OneSoccer

Foreen

3 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I would be shocked if CPL received a cent from Mediapro. If in fact Mediapro is producing and distributing the games with no charge to CPL I would say that is a great deal for the league. 

I don't think you're allowed to suggest that here.  You just get people telling you about "$150 million over 10 years" and the "massive amounts of money each team is getting" from this deal.

Of course clubs have a big part..its up to them to market and get bigger number of fans who will then buy subscriptions because they also want to watch away matches or rewatch or watch games they missed...start up league with start up teams..get your fan base up dont just expect someone else to do it 

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think you're allowed to suggest that here.  You just get people telling you about "$150 million over 10 years" and the "massive amounts of money each team is getting" from this deal.

It's also inadvisable to suggest that the games on CBC may amount to something closer to a paid infomercial for Onesoccer rather than a conventional broadcast deal that is bringing in a rights fee. It would be surprising if CSB's deal with Mediapro didn't revolve around performance related payments rather than a lump sum.

14 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Wait what?!?!  Are you suggesting that the MediaPro deal was a figment of our imagination?

It's actually not a "massive" amount but it is significant enough to make the league viable.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What he is referring to is that some people took a $150 million number to mean that the league was getting a $15 million per season rights fee and didn't seem to grasp that projected future production costs etc were probably being included in that number.

Everyone grasp the concept just fine, however solid source said that the league was getting the paid for the rights. No mention of deductions on future production costs which is a mighty big detail to leave out

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Everyone grasp the concept just fine, however solid source said that the league was getting the paid for the rights. No mention of deductions on future production costs which is a mighty big detail to leave out

I have 100% read comments on here about how the $150 million is cash divided up for each team, so no not everyone here grasps that concept.  And debate that it's most likely a mix of cash/services for that value are frowned upon here, even though it still wouldn't make it a bad deal and is the more likely scenario for this contract.

If it was $150M over the 10 and every cent was spent on production and media it would still be one hell of a deal for the CPL.  A God Send. That being said I am curious. 

Zero chance MediaPro spent anywhere near $15M on production for OneSoccer and CPL content in 2019.  No idea but I'd be surprised if someone could show me how they spent much more than $5M.  Maybe there's crazy start up costs?  Like I wrote, don't know.  Anyway there is A LOT of money unaccounted for.   So where do you think that unaccounted money it's going to?  Sure the league is gobbling up a lot of it but SOME has to be trickling down to the teams. 

We'll know pretty soon though.  

24 minutes ago, Lofty said:

My recollection is that the Media Pro deal was actually announced as 200k over ten years and somebody on here who claims to be "somewhat in the know" (and probably is) suggested that was around $150k total in cash and the balance "in kind" (no comment on the annual disbursements, which are probably not equal).

I do not have any inside knowledge but I am definitely under the impression there is a significant amount of cash included in this deal.

I'm assuming you meant millions instead of thousands.

17 minutes ago, Lofty said:

My recollection is that the Media Pro deal was actually announced as 200k over ten years and somebody on here who claims to be "somewhat in the know" (and probably is) suggested that was around $150k total in cash and the balance "in kind" (no comment on the annual disbursements, which are probably not equal).

I do not have any inside knowledge but I am definitely under the impression there is a significant amount of cash included in this deal.

Well, that's the problem though.  Media Pro never announced anything.  It was rumoured to be $200m over 10 years, but that was between the CPL and all the national teams.  $150m got rumoured for the CPL, and that's what people ran with.  But we've never had any breakdowns on what's cash, what's services, or who gets what.  So is some of it cash for the CPL?  Almost certainly.  But is some of it start up costs for their new endeavor here?  Almost certainly as well.

26 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

If it was $150M over the 10 and every cent was spent on production and media it would still be one hell of a deal for the CPL.  A God Send. That being said I am curious. 

Zero chance MediaPro spent anywhere near $15M on production for OneSoccer and CPL content in 2019.  No idea but I'd be surprised if someone could show me how they spent much more than $5M.  Maybe there's crazy start up costs?  Like I wrote, don't know.  Anyway there is A LOT of money unaccounted for.   So where do you think that unaccounted money it's going to?  Sure the league is gobbling up a lot of it but SOME has to be trickling down to the teams. 

I remember back in the day when the USL Whitecaps were on local basic cable that it cost about $50k per game.  We're talking bare bones, limited cameras here.  Someone can definitely correct me if I'm wrong on that, but assuming it's about accurate and that it's costs roughly the same per CPL game, you're looking at about $5m over the course of the season right there.  And that would be before investing in any infrastructure.  Not saying it's not still a good deal for the CPL, just that this is why I'd be more interested in knowing what the deal actually is.

