OneSoccer

Foreen

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Don't see why its a bad thing for One Soccer to diversify how they are broadcast.

They are also on a competing streaming service (Fubo).

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What advantage would there be to reach only the streaming or tv audiences? Reaching the largest number of viewers seems pretty straight forward

I maybe needed to emphasize the sarcasm more in my post. 

Yeah, I don't disagree. Streaming might be growing, but this kind of specialization is still a tough sell. It's why figuring our a way to make it work with Bell/Rogers makes the most sense and always has. But I still remember being told leading up to the WCQ octo "not to worry - a million people will sign up for OneSoccer to see this".

Best of luck to OS in this battle.  The protectionist writing has been on the wall for a long time with respect to the big Canadian telecoms.  Bell and Rogers essentially own MLSE, who own sports teams in the North America’s biggest leagues.   They, in turn, shun properties and companies that don’t feed into that model - with OS and CPL being prime examples of how others can be frozen out if they don’t serve the interest of the monoliths.  I am no expert in anti-trust law, but the idea that almost-monopolistic telecoms could thwart legitimate media companies by selectively blocking access to basic telecom infrastructure seems offensive at best, and illegal at worst.  

I don’t generally assume the guilt of Goliaths in battles like these but in this case I am definitely in the David camp.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I’m a paying cable customer.  $150 a month for crap.  But I still can’t bring myself to cutting the cord, kinda like my home phone.  Anyone got swamp land in Qatar to sell me?  I can go look at it in November.

I'll play.

$170 monthly for the cable and internet.  And all I watch is the news and NHL.  That's it.  Nothing I can't get through an app I'm sure.

Now I just dropped $200 for fubotv just to get my EPL which I just watch casually.  

DAZN is $150 which I'm keeping for Champions League (and some other sports).

OneSoccer was $100 touch which I won't need to renew.

Aaand, Gawdamn CelticTV is $300!  Though to be honest the last couple of years I don't get it until December so closer to $200.

On SHAW and damned sure we'll give up the box when the hardware dies.  I say that now but...

We were the last people in our circles to have a land line and we gave that up years ago.

Article mentions Rogers has agreed to add OneSoccer's app to Ignite tv. This would be a new step for Rogers since the only Ignite sports apps listed are SN Now and a generic sports scores/stats app. Not even TSN is available. This would only be a nice to have for OneSoccer as it would still require people to subscribe.

Today we're in a 50/50 world between streaming and linear tv. It's slated to be about 60/40 by 2025. Besides skewing towards the boomer & over crowd, linear tv subs skew more towards sports and news junkies. So, there is another 20-30 years to milk this cash cow.

The key for OneSoccer is to be included in the regular sports package. This means even people who don't want OneSoccer will be paying $1/month for it. And it would likely increase viewing numbers enough to attract a bit more more ads at higher rates. There are about 7-8 million TSN/SN subs, so Mediapro gets about $100 million per year to beef up tech/productions/buy more rights.

The problem for Rogers/Bell is that they'll have to decide whether to pass on the cost to their subscribers, eat the cost in whole or in part or drop another channel. Having the majority of Canadians who don't watch sports but are still paying for TSN/SN has been an ingredient in the secret sauce behind sports networks being the highest revenue generating tv channels.

Next option would be included in Ignite's flex channel package. People would have to proactively add OneSoccer and drop another channel but there is no added cost. At the very least, it would curtail all the people who complain Canada isn't on tv and/or the women's team isn't being treated equally. A middle ground solution especially if OneSoccer's app is also listed.

The next option is to be just included in Ignite's lineup. People would have proactively add OneSoccer and pay extra ($1/month as per Mediapro CEO but at least $4/month seems to be the standard on Ignite). This would be a nice to have for OneSoccer as they don't have men's WCQs in the next 5 years to move the needle.

Edited by red card

On 8/6/2022 at 4:24 AM, red card said:

....The key for OneSoccer is to be included in the regular sports package. This means even people who don't want OneSoccer will be paying $1/month for it. And it would likely increase viewing numbers enough to attract a bit more more ads at higher rates. There are about 7-8 million TSN/SN subs, so Mediapro gets about $100 million per year to beef up tech/productions/buy more rights....

How likely do you think that is to happen? Have always wondered whether the Mediapro people fully understood where soccer fits in the sports media market in the world view of a 50- or 60-something Canadian corporate exec (and how soccer has been actively excluded from that sort of cable TV cash bonanza over the decades by people who view gridiron, hockey and baseball as the only legitimately Canadian sports) when they bid for the CSB rights package.

Some people on Reddit seem to have convinced themselves that this is the start of an exit strategy on their part if they don't get what they want given the parallels with Ligue 1 and Canal+ where a struggling streaming venture is concerned. Timing being shortly after MLS nailed down 10 years worth of media rights with Apple TV that the CSB deal may have been seen as a stepping stone towards from Mediapro's vantage point may or may not be a coincidence but hope they are wrong.

34 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

...how their gamble with the national team’s rights had paid off and were more valuable than expected at this point. 

