Match Thread - Apr 27th - Forge FC vs York 9

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They've been training full-time for at least six weeks, so they should be fully fit and fully familiar with each other by now. Think what you saw today and will see tomorrow should be the teams almost fully up to speed.

In what sport is anyone fully up to speed by their first competitive challenge? Stop being such a doubting Thomas as someone likes to label you on here or such an ignorant douchebag ( my favourite by far).

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Really, and the importance of being in the first team at club level from a national team perspective has nothing to do with being an indication of how well somebody is playing? The idea that coaches like Jim Brennan and Bobby Smyrniotis do not know how to have players fully fit and on the same page tactically after six weeks of preseason is an insult to their professionalism and that of the league in general.

Wow you truly are a cunt.

Not sure this has been posted yet. John Molinaro's take on the game:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-premier-league-kicks-off-marking-new-era-soccer-canada/

...CPL commissioner David Clanachan was beaming when speaking to reporters at halftime, lauding the no-nonsense standard of play on the pitch.

“I’m seeing a tough, hard-fought, let ‘em play [brand of soccer]. No diving, no rolling around, no embellishment, none of that stuff. This is the kind of game this country wants, and I think Canadians will respect that. The players are all in. There’s nobody loafing on this field,” Clanachan enthused.

He later added: “For the league opener, pretty damn good.”...

^^^bit worrying. There's nothing wrong with our sport. Sounds like he is stuck in a 1970s-80s time warp. The younger generation has moved on.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

16 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

Do we have an official attendance for this game? I imagine the weather kept many away.

I was at the stadium early, and it was ridiculously cold. I was not sure if I could actually stay in the stands with what I had. Others went to Marks to buy clothes. 

Luckily by kick off the sun came out.   It was snowing a few hours earlier with crazy wind.

Attendance was 17K

Aside from terror inducing cold pre game, the day was a really good one.

They did a great job and kicked the league off well. 

I know first hand staff worked their asses off dealing with the ticketing issues and getting things together non stop right up till kick off.

Barton Street looked really good and Generation 9 filled buses and sang songs.

Two Canadian kids scored.

Just fucking awesome all around and the affect this is going to have on Canadian soccer will be amazing. 

Cold? We woke up to about 2 cm of snow and a bit below zero, drove a couple hours south to Hamilton and had to start shedding layers while we got tans in the sunshine! A great event, a great game. The TiCats/Forge are a well-managed company. The pre-game ceremonies were pretty good, considering open stadium, daytime and the wind. Never seen so much orange smoke before.

As for the game itself, pleased with the quality of play. I like how Forge played and they seem to just be lacking that last touch in front of goal. Hopefully, this will improve as they play more together. Forge were pretty short on average compared to York, and at first found it difficult to handle the pace of York's forwards. Felt they were a bit shaky defensively but, again, this may change as they play actual games together. Something new for us is having season seats: fun to meet our new neighbours there.

Nice to see the new FIFA rules: leaving the nearest side of the field when substituted, and short goal kicks within the box. Does any one know about reviews of matches for disciplinary reasons? We thought Bekker was going to get a direct red, or at least a yellow. I had recorded the CBC feed and watched it afterwards and still feel the same.

2 minutes ago, RickC said:

Cold? We woke up to about 2 cm of snow and a bit below zero, drove a couple hours south to Hamilton and had to start shedding layers while we got tans in the sunshine! A great event, a great game. The TiCats/Forge are a well-managed company. The pre-game ceremonies were pretty good, considering open stadium, daytime and the wind. Never seen so much orange smoke before.

As for the game itself, pleased with the quality of play. I like how Forge played and they seem to just be lacking that last touch in front of goal. Hopefully, this will improve as they play more together. Forge were pretty short on average compared to York, and at first found it difficult to handle the pace of York's forwards. Felt they were a bit shaky defensively but, again, this may change as they play actual games together. Something new for us is having season seats: fun to meet our new neighbours there.

Nice to see the new FIFA rules: leaving the nearest side of the field when substituted, and short goal kicks within the box. Does any one know about reviews of matches for disciplinary reasons? We thought Bekker was going to get a direct red, or at least a yellow. I had recorded the CBC feed and watched it afterwards and still feel the same.

By the time the doors opened it had really warmed up a lot.

Earlier in the day it was nasty.  Bits of snow, high wind with cold was not a good combination.

As we were walking around the stadium earlier, someone said "God hates Canadian soccer"

Thankfully it really warmed up. 

