OneSoccer

Foreen

3 hours ago, Kent said:

TSN is reminding me of the early days of OneSoccer. I don't have a PVR, and I was away during the first half of the TFC game last night. I was hoping to watch it on their website later that night, or today. The game still isn't available (unless I am missing something?) They have the Nigeria vs Canada game from later last night available, as well as USA vs Czechia World Junior hockey game from later last night, but not the TFC game (or the Whitecaps game for that matter) yet. It's driving me nuts and it's getting annoying avoiding spoilers.

I'm glad OneSoccer has GREATLY improved in this regard in the last year or so.

The Whitecaps game from last night is currently showing up for me in the Games on Demand section (but not the TFC game, oddly).

2 hours ago, RS said:

The Whitecaps game from last night is currently showing up for me in the Games on Demand section (but not the TFC game, oddly).

Yeah, the Whitecaps game finally showed up this afternoon. After I put my kids to sleep I checked again and the TFC game still wasn't there. I've now given up and just caught the score and highlights. I really thought TSN would have the game available right away. I watched their last game the next day as soon as I got a chance. Not sure if I have tried to watch any other games on demand on TSN.

CBS/Paramount has kept Champions League. They signed a 6 year deal for US$250 million/yr. UEFA's agency promised a double and got 2.5x more per year. This year's Final produced the largest English language ever and the most streamed match on Paramount+ (higher than USMNT WCQs).

Spanish language deal has been delayed but expected to double from US$50 million. CBS/Paramount & amazon made the 2 largest bids. DAZN was part of the mix. For Canadians, it means some matches can be seen on CBS. No word on Canadian deal.

In comparison to other US media football deals, NBC's Prem deal is the highest at US$450 million/yr. The MLS deal is now tied for second as it was also for US$250 million/yr but for 10 years with about 7x more matches/yr. So, UEFA will get a chance to reup and move ahead post 2026. 

The total US media rights for football is higher than the US NHL deal of US$1B. Add in the Rogers NHL deal, it is fairly even. 

But CBS also this week signed a US$350 million/yr deal to carry just Big Ten sports. This includes carrying the second best Big 10 football game of the week and a whole slew of men's basketball games.

https://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/paramount-beats-amazon-to-retain-uefa-champions-league.html

Edited by red card

Here's an interesting look at the broadcast revenue per club for MLS vs the big leagues in Europe, as well as the growth since 2014.  As he says, important to note that MLS's deal goes for the next 10 years while everyone else's expires by 2025.  Doesn't note that MLS is probably going to sign a few more broadcast deals with ESPN/Univision (and TSN), but I can't imagine it moving the needle more than about $1m per club.

So I heard Leafs TV is going off the air September 1st.  Channel 97 on my Rogers dial.  That leaves an empty channel.  Wouldn't that be a great place for OneSoccer?  

When I visit the CNE, there are usually a Rogers kiosk in every third building.  I'm going to hit them all and complain to the interns and suggest they fill the void with OneSoccer.  

Has anyone ever watched a Leafs TV flashback game (not a game from the previous night) and see the Leafs ever lose?  It reminds me of that MLSE soccer channel where TFC even in their bad years would show the same five games (because that's all the team won one season) over and over and maybe a come from behind tie.  

Watching Concacaf League has sparked my interest in these Central American leagues. It would be nice for Onesoccer to do a Concacaf Club football roundup that keeps us up to date with these leagues. I think there is some strong viewership potential for this content based on some of the viewership numbers I see around some YouTube clips. Bring in some Central American pundits who'll bring eye balls with them

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Watching Concacaf League has sparked my interest in these Central American leagues. It would be nice for Onesoccer to do a Concacaf Club football roundup that keeps us up to date with these leagues. I think there is some strong viewership potential for this content based on some of the viewership numbers I see around some YouTube clips. Bring in some Central American pundits who'll bring eye balls with them

I presume broadcast rights are pretty cheap. We should be showing more CONCACAF matches on our network.

43 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I presume broadcast rights are pretty cheap. We should be showing more CONCACAF matches on our network.

I think between Canada and the US there are lots of bilingual Latin American's that would appreciate a little bit of english coverage of these leagues and Concacaf tournaments 

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

"Soccer" might not be niche, but individual leagues/events can be.

Will be interesting to see if OneSoccer releases their streaming numbers.

I think their argument is that should they be on cable, they are capable of an adequate number of viewers. There was tweet saying that Onesoccer is believe to have between 15 to 20k subscribers

Also

Let's not forget that they have all the rights to CCL involving MLS clubs who's game they broadcast themselves for league games and tournaments involving the national team that drew over a million during WCQ.

Even Telus is saying it's BS

22 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think their argument is that should they be on cable, they are capable of an adequate number of viewers. There was tweet saying that Onesoccer is believe to have between 15 to 20k subscribers

Also

Let's not forget that they have all the rights to CCL involving MLS clubs who's game they broadcast themselves for league games and tournaments involving the national team that drew over a million during WCQ.

I'm on the side that soccer is more than niche, and that the CPL can carry viewership that rivals other leagues broadcast by Rogers itself. However, I feel that it's worth noting that the Forge-HFX match mentioned at 54k viewership was the Island Games Finals.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Also

I do not think you can compare free on CBC vs what a subscription would produce for viewers. A better comparable would be to question why BEIN is allowed on but not them, since that's another niche soccer channel.

Edit: And again, OneSoccer would be able to help their cause by revealing what their subscription numbers are. Last I saw the numbers were redacted, but Rogers thought they were low enough that it strengthened their case.

Edited by Watchmen

39 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I do not think you can compare free on CBC vs what a subscription would produce for viewers. A better comparable would be to question why BEIN is allowed on but not them, since that's another niche soccer channel.

Edit: And again, OneSoccer would be able to help their cause by revealing what their subscription numbers are. Last I saw the numbers were redacted, but Rogers thought they were low enough that it strengthened their case.

Because they own an MLS team and don't want to indirectly promote a direct competitor? There's lots of bad faith in their response, even Telus is calling their BS. It's not personal - it's business.

Also, it's the same telecom giant that ruthlessly kills any chances for foreign companies to step into the Canadian market - are we really surprised that they would behave the same with regards to medias when a Spanish foreign entity is trying to get into our market?

Edited by Ansem

48 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Because they own an MLS team and don't want to indirectly promote a direct competitor? There's lots of bad faith in their response, even Telus is calling their BS. It's not personal - it's business.

BEIN does show CPL games though, which means they're "indirectly promoting a competitor". Again, I'd love to know the number of subscribers for BEIN. I think that would be a better argument for OneSoccer than anything aired on the CBC.

Someone in Alberta can correct me on this, but I had heard that Telus had dropped OneSoccer there (still available in BC).

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

BEIN does show CPL games though, which means they're "indirectly promoting a competitor".

On their app or TV?

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Someone in Alberta can correct me on this, but I had heard that Telus had dropped OneSoccer there (still available in BC).

I see Onesoccer on Telus page for both province - maybe they got dropped from the sport package?*

*I haven't had cable in years