OneSoccer

Foreen

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Is it really that complicated? I don’t imagine the majority of bar staff are from the generation that can’t work the internet. 

I don't image the majority of the bar staff are from the generation that can't work a tv either, yet there's days where getting the channel changed can take 10 to 20 min of fumbling with different remotes. I would say it's more that any tv system in a bar is complicated, and it's not as simple as "connecting to the internet".  Or how many are set up for it in the first place.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't know who these "guys who will pay attention to the small TV in the back of the bar" are.  That seems like the kind of group that will watch something random but aren't going out to pay for it (especially if it's a streaming service).  That seems like a really, really small demographic to try to hit.  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

I just mean any soccer fans.   There are lots of guys that prefer to watch soccer than other sports.  They certainly aren't the majority, but they are out there.  So you give bars a free option to have soccer programming on a tv 24/7 and some of them will take you up on it.  At that point, anyone in that bar who is a fan of soccer more than other sports will likely pay attention.  And, again, these are absolutely the potential audience and subscriber base for OS.  No idea why you would assume that sort of person wouldn't pay for a service - but that really isn't my point.  The idea is to get as many eyeballs on OS and the CPL as possible in the first few years.  

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just mean any soccer fans.   There are lots of guys that prefer to watch soccer than other sports.  They certainly aren't the majority, but they are out there.  So you give bars a free option to have soccer programming on a tv 24/7 and some of them will take you up on it.  At that point, anyone in that bar who is a fan of soccer more than other sports will likely pay attention.  And, again, these are absolutely the potential audience and subscriber base for OS.  No idea why you would assume that sort of person wouldn't pay for a service - but that really isn't my point.  The idea is to get as many eyeballs on OS and the CPL as possible in the first few years.  

Ah, ok.  I thought you meant targeting random sports fans in a bar with one tv in the back, which isn't the sort of person who would then go out and buy the service.  I guess I know what you're saying, but given the hassle of trying to set up a streaming service I'm still not sure most bars would think it's worth it and would rather just put on TSN/Sportsnet that they already have.

16 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Ah, ok.  I thought you meant targeting random sports fans in a bar with one tv in the back, which isn't the sort of person who would then go out and buy the service.  I guess I know what you're saying, but given the hassle of trying to set up a streaming service I'm still not sure most bars would think it's worth it and would rather just put on TSN/Sportsnet that they already have.

Insofar as that is true, those bars are never going to subscribe to OS anyway, so they represent no lost revenue whatsoever.  

1 hour ago, sting said:

So I see onesoccer does not have the Valour\York 9 game on it's schedule tomorrow. Another disappointment from One Soccer.

The actaul disappointment is with whoever does the schedule. It only shows what's on the 24 hr channel. So, it isn't simple to know everything OneSoccer is showing - especially noticeable with Nations League.

37 minutes ago, red card said:

The actaul disappointment is with whoever does the schedule. It only shows what's on the 24 hr channel. So, it isn't simple to know everything OneSoccer is showing - especially noticeable with Nations League.

Agreed.

You are better off following their twitter feed.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, narduch said:

Agreed.

You are better off following their twitter feed.

The disappointment is tOne Soccer are a bunch of amateurs who don't know how to run a business. From the we cover all Nations League games ( which was far from true), the sending home the camera crew for the Valour game earlier this season. The claim I will get a refund for that, which still hasn't happened and now the worst thing possible. I tried watching the men's National game  from last night and it stopped at 75 mins.  I had to watch the highlight to see what happened. Way to ruin one of Canada's biggest soccer moments. 

1 hour ago, sting said:

The disappointment is tOne Soccer are a bunch of amateurs who don't know how to run a business. From the we cover all Nations League games ( which was far from true), the sending home the camera crew for the Valour game earlier this season. The claim I will get a refund for that, which still hasn't happened and now the worst thing possible. I tried watching the men's National game  from last night and it stopped at 75 mins.  I had to watch the highlight to see what happened. Way to ruin one of Canada's biggest soccer moments. 

Think Onesoccer has done a good job overall for the first year, steaming quality and amount of cameras used has been very good, got my refund for one month payment for the issue they had, and last nights stream worked fine and they were being given accolades by sportscasts this morning for the great job done on the broadcast from what I heard on sports radio today.

