OneSoccer

Foreen

19 hours ago, RS said:

I wouldn't be surprised if TSN outbids OneSoccer for the rights to the September MNT friendlies.

The lead-up to Qatar will be in full swing at that point.

Doesn't OneSoccer already have the rights to all Canada friendlies?

I still can't believe how much OneSoccer has shifted from mostly CPL coverage to much more national team and MLS coverage. At least in terms of news articles and content on their weekly shows. I wonder if they just get more views, or if they're planning to take a run at MLS rights in the future?

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I still can't believe how much OneSoccer has shifted from mostly CPL coverage to much more national team and MLS coverage. At least in terms of news articles and content on their weekly shows. I wonder if they just get more views, or if they're planning to take a run at MLS rights in the future?

You would think TSN would be doing the same thing with the CPL.  MLS will prob be out of their price range next year, better show some CPL highlights in case thats the league they end up showing next year.  

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You would think TSN would be doing the same thing with the CPL.  MLS will prob be out of their price range next year, better show some CPL highlights in case thats the league they end up showing next year.  

Considering how years of investment and commitment to the CFL has made that one of TSN's most highly rated properties, you'd think someone there might think there's a chance they could do the same with CPL, a league that in a lot of ways is quite similar.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

But Apple+ is now signed on for 10 years for MLS

Doubt they would sublicense to One Soccer.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Could be something as simple as increased staffing levels and expertise.  More hands showing more work.  And it's not as though they needed a ton more CPL coverage so....

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You would think TSN would be doing the same thing with the CPL.  MLS will probably be out of their price range next year. 

Not necessarily, no. MLS is negotiating deals in the US with ESPN and Fox, and it sounds like it's not that pricey. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jabariyoung/2022/07/21/as-tv-deals-expire-major-league-soccer-fields-smaller-offers-from-espn-fox-sports/?sh=19c49ff37fb8

Seems to me MLS wants to ensure they've still got a presence on tv, so the money is less important. We'll almost certainly get less MLS on TSN, but I don't think we'll get none either.

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

Considering how years of investment and commitment to the CFL has made that one of TSN's most highly rated properties, you'd think someone there might think there's a chance they could do the same with CPL, a league that in a lot of ways is quite similar.

Because the same people who own TSN own MLSE

So if MLSE bought an NFL team and stuck it in Toronto and built a giant stadium and started telling people in Winnipeg and Halifax etc that NFL team was all of Canadas team. How much effort would they put in to the CFL? I like your question.. why doesn't TSN get behind the CEBL? But NBA summer league (yawn) all over my TV screen?

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

Those were the days, my friend. CFL deal started in the boom years for cable sports tv. Gridiron is also the #2 or #3 watched sport on Canadian tv. Canadian soccer blew its window of opportunity when TSN gave the CSL a shot before the CFL.

Today, now on their downside of their product cycle, It's time to milk the cash cows. TSN also don't need another summer sport given the CFL & MLS. Corporate synergies also favour showing MLS & CFL. 

So, second or lower tier properties like NLL, CHL, Rugby Canada & prevously CSA get on tv by largely paying the costs and sharing ad revenue rather than getting paid for rights. Otherwise, TSN can easily show low cost repackaged highlight shows and turn key ESPN programming to get about the same to higher numbers. Similar story with SN who focus on 4 cash cows that all have corporate synergies. 

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

Those were the days, my friend. CFL deal started in the boom years for cable sports tv. Gridiron is also the #2 or #3 watched sport on Canadian tv. Canadian soccer blew its window of opportunity when TSN gave the CSL a shot before the CFL.

Today, now on their downside of their product cycle, It's time to milk the cash cows. TSN also don't need another summer sport given the CFL & MLS. Corporate synergies also favour showing MLS & CFL. 

So, second or lower tier properties like NLL, CHL, Rugby Canada & prevously CSA get on tv by largely paying the costs and sharing ad revenue rather than getting paid for rights. Otherwise, TSN can easily show low cost repackaged highlight shows and turn key ESPN programming to get about the same to higher numbers. Similar story with SN who focus on 4 cash cows that all have corporate synergies. 

I think this is what makes the failure of the CPL to get more on to the CBC so disappointing. Ratings were fine for the Island Games, and the CEBL is on their as well.

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

My theory is One Soccer is so happy with all the new subscribers they got with the rise of CanMNT that they don't care anymore to do the CPL on CBC

They sold the rights to all the WCQs. How many new subscribers do you honestly think they got?

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They sold the rights to all the WCQs. How many new subscribers do you honestly think they got?

No idea. I wish it was publicized.