1 hour ago, RickC said:

Ha ha, I was just going to give big props to the family beside me driving down from Barrie for every game and now I'm starting to think that may have been you @RickC 😃

From where we were 20 rows back of Forge FC bench I was mildly surprised Bekker didn't get a red as you often see reds given for such plays.  But watching it live I didn't think there was a lot of intent in it, just a little wrestle for the ball that ended up looking like an elbow from certain angles.  Personally I would have given a yellow, but I'm a biased Forge FC fan.

Big props to all the fans on the west side, started out quiet and a bit tentative but got right into the match as the game went on, everyone around me had a great time.  Barton Street Battalion looked great from our vantage point. 

Thanks too to everyone who travelled a long way to contribute to the positive energy of this awesome day.  Also those who skipped the TFC game to come to the Hammer!

Despite some errors being made I generally liked the refereeing in this match.  My favourite reffing jobs always strike a balance between protecting technical play and allowing the physicality I love in soccer and I thought this match had both in spades (despite some periods of sloppiness interspersed).  I really enjoyed the flow and the energy of the match and I'd personally rather see a few calls missed than a match that's over-called.

I think Forge FC deserved to win but based on the style Smyrniotis is trying to instill there will be matches where we outplay and out-possess the opponent and still lose due to errors at the back or giveaways or smart counterattacks.  Borges MOTM for Forge from my vantage point, was really a dynamic force on the wing.

York9 had a smart road gameplan  and with some luck on their side worked it to perfection.  Rollocks, Telfer, Adjei, and Porter are all long and lanky and fast and will prove a handful to contain this season.  Gasparotto was fantastic at the back and obviously Ingham MOTM.  That save on Borges was unreal. 

15 hours ago, Macksam said:

....after seeing that I can safely say we will pass the USMNT in 5 years time.

All of their best young players are skipping MLS for Germany. I don't think we will pass them but this league can only raise the quality of our player pool. 

What a fantastic historic day that was, I'm still basking in the glow! It was really cold and windy at the stadium, of course today is a near perfect day here in Hamilton, the weather killed the idea of filling the upper tier which I thought was a mistake for that very reason! It was awesome being at THF for the pre game and meeting up with so many people we know! The quality of the match was quite good considering conditions, Forge were nervous in the early going and it cost them, in the end though we could have all 3 points, , I think the league may be better than some were expecting! It's really exciting to think now we will have several more of these soccer games in the near future as opposed to the occasional CWNT friendly and the PanAms, we love our seats and the atmosphere was top notch! Props to Alan and the Battalion for all of the hard work and dedication to make this a success, the BSB have really taken off since 5 or 6 of us started it a few years back! The post game event at The Endzone Bar was busier than I could have imagined, soccer has arrived in The Hammer! Thanks to all the Voyageurs who travelled from all over the country to witness this historical event, it means a lot to us locals! 

To finish off this perfect weekend I finally got a chance to play some music with @Tuscan (Saskatoon Jeff) We had been discussing this since the Cuba trip in 2012 today he came up to play some 90's punk rock in my basement studio, pictures to follow perhaps! It was a perfect end to a great weekend! Cheers to all!

Edited by gator

Post game pics and full length audio from the CPL inaugural game.

Press conference with Head coach Bobby Smyniotis then Jim Brennan. These are the full 8 minute clips unlike the 10 second blip-verts you see on sports-news shows! 

Hallway interviews with York 9's Ryan Telfer, Joey Di Chiari, Manny Aparicio, Nathan Ingram then SaugaSG fans!  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york087.htm 

48 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Bekker's end product was disappointing, but he got into the most dangerous positions.

Di Chiara is getting lots of love here and from the commentary team but he did nothing on the ball but get stripped a few times. He was probably York's most disappointing player for me.

Bekker should’ve been sent off. Lucky boy. 

17 hours ago, El Diego said:

Bekker's end product was disappointing, but he got into the most dangerous positions.

Di Chiara is getting lots of love here and from the commentary team but he did nothing on the ball but get stripped a few times. He was probably York's most disappointing player for me.

Di Chiara got love here? For me it was pretty obvious from the stands that he did not have a good game at all. Hope to see better next match, I'll chalk it down to the harsh wind and maybe opening day nerves.

For positivity, I thought Borges was outstanding, and I thought Ricci injected some class for Y9 as a sub. Great day overall, the atmosphere in the stadium from the fans was fabulous.

I thought the NSXI tactical analysis that's on the front page of the CSN website was very well done, great stuff.

Edited by ironcub14

On 4/28/2019 at 5:45 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Getting it visible on the main menu rather than hidden away under the "more countries" tab is something people should probably contact them about.

Livescore is so 2010ish lol, there are much better score-tracking websites/apps that have CPL as well such as Fotmob and SofaScore.