Match Thread - Apr 27th - Forge FC vs York 9

10 minutes ago, Hybred said:

I realised a little bit later who was posting Matty and from reading your posts I know you are a supporter of the league. It was just a quick reaction and misguided reaction so I apologise, too much time reading these forums and idiots with their anti-CPL agenda. Sorry Bud!!

it's the lack of Simpson's themed pic

4 minutes ago, matty said:

...also there's nothing wrong with both numbers, it's fantastic that 42k+ people watched live soccer in a single media market in canada on the same day.

Maybe shows that Hamilton is far enough out to really not be much of a factor for TFC and to be largely untapped from a pro soccer standpoint, which makes the case for Durham region being a viable possibility stronger regardless of what happens with York 9.

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

...because playing matches consistently does nothing to improve your play.

What a goddamn joke this guy is. 

Really, and the importance of being in the first team at club level from a national team perspective has nothing to do with being an indication of how well somebody is playing? The idea that coaches like Jim Brennan and Bobby Smyrniotis do not know how to have players fully fit and on the same page tactically after six weeks of preseason is an insult to their professionalism and that of the league in general.

34 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Not sure about the app but TV didn't show opening ceremonies. My only disappointment. Overall a great day for Canadian Soccer.

That was a bit of a disappointment.  Not that I was too interested in opening ceremonies, but given that they were not showing what was happening on the field (ie. Players warming up, getting ready for kickoff, I thought I had time for a bathroom break, and was shocked to see I had missed the first 90 seconds of the game when I returned.

I was there with the York 9 travelling fans, it was a great event overall. The attendance was pretty good (I’m hearing north of 17k) and the match itself was good. I’m actually impressed with the level of play, it’s better than I was expecting. I think that it’s going to be really cool to see some of the smaller venues packed. All in all, I’m really pleased. 

So a bit better game recap.

Great atmosphere.  The weather worked against us but still 17,600 is a good attendance level.  Thanks to the York9 fans for coming out for what looks to be a good rivalry game.

The player of the game was definitely Nathan Ingram for York.  York got thoroughly outplayed after the first 5 minutes and without Ingram’s brilliant play they would have lost.  He was simply the best player on the field and really impressive.

Man of the match was for Forge was Tristan Borges.  He was constantly a threat and did everything but put it on the net today.

Bekker should have gotten a red card and had several key chances but couldn’t convert.  His passing was excellent though at 88%.

Kwame Awuah had an outstanding game.  He actually lead the game in touches and passing and was very strong at LB all game long.  90% pass rate.

Manny Apraricio was the 2nd player for York9.  He did a good job breaking up plays all day but was (along with all of York) not very good in his passing accuracy. 

40 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe shows that Hamilton is far enough out to really not be much of a factor for TFC and to be largely untapped from a pro soccer standpoint, which makes the case for Durham region being a viable possibility stronger regardless of what happens with York 9.

possibly, curious what numbers york traveled with. could also be tfc fans don't care or people were just curious. time will tell

the only negative i see from the numbers is that tfc wasn't impacted by weather so cpl missing 25k is on them which isn't that big a deal

Edited by matty

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

So a bit better game recap.

Great atmosphere.  The weather worked against us but still 17,600 is a good attendance level.  Thanks to the York9 fans for coming out for what looks to be a good rivalry game.

The player of the game was definitely Nathan Ingram for York.  York got thoroughly outplayed after the first 5 minutes and without Ingram’s brilliant play they would have lost.  He was simply the best player on the field and really impressive.

Man of the match was for Forge was Tristan Borges.  He was constantly a threat and did everything but put it on the net today.

Bekker should have gotten a red card and had several key chances but couldn’t convert.  His passing was excellent though at 88%.

Kwame Awuah had an outstanding game.  He actually lead the game in touches and passing and was very strong at LB all game long.  90% pass rate.

Manny Apraricio was the 2nd player for York9.  He did a good job breaking up plays all day but was (along with all of York) not very good in his passing accuracy. 

I agree with your analysis in general, but I’d add that Gasparotto deserves serious praise for his performance, he was outstanding in the back. 

41 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I’ve been a TFC season seat holder and the Lakeshore West train always has a few thousand from every TFC games.  I think it’s an impact but more along the 3-5k per game range which isn’t surprising when Forge has 6,000 seat holders.  Most of the guys in BSB were/are TFC fans and there’s 500 of us.

From down in 118 I couldn't see the BSB crowd in 112 very well, but the Generation XI boys across the field looked energetic and in great spirits. Energy was a lot of fun even in 118 (and we were lucky to see many of the better attacking chances in both halfs lol), especially when Thomas scored. 