But there are a lot of cord cutters our there and really a 1 year subscription is relatively cheap comp6to other streaming services 

Here & there, envy of CEBL has been expressed - largely due to being on CBC. Good way to get casuals is the standard refrain. This is literally old school thinking as CBC's tv market share has fallen to 5% of Canadian tv viewers and you're largely reaching the over 55 age group. 

So, despite the CBC exposure, the available engagement numbers say both CEBL & CPL don't have too much penetration but CPL has more. 

I haven't seen any CEBL ratings from third parties which implies ratings aren't noteworthy. CEBL only has released viewership numbers once which implies there isn't much for them to crow about. 

They were first Canadian league to restart in 2020. Over 7 games on CBC TV, CEBL said 1.2 million viewers watched at least 2 minutes. This averages out to 171k per match. The industry standard of average viewers per game wasn't disclosed. It's likely similar to CPL numbers on CBC which ranged from 11-86k. 

Another 65k in total unique viewers watched the 26 CEBL games (2.5k per game) streamed on cbc's website or Gem. Another 120k in total (4.7k per game) watched on twitch. Reddit posters for 2021 season have said it is usually less than 200 that are watching live on twitch for any given minute. CEBL has also been on NBA TV this year for Edmonton's Americas Champions League group matches. 

Mediapro produces both CEBL & CPL. So, it could be telling that CEBL is freely available while the CPL hasn't been.

Attendance wise, 2022 average attendance per CEBL team ranges from 942 to 2,776. CEBL average is 1,824. CPL average so far this year is higher at 2,873. CPL has 5 clubs averaging over 3k while CEBL has 3 teams averaging over 2k. 

For social media followers, CPL has 1.6x more for instagram, 2x more for tik tok & linkedin, 3.4x more for twitter, 4x more youtube subs, 7.7x more for facebook and 12x more reddit members.

11 hours ago, red card said:

OneSoccer just showed on Canadian Championship pre-match that they're showing the friendlies. 

Screenshot 2022-07-26 223641.jpg

Yeah, that was a mild surprise for me. I figured TSN would be all-in for those friendlies.

21 hours ago, red card said:

...Attendance wise, 2022 average attendance per CEBL team ranges from 942 to 2,776. CEBL average is 1,824. CPL average so far this year is higher at 2,873. CPL has 5 clubs averaging over 3k while CEBL has 3 teams averaging over 2k. 

For social media followers, CPL has 1.6x more for instagram, 2x more for tik tok & linkedin, 3.4x more for twitter, 4x more youtube subs, 7.7x more for facebook and 12x more reddit members.

Reading that was a bit like listening to Radio Moscow on shortwave back in the day. Pig iron production in the Turkmen SSR has increased by 15% etc etc... What CEBL has going for it is that they can put a team into pretty much any junior hockey arena during the CHL's off season making expansion much easier than is the case with CanPL where finding suitable stadia is often highly problematic. Smaller rosters also mean that they don't necessarily need as many spectators to break even.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Reading that was a bit like listening to Radio Moscow on shortwave back in the day. Pig iron production in the Turkmen SSR has increased by 15% etc etc... What CEBL has going for it is that they can put a team into pretty much any junior hockey arena during the CHL's off season making expansion much easier than is the case with CanPL where finding suitable stadia is often highly problematic. Smaller rosters also mean that they don't necessarily need as many spectators to break even.

Firstly: Is it worth scaling down the model if the result is a lesser product though? I went to an Ottawa Blackjacks game against the Saskatchewan Rattlers a couple of weeks ago, and it was thoroughly underwhelming. Between the lopsided/somewhat amateur-looking performance, cheesy DJ (including an incredibly confusing DJ battle), the low attendance and the team trying *so* hard to get people excited, it was a pretty big disappointment. I'm admittedly not much of a basketball fan/expert, but the buddies of mine I went with were excited to go . . . and then more excited to leave. Meanwhile, those same friends - who are much bigger basketball fans than soccer fans - have become hooked on Atletico Ottawa, to the point where one of them now splits my season tickets with me and has been coming out to a few fan events. 

We've known for some time that the CPL would incur losses for a number of years, and COVID has obviously had an impact in making that situation more difficult. But looking at attendance increases in Ottawa, Calgary and Victoria, Halifax staying the course, Forge settling into a more regular attendance range, and York (possibly?) having owners/connections with deep enough pockets to get them into a better facility with a better gameday atmosphere, I'd much rather see the league stay the course and push for a professional product in the right venues with the right owners. We already have scaled-down, regional, semi-pro bus leagues in the form of League One Canada (which also seems to be moving in a good direction). That draws the crowds that it draws, but I think most of us can agree that we not only can do better, but should continue to invest in making the CPL a success. 

Secondly: Don't be crass.