CSB are the ones that are benefiting to some extent from a gamble on CMNT and CWNT sponsorship deals. The problem for Mediapro in making money off all of this is that TSN hold the rights to the WC finals games in 2022 and 2026 that fans are most likely to watch.

https://www.tsn.ca/bell-media-extends-its-fifa-world-cup-soccer-package-to-2026-1.206081

TORONTO (February 12, 2015) – Bell Media announced today it has reached a new agreement with the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) that extends its media rights deal through the next 12 years. With this extension Bell Media owns exclusive Canadian media rights to the FIFA World Cup package from 2015-2026, now including the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

In addition to the upcoming FIFA WOMEN’S WORLD CUP CANADA 2015™, 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA™, and 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™, the extended agreement now includes the 2026 FIFA World Cup, FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023, FIFA U-20 World Cup 2023 and 2025, FIFA U-17 World Cup 2023 and 2025, FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2023 and 2025, FIFA Futsal World Cup 2024, FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2024 and 2026, FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2024 and 2026, and FIFA Confederations Cup 2025....

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Or it’s simply a strategic play and next step timed to coincide with the hype around national team and World Cup. Weren’t we just saying how their gamble with the national team’s rights had paid off and were more valuable than expected at this point. 

CSB is not the same as OneSoccer/MediaPro. Canada's success made the MNT rights more valuable, but I don't know if we can say that's paid off in increased subscriptions. I'm sure they got paid well by Sportsnet for the WCQ rights, but that's not coming around again soon.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:42 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Best of luck to OS in this battle.  The protectionist writing has been on the wall for a long time with respect to the big Canadian telecoms.  Bell and Rogers essentially own MLSE, who own sports teams in the North America’s biggest leagues.   They, in turn, shun properties and companies that don’t feed into that model - with OS and CPL being prime examples of how others can be frozen out if they don’t serve the interest of the monoliths.  I am no expert in anti-trust law, but the idea that almost-monopolistic telecoms could thwart legitimate media companies by selectively blocking access to basic telecom infrastructure seems offensive at best, and illegal at worst.  

I don’t generally assume the guilt of Goliaths in battles like these but in this case I am definitely in the David camp.

Fully agree, but remember that One Soccer is not really a David. They are the kid of a Goliath, more or less. That might be a reason there is the reticence. 

I seriously doubt MediaPro has any savvy in the Canadian political market, and nowhere near what they wield in Spain.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, red card said:

The key for OneSoccer is to be included in the regular sports package. This means even people who don't want OneSoccer will be paying $1/month for it.

They might be able to force their way on to being available on Rogers and Bell, but I don't think they'll be able to force their way on to the "regular sports package".  Sportsnet and TSN don't even include all of their own channels on this, and they'll be able to argue it's a specialty channel more in line with the Golf Network or BEIN (neither of which I think are available on any regular sports package).

On 8/16/2022 at 1:15 PM, Rivaldo said:

What team do you think is more valuable than the Leafs?

I doubt it.

As RS alluded to, there was recently a valuation of all Canadian teams (I think it included NHL, NBA, MLB, CFL, and MLS... though I am not 100% sure about the CFL since they didn't have a team in the top 10). Raptors first, Leafs second. I think it was the Jays 3rd but it might have been the Habs. TFC was the highest rated soccer team in 10th (after the 7 NHL teams + Raptors + Jays).

20 minutes ago, Kent said:

As RS alluded to, there was recently a valuation of all Canadian teams (I think it included NHL, NBA, MLB, CFL, and MLS... though I am not 100% sure about the CFL since they didn't have a team in the top 10). Raptors first, Leafs second. I think it was the Jays 3rd but it might have been the Habs. TFC was the highest rated soccer team in 10th (after the 7 NHL teams + Raptors + Jays).

I would think Whitecaps/Montreal would then come in at 11th and 12th. I can't think of who else it might be. 

Riders still top 3 in merchandise sales?

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

FC Edmonton?

That confirms that SpursFlu comments here aren't actually what they know to be true.

Basically they're trolling us. Probably with all the time they've had hiding in their house from Covid, with already 4 shots, looking for their 5th.

3 minutes ago, nfitz said:

That confirms that SpursFlu comments here aren't actually what they know to be true.

Basically they're trolling us. Probably with all the time they've had hiding in their house from Covid, with already 4 shots, looking for their 5th.

Or I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to having a laugh.

If you're an FC Edmonton fan fear not.. my amazing ability to tell the future tells me that a Phonzie/Oilers un holy alliance will make FC Edmonton the talk of the Canadian sports landscape 

15 minutes ago, nfitz said:

And no.. I haven't had any of those shots but never say never.. im starting to hear the war drums beating again and we've got way too much inventory we must move... oh I mean MUST move. Roll up those sleeves kiddies if you want to visit grandma. Be calm be kind.. Hahahaha

IMG-20220816-WA0000.jpg

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, RS said:

Jesus @nfitz, what have you done?

I've unleashed the Krakken. I know they're really a Seattle fan.

Besides we know they are trolling us; being fully aware of the side-effects to the like of even the vaccinated like Davies and Akinola. Heck, I finally got it a few weeks ago ... I'm enjoying the blood clot in my leg (95% survival rate) - and planning my 4th and 5th doses.

TSN is reminding me of the early days of OneSoccer. I don't have a PVR, and I was away during the first half of the TFC game last night. I was hoping to watch it on their website later that night, or today. The game still isn't available (unless I am missing something?) They have the Nigeria vs Canada game from later last night available, as well as USA vs Czechia World Junior hockey game from later last night, but not the TFC game (or the Whitecaps game for that matter) yet. It's driving me nuts and it's getting annoying avoiding spoilers.

I'm glad OneSoccer has GREATLY improved in this regard in the last year or so.