Sign in to follow this  
Obinna

CPL U-20

57 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

The amsl equivalent in bc would probably be the Pacific Coast soccer league. 

That league has teams in Washington though right? That would make it a little different, but yeah I was thinking that would be the closest thing to a provincial league in British Columbia.

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That league has teams in Washington though right? That would make it a little different, but yeah I was thinking that would be the closest thing to a provincial league in British Columbia.

Not for quite a few years now.

The men's PCSL now has 8 teams, 6 in mainland BC and 2 from Vancouver Island. USL2's Victoria Highlanders play their reserve team in this league.

The PCSL relaunched their women's league this year as well, which has 6 teams. That being said, they haven't said a word about the women's side of the league since February, so I have no idea if it actually launched.

38 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Not for quite a few years now.

The men's PCSL now has 8 teams, 6 in mainland BC and 2 from Vancouver Island. USL2's Victoria Highlanders play their reserve team in this league.

The PCSL relaunched their women's league this year as well, which has 6 teams. That being said, they haven't said a word about the women's side of the league since February, so I have no idea if it actually launched.

Oh wow, that's fantastic to hear! Seems like there's a good skeleton in place to build a semi-pro regional D3 league upon (just like in Alberta).

Cool that the Highlanders have their reserve team in the league, maybe Pacific could follow suit and put an U-20 team in the league as well. 

I know this strays away from the topic of CPL U-20 teams, but where does the PCSL fit into the BC pyramid? Do their teams enter the BC Cup in order to try and qualify for the Challenge Cup? If not, why not? 

Thanks!

On 6/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, Obinna said:

Oh wow, that's fantastic to hear! Seems like there's a good skeleton in place to build a semi-pro regional D3 league upon (just like in Alberta).

Cool that the Highlanders have their reserve team in the league, maybe Pacific could follow suit and put an U-20 team in the league as well. 

I know this strays away from the topic of CPL U-20 teams, but where does the PCSL fit into the BC pyramid? Do their teams enter the BC Cup in order to try and qualify for the Challenge Cup? If not, why not? 

Thanks!

I just received a reply to my inquiry with the PCSL. It seems two teams backed out of the women's league prior to (re)launch, so they shelved it for another year.

The PCSL does not currently participate in the BC Cup (though I'm not sure why). @ted would have better knowledge in this area than I.

According to the BC Soccer website, last year's BC Cup participating leagues included:

Vancouver Metro Soccer League - www.vmslsoccer.com
Fraser Valley Soccer League - www.fraservalleysoccer.com/index.php
Vancouver Island Soccer League - www.visl.org
Burnaby Men's Soccer League - www.bmsasoccer.com
Richmond Adult Soccer Association - www.rasasoccer.ca
North Shore Coaches League - www.nscl.ca

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

The PCSL does not currently participate in the BC Cup (though I'm not sure why). @ted would have better knowledge in this area than I.

Because the PCSL is always second-fiddle to teams in other leagues. Their players are all on teams in the other leagues mentioned or college teams. As well, the PCSL is strictly a summer league, they are not playing when the competition is taking place.

18 hours ago, ted said:

Because the PCSL is always second-fiddle to teams in other leagues. Their players are all on teams in the other leagues mentioned or college teams. As well, the PCSL is strictly a summer league, they are not playing when the competition is taking place.

Excuse my BC soccer ignorance. What does this mean? Are the leagues Rintaran listed considered a higher level? I've always gotten the impression that PCSL is the highest level local league (obviously not counting MLS, USL, PDL as local).

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ted said:

This was my suspicion.

Ironically, every other province plays in summer like the PCSL does. As far as I know, BC is the only province that plays on a European calendar (since they have the climate to pull it off). Every other province crowns their champion in late summer/early fall, which is probably why nationals take place in October, but BC is unique (if not out-of-sync) because they crown their champion in spring. The summer season is thus rendered to be of little importance (at least it seems that way from the outside looking in).

@Kent I am sure Ted could elaborate further and/or clarify for us, but I think that's basically why PCSL plays "second-fiddle". It's not for a lack of talent, it is just how soccer is structured in British Columbia.

In fact, (Correct me if I am wrong Ted) I think there are players who play PCSL in the summer and then go and back to play with their VMSL team from fall to spring.

Edited by Obinna

^That's right. Summer soccer in BC is just a way to stay in shape for the real season, which runs from September through March/April.

Yah i think I'll just re iterate that.. summer soccer in BC is like show up 10mins before the game in flip flops, lay around after drinking beers. The serious club play is in winter. I feel like they're trying to align PCSL with the rest of the country and things could change but only a few years ago PCSL was an excuse for a weekend of drinking in the Okanagan

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Excuse my BC soccer ignorance. What does this mean? Are the leagues Rintaran listed considered a higher level? I've always gotten the impression that PCSL is the highest level local league (obviously not counting MLS, USL, PDL as local).

In the past the PCSL tried to say they were the highest league. They recruited from those other leagues, added in some Varsity players from CIS and NCAA schools.

But as other have said, it is mostly a way for players to stay in shape waiting for the real season to start. 

I still think it could be turned into a real D3 for BC, but it would take a total house-cleaning of the league management and some serious investment.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

@Kent I am sure Ted could elaborate further and/or clarify for us, but I think that's basically why PCSL plays "second-fiddle". It's not for a lack of talent, it is just how soccer is structured in British Columbia.

In fact, (Correct me if I am wrong Ted) I think there are players who play PCSL in the summer and then go and back to play with their VMSL team from fall to spring.

Exactly. It's mostly the same talent. Back when Victoria United played in the league, they would collect all the best players from VISL together with Varsity players from UVic and Victoria natives on NCAA teams home for the summer. The entire league schedule was basically set up to be between May and the Provincial Cup Finals (which some of the players were in on different teams) and the start of NCAA training camps in August.