Match Thread - Apr 27th - Forge FC vs York 9

Brilliant first match for our new Canadian league. Happy to see some familiar names, some of who played overseas and we never really knew, coming home to play in front of a Canadian crowd.  We can already see the potential and no doubt there will be many success stories. Looking forward to seeing the Edmonton v Pacific match in Victoria in June. 

Overall a super entertaining game. The quality wasn't the highest, but I also didn't expect it to be. It was actually above where I thought it would be which I'm happy about. 

Bekker got lucky not getting sent off with that elbow.

Borges, Welshman, and Ingham stood out to me. Ingham especially. I think Forge was unlucky not to win - they created far more attacking chances. In fairness though, they really didn't seem to be able to finish a play with a shot on target. A combination of York's defending and some player mistakes. York seemed to work more solidly as a unit. 

Loved it though. Can't wait for Halifax and Pacific tomorrow night!

How Bekker does not get sent off on that hit I’ll never know what the heck. Hopefully the league reviews and gives him a game or two no excuse for that , that’s were VAR would have definitely helped. Actually just saw it again that’s a fucken headshot concussion territory, let him sit 3 or 4 games I’m sorry!

Edited by SoccMan

York 9 

Standout:

Nathan Ingham - made solid saves throughout the game, kept York 9 in it. 

Not impressed:

Manu Aparacio - he was every where, but was  getting stiffled everywhere. A lot of his passes weren't completed. Gotbsent off and I'm surprised he's their captain. 

Forge FC

Standout: 

Tristan Borges - showed his quality all game, was unfortunate not to get on the score sheet but his name will be one of the firsts on Bobby's game sheet. 

Not impressed:

Kyle Bekker - literally had the same kinda of game as Aparacio. Should've been sent off for that bone head elbow, his quality on the final third was abysmal. 

Overall i was impressed with the quality of play, especially since i was watching the SPL in the morning. 

Forge

• Bekker didn't have a great game, started nervous, settled and showed a bit of what he is capable of but was very errant in his passing and decision making. Needs to not shoot and pass more. 
  • Welshman and Borges certainly showed their quality, Cisse looks like he will grow. Awuah had a bit of a stinker first half with his crossing but looked lively certainly in the second half when his fitness shone through. 
  • Huge congrats to Thomas, what a day for him. Great finish. 

York

• Rollocks looks exciting. Decent link up with known quality in Telfer and Adjei who did fine.  
  • Gasparotto was the best defender on the pitch imo. Di Chiara and Porter worked hard all game as did Aparicio and Murofushi. Ingham took his chance with both hands, literally. Should keep his place for game 2 at least. 

Overall

• Wind played a huge factor and nerves! As mentioned earlier that might be something they need to look at with two open ends. 
  • I agree the attendance look was disappointing rather than the number. The smaller grounds will look fantastic packed to the rims.
  • Enjoyed the game in general. Its a low standard but certainly not lower than we expected. The worry will be what its like when the tickets aren't free. 
  • Refereeing started ok, went to dubious and ended in farce. Disappointing. The ref can't catch everything but the linesman should also be helping out more. All should have picked up on the multitude of bad decisions.  
  • Thumbs up to Dunfield, thumbs sideways to Wheeler. He was ok, mixed some players up and was a bit too excitable for my liking but was impressed with Dunfield. 
  • One Media - some great angles for the Ingham saves, overall very impressed with the quality and packages before the game. Panel was fine other than showing Alex Bumbury on the screen to introduce him followed by his waffle on the manager being the chef, giving ingredients to the defenders and goal keeper and feeding the attack.. I lifted an eyebrow then went upstairs to make some food.  Also liked Bobby saying this isn't just sport we are in the sports entertainment industry. Thought Vince McMahon was going to turn up, apparently Bekker took it to heart. 

Was at the game. It was brutally cold. I didn't bring my kid because he would have froze. I'm sure it would have been fuller had it been a nice day. Game was good. Bekker was surprisingly horrible. Frano, Borges, and the subs Thomas and Zajac looked good. Telfer was the best player on the pitch.

The opening ceremonies were awesome. Imagine that it looked great on tv.

I am writing this in the Gen IX supporter bus stuck behind a stalled freight train in the Hammer. 

I just have to say I am over the moon about everything. I loved it all, the quality of play, the crowd, atmosphere. 

Our bus driver is now trying to do a 20 point turn out of this mess with the team bus behind us.