31 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I don't know either, but I think you could spend 1 or 2 million pretty quickly just on web servers/infrastructure for a streaming service. Throw in how many employees? You need people to make apps for various platforms, on air talent, crews, hair and make up, accounting, sales, marketing, etc. Let's say they have 40 employees making a relatively modest average of 50k per year, there is another 2 million. Now you are at 3 or 4 million easily, and you still don't have cameras and other equipment, office space, the recording studio, and I mentioned a marketing department but not any advertising costs. I don't know the costs of these things, but I would be absolutely shocked if OneSoccer has spent less than $5 million dollars to date.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I remember back in the day when the USL Whitecaps were on local basic cable that it cost about $50k per game.  We're talking bare bones, limited cameras here.  Someone can definitely correct me if I'm wrong on that, but assuming it's about accurate and that it's costs roughly the same per CPL game, you're looking at about $5m over the course of the season right there.  And that would be before investing in any infrastructure.  Not saying it's not still a good deal for the CPL, just that this is why I'd be more interested in knowing what the deal actually is.

Haha, we both focused on the same line at the same time. :)

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

^ Would expect they'd be getting the exact same dollars as Valour, or very similar, and we're going to know that number.   

How?  I'm generally curious about this, since the CSB/Media Pro has been so tight lipped on it so far.

Edited by Watchmen

43 minutes ago, Lofty said:

CSB are keeping most of the numbers under wraps. They have their reasons. But my recollection is that the $200m Media Pro number was either announced or widely accepted. I think we can take that one to the bank. The $150m cash number was far less solid. And yes, that is for the National teams too, not just CPL. (Reading your post again, I think we differ on the $150m: you seem to be thinking it is the portion of the $200m that is allocated to CPL, whereas my understanding is it is the cash portion of the $200m; I do not have any idea how much of the $200m is allocated to CPL.)

Again, Media Pro didn't announce anything.  It just became a number that everyone accepted.  And someone else said they'd heard $150m for the CPL, and that became widely accepted.  I've never accepted any of the numbers or allocations directly, since we've never been told anything.  I'm merely repeating the numbers that were told to me again and again when I questioned them.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

How?  I'm generally curious about this, since the CSB/Media Pro has been so tight lipped on it so far.

There has been an expectation that we'll find out a lot of the financial details in a Winnipeg context because the Blue Bombers and by extension the Valour are community owned and have to release their accounts publicly. If the league is single entity in the manner described by Duane Rockerbie, things could be more complicated than that, however.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Again, Media Pro didn't announce anything.  It just became a number that everyone accepted.  And someone else said they'd heard $150m for the CPL, and that became widely accepted.  I've never accepted any of the numbers or allocations directly, since we've never been told anything.  I'm merely repeating the numbers that were told to me again and again when I questioned them.

Can we stop pretending that the sources aren't legit? The league & Mediapro might have not confirmed the numbers but they haven't denied them either.

Doubtful those newspapers prints those numbers if the source wasn't legit. Are we now attacking journalistic integrity for the sake of being pessimistic about the league's business?

Maybe CSB did a good job negotiating the rights? Maybe they had solid arguments and made a compelling case for Mediapro to pay up with 2026 being a huge incentive? Aee we forgetting that this also includes the rights to CPL in France as of 2020? 

Business wise, CSB has proven a very competent business arm to the CPL so far.

National Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/canadian-premier-league-joins-forces-with-spain-based-media-partner/amp

Toronto Sun (more recently)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/barnes-cfl-signs-new-six-year-tv-deal-with-tsn/amp

It has been reported, but not confirmed by anyone with the CPL or Mediapro, that the deal is worth $200 million, so $20 million per year. For a fledgling, domestic soccer start-up, that’s really good money.

Mediapro is a major player on the global soccer scene and wanted a foothold in the North American sports landscape, with an eye on moving into the United States from Canada. So they apparently paid dearly for the rights to all CPL games, as well as all Canadian National Team games, for both men and women. Content will be available on desktop, mobile and Smart TV platforms.

Hamilton Spectator

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9303185-hamilton-s-forge-fc-hosts-first-game-in-brand-new-cpl-pro-soccer-league-national-broadcast-on-cbc/

Edited by Ansem

20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

In a way, I'm still flabbergasted that a number that high has been negotiated and bandied about; time will tell whether the figure (in cash or value) is legit.  Really hoping this isn't Enron type accounting.

Worth bearing in mind that this hasn't been the only nine figure number that has been bandied about where CanPL is concerned:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/01/14/clarifying-investment-of-500m-in-the-new-canadian-premier-and-spitballing-budget-numbers/#2a35221e5bdd

41 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

In a way, I'm still flabbergasted that a number that high has been negotiated and bandied about; time will tell whether the figure (in cash or value) is legit.  Really hoping this isn't Enron type accounting.

Its not uncommon though for a new entrant in a market to overpay to get their foot in the door.

Both the NHL and MLS have benefitted from start-up US cable stations, for past TV deals.

Hell, I would argue even now the MLS US TV deal is way overpaying based on the ratings they get.

Edited by narduch