Of course the dispersal of fans can make it look a bit worse, but if you would've told me even a few months ago that a CanPL game would draw 17,000 in the first year, I would've been ecstatic. 

Gameplay was sloppy especially from Forge at the start. As they grew into the game, Forge seemed to be the better team and York seemed to tire out quickly.  The lack of fouls being called was a bit concerning, but seemed to go even both ways. 

Borges was Forge's clear best performer from the beginning. I'll add some more player reviews in the Forge FC thread.

On the York9 side, I thought Telfer was a cut above but didn't get much action in the second half. Also, that Abzi kid had a really nice run at the end. Ingham/Gasparotto were solid on the back. York seemed very solid defensively, and I thought they cleared the ball/played it better out of the back than forge did.

Already itching for more.

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Crazy seeing the stats vs what we thought we watched. If there was ever a test that we hone in on the negatives over the positives...

That 12% of Bekkers was spectacular though 😛

Also surprised at Awuahs stats, so many poor crosses early on although he did have a great second half. Main part is he got in the space, made space and got the ball. 

Imagining Choinere isnt fit? He will be a difference maker.

Finally had a chance to watch the full game, the most pleasing aspect was that the quality of play was high enough that this should not be a factor in causing casual fans to stay away once they have taken in a game. Hopefully attendance remains high with most of the Forge fans coming back.

The same cannot be said about the officiating which was at a much lower level but then it was a Ref that is also an MLS ref. 

Thought most of the best players for the Forge were the ones you would expect to be the best players except for Bekker who had an off game. Apparicio, Telfer, Di Chiara (who's name is not pronounced as Dicky Yara by the way Wheeler) and Gasparotto were York 9's top players IMO but Ingham and Austin Ricci were the pleasant surprises. 

I feel like history may have repeated itself though as I recall the first CSL game also featured a 1-1 draw with a team from Hamilton. 

18 hours ago, matty said:

there has been a lot of curiosity about whether they would be the tfc game or have an impact on attendance this weekend (as hamilton and york are considered part of the "toronto market"). just posting the results of that cause there have been curious parties here.

how about you go look back on posts from when the game was first announced instead of shitting on someone for posting the number.

also there's nothing wrong with both numbers, it's fantastic that 42k+ people watched live soccer in a single media market in canada on the same day.

Key point.

18 hours ago, Hybred said:

Regarding Attendance the 17,000 number makes sense. You have to remember there is a big bar and some people weren't in their seats but at the bar at one of the ends the whole game. But ya it was freezing just a few degrees above 0 until kickoff so for sure a lot of fairweather fans didn't show up. But there are basically no season tickets left so at least 6,000 for every game and the capacity is only 10,000 for each match so will look fuller in the future. 

Bekker was very disappointing but in general it looked like we had good players that still are getting used to each other and more importantly getting match fit. I expect a better second and third game for sure in terms of finish.

You can tell Bekker has all the tools to become the best number 10 in this league if he cleans up a little bit. 

When it comes to the league’s overall quality, it’s like I said before, this isn’t a better than/worse than situation with regards to the CPL and its relation to MLS. It’s just different. The players already have a great sense of space, composure and best of all,  they are giving it a serious go and trying to make things happen, taking risks. 

That run by York 9’s number 7 near the end of the game where he drove down the middle of the field, passing two players before succuming to the third summed up the whole experience for me....after seeing that I can safely say we will pass the USMNT in 5 years time.

Edit: Number 7 is Ricci. 

Edited by Macksam

I was not able to watch the game, but from what I am reading here, and just watching the highlights, I am impressed. Obviously a very minimal take, but the highlights really reflected some serious calibre. The goals were both nice, and it seemed quite strong, and not nearly as far of MLS (not that we should compare), as I would have thought.

Also as an early talking point... both keepers. When I saw the line-ups, both teams started the guys I thought were the back-ups! I was especially surprised Roberts did not start, is there a reason for this?

However, in terms of the performance by Ingham... is this not what the league is all about? Here is a guy who, without the CPL, would probably be riding the bench in low level pro or out entirely, but if he keeps playing like that... he is young for a keeper, 25, and could easily in a few years become a serious NT depth consideration. I know it is early, and could be a one off, but it is so exciting for us.

Edited by ktf

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

According to commentator brennan said henry simply won his spot in practice..if ingham plays like this all season should be at least the #3 of national team..no need now for a #2 or 3 gk of national team to be a backup in his club

fully agree, we have 2 goalies (borjan and max) getting solid 2 at solid levels of play, that #3 spot at the gold cup should be someone who is playing