Regarding Attendance the 17,000 number makes sense. You have to remember there is a big bar and some people weren't in their seats but at the bar at one of the ends the whole game. But ya it was freezing just a few degrees above 0 until kickoff so for sure a lot of fairweather fans didn't show up. But there are basically no season tickets left so at least 6,000 for every game and the capacity is only 10,000 for each match so will look fuller in the future. 

Bekker was very disappointing but in general it looked like we had good players that still are getting used to each other and more importantly getting match fit. I expect a better second and third game for sure in terms of finish.

1 minute ago, matty said:

forge-york 9 17611

tfc-portland 24832 (above average so far this year)

What is the point in comparing to TFC you are aware Hamilton has a population of 500,000 and T.O is over 3 million you are also aware that TFC has existed for over 10 years and has diehard fans. How about you either get excited about this league or just cheer on TFC and stay in their section of the forum.

16 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Was at the game. It was brutally cold. I didn't bring my kid because he would have froze. I'm sure it would have been fuller had it been a nice day. Game was good. Bekker was surprisingly horrible. Frano, Borges, and the subs Thomas and Zajac looked good. Telfer was the best player on the pitch.

The opening ceremonies were awesome. Imagine that it looked great on tv.

Not sure about the app but TV didn't show opening ceremonies. My only disappointment. Overall a great day for Canadian Soccer.

6 hours ago, Hybred said:

What is the point in comparing to TFC you are aware Hamilton has a population of 500,000 and T.O is over 3 million you are also aware that TFC has existed for over 10 years and has diehard fans. How about you either get excited about this league or just cheer on TFC and stay in their section of the forum.

there has been a lot of curiosity about whether they would beat the tfc game or have an impact on attendance this weekend (as hamilton and york are considered part of the "toronto market"). just posting the results of that cause there have been curious parties here.

how about you go look back on posts from when the game was first announced instead of shitting on someone for posting the number.

also there's nothing wrong with both numbers, it's fantastic that 42k+ people watched live soccer in a single media market in canada on the same day.

Edited by matty

Just now, Hybred said:

...Bekker was very disappointing but in general it looked like we had good players that still are getting used to each other and more importantly getting match fit.

They've been training full-time for at least six weeks, so they should be fully fit and fully familiar with each other by now. Think what you saw today and will see tomorrow should be the teams almost fully up to speed.

Just now, matty said:

there has been a lot of curiosity about whether they would be the tfc game or have an impact on attendance this weekend (as hamilton and york are considered part of the "toronto market"). just posting the results of that cause there have been curious parties here.

how about you go look back on posts from when the game was first announced instead of shitting on someone for posting the number.

also there's nothing wrong with both numbers, it's fantastic that 42k+ people watched live soccer in a single media market in canada on the same day.

I realised a little bit later who was posting Matty and from reading your posts I know you are a supporter of the league. It was just a quick reaction and misguided reaction so I apologise, too much time reading these forums and idiots with their anti-CPL agenda. Sorry Bud!!

4 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Not sure about the app but TV didn't show opening ceremonies. My only disappointment. Overall a great day for Canadian Soccer.

We saw the ceremony on ONE, but with no commentary, crowd noise and only the PA system. 

I think it was fine, but nothing out of the ordinary. 

Worse thing is for players to have to wait around for anthems, ceremonies, speeches and other BS. Just go out, check the netting, play. 

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They've been training full-time for at least six weeks, so they should be fully fit and fully familiar with each other by now. Think what you saw today and will see tomorrow should be the teams almost fully up to speed.

So what you are saying is that practice and pre-season games against no actual real teams is the exact same thing as a normal match. SMH and not only that but these are players that have not played together before and just came together in the past few months so no previous chemistry. Clearly you are a soccer genius BBTB.

Back from the game, and very happy about the experience. Standing with my 5 year old son in section 112 when we scored was great fun. His smile emphasized the importance of this league, with fans having a local club and players to support. 

Game play is roughly what I expected, which is good, because as the players get into the season I expect the standard to improve. 112 was in full voice, and like the players our performance improved as we got on the same page with singing. 

As has been stated, there were a few fouls not called where we could see they definitely should have been from halfway across the stadium. The refereeing needs to be prioritized so we don’t have quality players being kicked out of this league. 

6 minutes ago, Hybred said:

So what you are saying is that practice and pre-season games against no actual real teams is the exact same thing as a normal match. SMH and not only that but these are players that have not played together before and just came together in the past few months so no previous chemistry. Clearly you are a soccer genius BBTB.

Lol.  Yeah, it's also why we don't care about whether or not someone is getting first team playing time when we pick the Nats - because playing matches consistently does nothing to improve your play.

What a goddamn joke this guy is.