them over the MLS rights for all we know.

Edited by narduch

29 minutes ago, narduch said:

The MLS ratings in the US are terrible. Its a wonder they get any money for it.

I didn't even think if DAZN. OneSoccer might face a bigger challenge for them over the MLS rights for all we know.

I think the aggressive expansion is a way to sell the "overvaluation" to broadcasters in the US like the NHL has been doing in the south.

Problem is that in Canada, it's 3 market, and it will ALWAYS be 3 markets with some viewership improvements but nothing justifying asking for the moon.

Like you said, I also dont believe that sports channels will put that much of a fight when DAZN and Mediapro submits their figures. They can always cut deals with MediaPro to get some of the games, which might make way more business sense to them as they wouldn't have to produce the game nor have soccer journalists/analyst on payroll.

What Mediapro has going for them is that they want to set up a TV channel on cable and could sell to MLS that some of their games would be resold to CBC like TFC vs Montreal. That "coast to coast" exposure is something they never had (CBC being free)

Edited by Ansem

Rogers and Bell aren't known for their creativity, ingenuity and foresight. They aren't risk takers.

They don't buy properties in hopes of growing them. A new start up will be more willing to take those kind of risks.

TSN/CTV are perfect examples. They use Bell's buying power to scoop up the best properties and just rebroadcast them to us. Its nothing special.

The CFL is a good example. TSN scooped it up after CBC had already made it a big property.

39 minutes ago, narduch said:

The CFL is a good example. TSN scooped it up after CBC had already made it a big property.

Isn't the general thinking that TSN did a ton of work to grow the CFL into a viable TV product? I'm talking about on an everyday level, not just big events like the Labour Day Classics and playoff games.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Isn't the general thinking that TSN did a ton of work to grow the CFL into a viable TV product? I'm talking about on an everyday level, not just big events like the Labour Day Classics and playoff games.

It was already a major ratings winner when they took it on.

You won't see them take a risk like on a start up league.

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This account must be run by Rob Gale ... really cool and easy going until the slightest hint of adversity and then just spastic.  Getting butt hurt about a broadcaster posting a video of a former player getting a red?  Just laugh and be glad he's gone.

That video was not even from the game OneSoccer stopped broadcasting.

44 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

The success of CPL clubs and OneSoccer are interlinked. Why is this team allowing their twitter account to undermine the success of one of their major partners?

I took it more as a friendly jab than a seriously critical comment - but maybe I am misinterpreting. 

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

The success of CPL clubs and OneSoccer are interlinked. Why is this team allowing their twitter account to undermine the success of one of their major partners?

I suppose for the same reason OneSoccer is allowing their twitter account to call a handball in the box an "iconic moment". Why are they making Valour look bad?