Match Thread - Apr 27th - Forge FC vs York 9

Just thought we'd start a single thread just for the opener. 

I am watching on One Soccer. The commentary just clicked in a few seconds before kick-off. 

Stands look a bit sparse, there are people everywhere but few sections really full, except of course the York 9 and what I cannot see.

Telfer goal on a great pass through by Aparicio. 

York 9 had a great chance just before the keeper stopped, so maybe a bit of Forge nerves, and the visitors very focussed coming in.

So far, lively, chances, lots of space on that big pitch, and also the strategy looks a bit direct but also wide and some good strategy.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Maybe it's just me, or but the attendance seems to be a little bit low.
Does anyone know the number of Forge season ticket holders?

EDIT:  Actually, the stadium seems to be filling up a bit.  Must be a lot of latecomers.

Edited by spinrack

14 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Maybe it's just me, or but the attendance seems to be a little bit low.
Does anyone know the number of Forge season ticket holders?

EDIT:  Actually, the stadium seems to be filling up a bit.  Must be a lot of latecomers.

I agree, filling up a bit. We don't see the main stand, or the Forge supporter groups on tv. 

The camera work is fine, lots of angles, and the main camera is very high and pointed down, so you get a good feel of tactics. Both teams playing very wide, trying to play out from goal, both have a creative mid trying to spring the forwards. Quality is nice, I am pleased.

Seems to me the Forge player have a bit more problems on the ball and making the precise passes. Just saying: if this is the Sigma level (and I know this is crazy early, but supposedly the rival is one of the weaker sides) they may have to choose to improve it overall. Or maybe it is just nerves and getting up to the pace of the level.

It looks like more people are showing up.  Good thing, because it was pretty sparse at kick off.

Nice opening goal by Telfer.  The bicycle attempts at the other end would have been a nice count punch, but just missed. 

Crazy wind.  Not ideal conditions but a Spring league in Canada is bound to have wind and rain.

Weirdly,, Bekker seems to be the one misplacing the most passes.  

Anyone know why Quillan Roberts is sitting. Also weather is really windy, but I agree that they should have just filled the bottom. 

As predicted forge has heavy issues at the back..york doing a great job changing the line of pressure sometimes lower sometimes a high press and everytime they go high they win the ball..but they are giving too much space at the back specially on the counter but able to keep it out for now

I understand a lot of tickets were given away so that probably accounts for the dispersal.

Bekker killed the first 25 minutes but needs to dial his sights back in. Awuah is, um, bad. Some great play by Telfer. York's backline seems to be settling in a bit better than Forge's, not that either is any hell.

Much better soccer than I was afraid of; probably as good as I possibly hoped. And a professional product in every respect on TV. I am a happy man.

Well impressed by the play, both teams look solid. As we've said, Forge a bit nervous and a bit less quality in combining passing. They've found Nanco out wide on the left as pretty well the main option, though occasionally have had Bekker alone in the attacking middle. 

York9 was better coached, if we have to say such things, but since I was not sure what Brennan would bring, give him credit. They were overall more balanced on the pitch, in all parts of it, attacked down both sides, had some midfield finesse with Aparicio and the Murofushi , had some strong moments in possession and combined better. Like Forge, also wanted to play out the back. Their keeper looks solid, as their back line.

It is clear York9 will now be comfortable absorbing the Forge attack. 

Ganter missed at least 5 clear fouls when rivals ran over the back of someone with the ball. And clear kicks that did not get ball and took rivals down, another 3-4 of those. If this is our commssioner conditioning reffing, then it's bullshit: at one point, one coach shouted from the sideline: "How is that not a foul?". And he was right. Fortunately none of these would have brought a close-in free kick or penalty so far.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well impressed by the play, both teams look solid. As we've said, Forge a bit nervous and a bit less quality in combining passing. They've found Nanco out wide on the left as pretty well the main option, though occasionally have had Bekker alone in the attacking middle. 

York9 was better coached, if we have to say such things, but since I was not sure what Brennan would bring, give him credit. They were overall more balanced on the pitch, in all parts of it, attacked down both sides, had some midfield finesse with Aparicio and the Murofushi , had some strong moments in possession and combined better. Like Forge, also wanted to play out the back. Their keeper looks solid, as their back line.

It is clear York9 will now be comfortable absorbing the Forge attack. 

Ganter missed at least 5 clear fouls when rivals ran over the back of someone with the ball. And clear kicks that did not get ball and took rivals down, another 3-4 of those. If this is our commssioner conditioning reffing, then it's bullshit: at one point, one coach shouted from the sideline: "How is that not a foul?". And he was right. Fortunately none of these would have brought a close-in free kick or penalty so far.

Thought you might bring that up again.  And fair enough - there were clear fouls not called on multiple occasions. I still think there is a happy medium between allowing everything and reffing in a way that gets rid of some of the bullshit.  

And I agree with others that the level of play is definitely good.  Very enjoyable to watch.  

Pitch seems a bit hard.  Wind is great fun but it is what it is.  Sure feels like a season starter, timing and anticipation a bit wanting but certainly some understanding being worked on by both teams.  Forge growing in to things I think.  Wind at their back this half so fingers and toes crossed for a grand finish.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Thought you might bring that up again.  And fair enough - there were clear fouls not called on multiple occasions. I still think there is a happy medium between allowing everything and reffing in a way that gets rid of some of the bullshit.  

And I agree with others that the level of play is definitely good.  Very enjoyable to watch.  

You are a smaller, trickier player, like the Japanese mid for York9, and if you are protecting the ball and the rival just runs over you? 

If that is not a foul, if he can tackle you without getting ball, then you are destroying the game and the consequences will be clear: get rid of that guy, cut him from the roster, and sign someone with a bull back who can handle it when rivals play cowboy: is that what we want?

16 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Rollick has looked exciting. He is exactly what I wanted from this league, a young Canadian being given the opportunity to show his stuff. 

Agreed, and that strike combination works well too, thinking of Tefler. Rollick is also quick and has nice positioning.