Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

This will be welcome. If they are smart they should be partnering with the CSA and hosting a Onesoccer international tournament in the january window. They need more of a pull for CPL off season. Like Disney's poor planning there is nothing new coming to make paying for Disney worth it now mando is finished. Unless there is serious benefits I'm just doing month to month when the new season starts. I think binge watching apps like crave/Netflix/disney and rotating is the way forward. Obviously you can't do that with onesoccer when CPL season is on!

Over time I am sure things will rapidly improve and the content will grow but its tough to justify the expense for me at the moment..

They nee Euro leagues badly. That's their next priority. My subscription ended because of lack of content 

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Unless there is serious benefits I'm just doing month to month when the new season starts.

Over time I am sure things will rapidly improve and the content will grow but its tough to justify the expense for me at the moment..

I thought about cancelling Onesoccer and doing the month to month for the 2020 season, but the cost is basically the same (month to month is 8 x 10 = $80 and one year is $75) since we won't have the free month for 2020 as a new subscriber, which even then would be just about the same.

It’d be awesome if they could get any of the SPL, Ligue 1, Liga Nos, Irish League or a combo of these. Outside of the French league, I doubt they’d cost that much but it would add some content and there are a lot of people in Canada with connections to each of these countries. Maybe not the best to watch, but from a business perspective, the Indian Super league might make a lot of sense. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Copa Libertadores would be the gem

In terms of quality, sure.  In terms of viewers, maybe not.  DAZN had it and dropped it, and I'm sure they wouldn't drop something worthwhile. 

I'd love for them to add the SPFL, Ligue 1 and maybe a few other Euro leagues. But I feel like they could do half decently to pick up more content from other regions, like maybe the J-League and the A-League (would absolutely love the latter). I know they already have the CSL, but . . . eh. 

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Would this be for non-Canada games?  Because we argue on here enough about the lack of visibility for the men's team by only rotating home games between Toronto and Vancouver.  Moving their games to a pay-service would only exacerbate the problem of drawing in casual fans.

Just now, m-g-williams said:

I'd love for them to add the SPFL, Ligue 1 and maybe a few other Euro leagues. But I feel like they could do half decently to pick up more content from other regions, like maybe the J-League and the A-League (would absolutely love the latter). I know they already have the CSL, but . . . eh. 

J-League is on DAZN, but the K-League isn't and has a certain Canadian now playing there...

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Would this be for non-Canada games?  Because we argue on here enough about the lack of visibility for the men's team by only rotating home games between Toronto and Vancouver.  Moving their games to a pay-service would only exacerbate the problem of drawing in casual fans.

Fair enough, but I'm going to guess that OneSoccer has been fairly happy with the response to MNT matches being on their platform.  From their prospective of course. 

If those MNT matches are their gateway to marketplace relevance they've bought those rights, they've put their money where their mouth is, they should work towards exploiting the potential of that product.

Champions League and EPL coverage has done wonders for DAZN amongst the footie crowd (mine at least) in a way that they couldn't have otherwise.  Has that hurt Champions League casual appeal?  I'd say so.  Absolutely.  Has it helped DANZs market presence?  Without doubt. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

In terms of quality, sure.  In terms of viewers, maybe not.  DAZN had it and dropped it, and I'm sure they wouldn't drop something worthwhile. 

I don't think they dropped it. Maybe after spending 400million on Canelo and god knows what on the epl they had to make some decisions.

7 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Fair enough, but I'm going to guess that OneSoccer has been fairly happy with the response to MNT matches being on their platform.  From their prospective of course. 

If those MNT matches are their gateway to marketplace relevance they've bought those rights, they've put their money where their mouth is, they should work towards exploiting the potential of that product.

Champions League and EPL coverage has done wonders for DAZN amongst the footie crowd (mine at least) in a way that they couldn't have otherwise.  Has that hurt Champions League casual appeal?  I'd say so.  Absolutely.  Has it helped DANZs market presence?  Without doubt. 

Has it helped DAZN's market presence?  Sure.  But the casual soccer fans I know were first disappointed when Champions League moved over, because they weren't going to sign up, and now have stopped following the EPL for the same reasons.  The results have been that they've stopped following soccer and moved on.  Soccer's building barriers to entry for the casual fan right now, and I don't think that's healthy for the game here.  If it's just the non-Canadian Gold Cup games, I don't think that's a problem because we likely weren't getting them on TV here anyway.  But if it's the Canada games, that's another opportunity lost to get casual viewers.

We have had soccer/CMNT coverage on Sportsnet/TSN for approximately 20 years now. Its not like this 'exposure' was really doing much to 'grow' the game.

I understand the argument why we want this content to be more accessible. But One Soccer seems more interested then the traditional broadcasters and apparently is paying real money for it.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Cable is a pay-service too. It is way more expensive than DAZN. For new viewers it is better to target younger families and this likely is not on cable TV.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

We have had soccer/CMNT coverage on Sportsnet/TSN for approximately 20 years now. Its not like this 'exposure' was really doing much to 'grow' the game.

I understand the argument why we want this content to be more accessible. But One Soccer seems more interested then the traditional broadcasters and apparently is paying real money for it.

In the last 20 years we got 3 MLS teams, a Canadian league, and some of the brightest young talent we've seen in generations. I'd say that's some pretty significant growth.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Change happens faster than people think. 2 years ago explaining DAZN to people was like explaining time travel. Over Christmas my 78yr old uncle was telling me how much he likes watching epl on DAZN.