Maybe my experience with some problematic streaming with MLS live, NASL live, and terrible quality USL streams for years influence my view but CPL has been lucky to have OS for its streaming partner at launch, and at a decent price of $10 per month.

Are there issues? Sure, but overall a good job for year 1.

Edited by CDNFootballer

They gave Tier 1 coverage to the Canada match that has never been provided by TSN or SN.

1 hour pre match show, 30 mins post match show and 34 cameras used (that's Grey Cup level coverage). 

And the production and camera work followed all the same principles Mediapro uses in covering laLiga. Wheeler & Dunfield do things differently that is in more line with Spanish broadcasts. 

So, the camera work and furious cuts post Cav's goal with a Spanish announcer was absolutely perfect vs Wheeler's call & Dunfield's laughter.

Note 50k views for OneSoccer version - this was the best advert for them vs having TSN showing the match.

Edited by red card

On 10/16/2019 at 7:40 PM, red card said:

Note 50k views for OneSoccer version - this was the best advert for them vs having TSN showing the match.

Have to be absolutley tickled with that sort of number.   And of course the result with the return match next month. 

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Have to be absolutley tickled with that sort of number.   And of course the result with the return match next month. 

I think he means 50k for the clip, not the game.  Don't think we know what the viewership of the game itself, so no clue what it will be for next month's.

How Gareth Wheeler has changed in just over a year! Listen to him cut me off at the Toronto FC Q & A on Oct 6/18 (with him as the MC) when I ask Bill Manning and Tim Bezbatchenko about Canadians being pushed down the roster. Starts at the 36 minute mark. "Do you want to win or do you want to see Canadians play?" and "I've played Cdn soccer in Uni against US and we weren't anywhere good enough!" So is Gareth Wheeler changing because he's now drawing a second paycheque with the CPL league? Bonus: Listen to Tim B praise Liam Fraser's development.
http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/MannBez02.mp3 or skip right to the sound file. 36 minute mark!  

3 hours ago, sting said:

Two days and still no replay available for the Valour\York game. 

In the listings they have it to be broadcast on their 'live' channel at Saturday 4:00am-6:00am and Sunday afternoon 3:30pm to 5:30pm  all times EST.  I was able to catch it on Thursday night at 8:00pm.  (There is commentary but there was no pre/halftime/postgame shows although all rebroadcasts on the live channel are like that).  

There're filled with the Open Trial stuff....now that makes me wonder if they'll edit out all the Silberbauer stuff?     

9 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:
How Gareth Wheeler has changed in just over a year! Listen to him cut me off at the Toronto FC Q & A on Oct 6/18 (with him as the MC) when I ask Bill Manning and Tim Bezbatchenko about Canadians being pushed down the roster. Starts at the 36 minute mark. "Do you want to win or do you want to see Canadians play?" and "I've played Cdn soccer in Uni against US and we weren't anywhere good enough!" So is Gareth Wheeler changing because he's now drawing a second paycheque with the CPL league? Bonus: Listen to Tim B praise Liam Fraser's development.
http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/MannBez02.mp3 or skip right to the sound file. 36 minute mark!  

Kurt Larson was also a TFC fanboy. Never really was excited about national team matches. Just a bothersome interruption to the MLS season. Always whined when a TFC player wasn't selected. 

3 hours ago, red card said:

Kurt Larson was also a TFC fanboy. Never really was excited about national team matches. Just a bothersome interruption to the MLS season. Always whined when a TFC player wasn't selected. 

Probably not a surprise being that he is American. Think he has grown since then. Wheeler too. I am sure the job and benefits helps!

3 hours ago, red card said:

Yes, he's completely changed.  Now he's a bothersome interruption to the CPL season.

6 hours ago, red card said:

He was no doubt hired in preference to somebody like Duane Rollins for his obvious ability to cynically toe the corporate line in a hired gun rather than a loose cannon sort of way. To be fair to him though when he started podcasting it soon became obvious that he knows the game inside out from having played it at a higher level than most journalists or podcasters have ever been able to.