OneSoccer

Foreen

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

To be fair to him though when he started podcasting it soon became obvious that he knows the game inside out from having played it at a higher level than most journalists or podcasters have ever been able to.

Where did he play? That surprises me because I find myself disagreeing with his analysis more often than not. Though part of that stems from his intentionally controversial statements 

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

Where did he play? That surprises me because I find myself disagreeing with his analysis more often than not. Though part of that stems from his intentionally controversial statements 

US College?

I wasn't really a fan of him while he was on the TFC beat. I always considered him to be a professional troll and that was the reason for some of his really bad takes.  

I don't mind him as much as a CPL analyst. 

Football is supposed to be fun.  Going over the top and stiring things up (and he does) is as much a part of that as the enthusiastic rah-rah nonscense and other too positive sillyness.  Suppose to get people enguaged right?  Can't recall any particular episode where Larson took that a bridge too far but who knows, in the heat of the moment sort of thing. 

On air crews are getting better.  Long way to go before they'll be a match for what we see during CFL/NHL broadcasts.   

On 10/18/2019 at 5:10 PM, Chad_Impact said:

I do have to say though I think 720p isn't good enough. I know it's year one but quality is important in the viewing experience. 

I agree.  It's an old adage but "you only have one chance to make a first impression".  We have been spoiled with television over the last 10-15 years, the quality needs to be there.

Other areas for improvement in my opinion are 1) allow for restart of games that are live  2) immediate posting of completed games  3) better search within  4) easier to navigate site/app 5) more accurate schedule 6) more leagues 

On a positive note One Soccer has done a good job in producing content for the CPL.  Typical shows like Kickoff Countdown and Inside the CPL have been good though I'm not really of fan of Platt & Leach.  The show would be better with a host with Kurt and another pundit with a little bit more personality or tactical knowledge.  I'd like to see more original content created for the league.

One Soccer has done well with the in studio pre and post game coverage.  Studio crew is there all day during a triple header to discuss all of the games.  This was taken to another level with the Canada/US game, long pre and post game shows.  This kind of production send the message that this isn't rinky dink play and viewers need to pay attention.  

On 10/19/2019 at 10:10 AM, narduch said:

US College?

I wasn't really a fan of him while he was on the TFC beat. I always considered him to be a professional troll and that was the reason for some of his really bad takes.  

I don't mind him as much as a CPL analyst. 

According to Wheeler's wikipedia (yes, apparently he warrants having a Wikipedia entry), he played in CIS (now U Sports) at Western.

To be honest it is probably for the best that Larson and Wheeler got jobs with OneSoccer and CPL. They have a pretty big platform that they have access to, and its much better to have them singing praises than talking about how great MLS and TFC is compared to CPL.

Just saw after posting that the college question was about Larson and not Wheeler. Missed that it was already answered due to the ignore function

Edited by deschamp86

1 hour ago, ted said:

Just a note for OneSoccer producers, play--by-play announcers, and commentators: NO ONE on Vancouver Island refers to PFC as, "The Tridents". Each time we hear that used on a broadcast every person in the pub cringes.

Thanks.

That has to be some sort of branding mandate from the head office.  They call Valour the "Lions", Y9 and not just york, tridents, and strangely HFX spelled out and not just Halifax....and the cringes are pretty much universal. HAHA

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

That has to be some sort of branding mandate from the head office.  They call Valour the "Lions", Y9 and not just york, tridents, and strangely HFX spelled out and not just Halifax....and the cringes are pretty much universal. HAHA

I think the team names have caused problems in general. Nearly everyone I've brought to a game has asked what city the teams are from. 

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Mehhh, new teams new league....if you hadnt had a lifetime of exposure to NHL would you be able to guess which city had the Leafs, Canuks, Flames etc.  Plenty of names arent exactly obvious.  

The difference being that their city names are actually part of their team names.

They aren't the Winnipeg Valour, Hamilton Forge or Victoria Pacific, at least not in the way they are referred to anyway. Add to that, a team from York Region that plays in Toronto!

No wonder some people get confused. We can't expect all potential followers to be hardcore!

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Mehhh, new teams new league....if you hadnt had a lifetime of exposure to NHL would you be able to guess which city had the Leafs, Canuks, Flames etc.  Plenty of names arent exactly obvious.  

If I had never followed the NHL before I certainly would know which city the Vancouver Canucks or the Calgary Flames represented!

Has anyone had much success with contacting and engaging with OneSoccer? If so how did you do it (email, fb, etc). 

I'm planning to contact them nicely and suggest it'd be great if the Final could available to be streamed on the same day (I won't be able to watch either gam live, but would love to watch them that evening). The fact that it takes a day or so for a game to be available for streaming is pretty frustrating / lame. 

1 minute ago, SadOnMondays said:

Has anyone had much success with contacting and engaging with OneSoccer? If so how did you do it (email, fb, etc). 

I'm planning to contact them nicely and suggest it'd be great if the Final could available to be streamed on the same day (I won't be able to watch either gam live, but would love to watch them that evening). The fact that it takes a day or so for a game to be available for streaming is pretty frustrating / lame. 

I've emailed them and had responses, they have responded on twitter as well to others.

17 hours ago, Lofty said:

I like what they have done with the team names. I think it is interesting. Nothing wrong with people asking, then they will know.

Where is Juventus anyway? And whereabouts in China do Leyton Orient play?

Well I often hear Juventus of Turin.

18 hours ago, Lofty said:

Where is Juventus anyway? And whereabouts in China do Leyton Orient play?

A simple search reveals that,  "Leyton Orient Football Club is a professional football club based in Leyton, London, England".

Let me save you some time, Tottenham Hotspur do not play in the land of Hotspur and Arsenal Football Club originally played near the Woolich Arsenal and played under that name until they dropped the name of the community and moved. 

On 10/21/2019 at 8:58 PM, SadOnMondays said:

May have a solution for you. CBC games are available to watch directly after it streams. So if they are streaming Saturdays game it should be available directly afterwards.