I don't think people don't understand DAZN. I think the casual fan just isn't going to pay for it. As more streaming services get out there, more people are deciding which ones they actually want. DAZN is great if you're already invested in what it has to offer, but it's not something casual fans will sign up for.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think people don't understand DAZN. I think the casual fan just isn't going to pay for it. As more streaming services get out there, more people are deciding which ones they actually want. DAZN is great if you're already invested in what it has to offer, but it's not something casual fans will sign up for.

Younger fans will not be acquired through cable TV anymore they will be acquired through youtube, video games, friends, parents and local advertising. Casual fans will have to decide which streaming service provides the content most inline with their preferences in future and not depend on two big networks to tell them what to watch.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Younger fans will not be acquired through cable TV anymore they will be acquired through youtube, video games, friends, parents and local advertising. Casual fans will have to decide which streaming service provides the content most inline with their preferences in future and not depend on two big networks to tell them what to watch.

Ok, but on your list of ways younger fans will be acquired "paying for a streaming service" isn't one of them.

No, casual fans will stick with cable and watch what the two big networks tell them to watch. That's literally the definition of casual. They're hockey/football/basketball fans first which are on the big two networks, so they'll stick with that. 

Casual fans have never driven the growth of sport. In fact, they have been more of a hindarance. MLS only started advancing beyond 1.0 when they stopped catering to soccer moms and North American pro sports sensibilities such as having no ties. 

It's the old 80/20 rule. If business cater to the 20% who drive 80% of the revenue/profits or stadium atmosphere, it will more likely succeed.

With DAZN having NFL, it does attract a segment of the casual sports fans. Based on Canada twitter trends in the fall, EPL & CL are still always trending in the top 10 when matches are being played. Driven by the hard core followers, even CMNT matches on OneSoccer were trending.

People aged under 30 forming households for the first time aren't signing up cable. Unless they're sports fans, they aren't signing up for DAZN either. Either way, the only casual viewership lost is maybe when a Canadian MLS team makes the MLS Cup. But the truly interested will find a free stream somewhere.

For the national teams, there is even less viewers lost - casuals would only watch when Canada is playing in the World Cup or Olympics - both still on TSN or CBC. The women's team reached into the causal market post London Olympics - even then, TSN failed to capitalize on it.

Casuals nowadays consume sports through social media and video sites. All the juicy moments in any given night are available to anyone. No need to watch the games in whole or wait for Sportscentre. 

The only league in North America that still benefits from the reach of network or cable tv is the NFL. All other leagues are seeing decreasing ratings and all sports networks are seeing falling ratings - less than entertainment tv shows and networks but still dropping. 

After the initial growing pains, streaming is also a better viewer experience than watching sports on tv. Restart match where you left off. Watch full replay when you want. Or just watch 5 mins of highlights. All matches are available. Goal Rush stream is available for Saturday morning EPL which shows all the big chances and goals from every match a la NFL Red Zone. Lots of preview and wrap up shows from the UK. If you're a NFL fan, DAZN is cheaper than the NFL Sunday Ticket offered by the cable cos and you get other sports as a bonus.

Posted (edited)

I quit my OneSoccer subscription the day after the US game. 

I go back to their twitter feed and find it actually a bit pathetic. They have been flogging all kinds of irrelevant content, goals, best players, top 11, just bashing away. That irritating Top 50, silly in a league with only 160 players. A single season with 7 teams cannot be so legendary that you have to watch a good goal from last July twelve times. I think they have completely lost their north, as they say in Spanish.

But I understand it, they think they have to create content to keep subscribers happy. But nowhere in the world, not even when it comes to the best leagues, or after a World Cup, are fans going to be wanting to see irrelevant minor details two months later, and even less so couched in this sort of "legendary romantic" wrapping.

I rewatch a Champions League win for Barça, but maybe twice, once a few weeks after, and then again, a few years later. And that is all, nothing more. But what are Forge supporters supposed to be rewatching, a boring second leg that gave them the trophy?

Then one of every 20 tweets is about something live they might have on the go and worth while, Mexico or women's league in Spain (which they are conning viewers on, but that is another story we can get into another time).

I am a bit surprised at how poorly they have prepared for this off-season in CPL, they simply were not ready. And that is not fair to those who did pay for the whole year, they really needed to do a lot better.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Does any sport have casual fans anymore? Let's face it.. nowadays your either in to it or your not 

You think every fan at a game is a season ticket holder? And only these season ticket holders watch games on tv?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, red card said:

Casual fans have never driven the growth of sport. In fact, they have been more of a hindarance. MLS only started advancing beyond 1.0 when they stopped catering to soccer moms and North American pro sports sensibilities such as having no ties. 

It's the old 80/20 rule. If business cater to the 20% who drive 80% of the revenue/profits or stadium atmosphere, it will more likely succeed.

Sure, I get that. It's not wrong. But I think you can't ignore the other 80% of people either, because at some point you always have to replenish that 20% of hardcore fans. People leave that 20% for a variety of reasons, so you have to have an influx of new people. If you create barriers to getting in to that 20% (such as having all of your sport moved to streaming services), that's a problem. That's not DAZN's problem (yet) because they're just trying to get that 20% to shell out for their product. But as soccer fans in this country, we should care that the sport is becoming less accessible. 

Edited by Watchmen