Canadians abroad: April 5-11, 2019

DJT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Brault-Guillard..didnt play pro in France but right away its clear hes a step above so many Canadians brought up here who unfortunately are not good enough defensively at mls level and bring little offensively

The thing about ZGB is that some people just seem to want to look at the fact he played on a reserve team in the 4th division of France and base their opinions on that. If you forget all that and actually analyze who he is as a player, you have to rate him ahead of Godinho in my opinion.  

I like Godinho a lot and he's doing really well to keep getting opportunities with a good Hearts side, but just judging the attributes of both, I really think Zachary has the higher ceiling.

He's faster than Godinho and he's as good as Godinho with the ball at his feet, perhaps better (but that's debatable, granted). The speed advantage is definitely not debatable though. You can really see how he just bursts past players. Godinho doesn't do that, which makes ZGB a more dynamic fullback. A better one at this stage of both of their young careers, if you ask me.

I like both players and the future for Canada is bright at right back, but everytime I watch this kid I understand why Herdman picks him.

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

Brault-Guillard..didnt play pro in France but right away its clear hes a step above so many Canadians brought up here who unfortunately are not good enough defensively at mls level and bring little offensively

This is your take on a game with 6 young Canadian starters all of whom played well and of which only 2 spent significant time in Europe? My take on this is while Europe is still a good choice for young players to train, we are finally starting to do a good job in giving the proper training to many young players who are staying in Canada for their youth career.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:30 PM, shamrock said:

Second consecutive start for Rocco Romeo. 

Played the entire game which ended in 0-0. Great to see him getting starts and by the looks of it doing well. 

11 hours ago, jordan said:

Scotland

Harry Paton is on the Ross County bench for today's match with Dunfermline

Zanatta starts against Greenock Morton

Zanatta played the whole game and it was a big one. 1-2 win at Dunfermline brings them in a safe spot in the Championship. 

Paton stayed on the bench (1-0 victory, they stay on top). 

13 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

Six Canadians starting for Montreal tonight in DC!

Choiniere

Jackson-Hamel

Bayiha

Piette

Shome

ZBG

It's just this mid-week game though. Still nice that Garde sends them out, but rest asure he'll go back to his regular starting 11 this weekend. Just hope one or two of these kids impressed enough to get some more minutes during the rest of the season. 

31 minutes ago, shamrock said:

It's just this mid-week game though. Still nice that Garde sends them out, but rest asure he'll go back to his regular starting 11 this weekend. Just hope one or two of these kids impressed enough to get some more minutes during the rest of the season. 

Piette and ZBG were very good I thought.

AJH was very disappointing and the rest were just generally OK IMO

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Adekugbe went 90 for Valerenga in a 4-1 loss to leaders Molde.  How does the Norwegian top league compare to MLS?

In terms of quality, I believe they were pretty much on par until the TAM era. Now, I would give an advantage to MLS, though not a large one. 

Valerenga is historically a top 5 club in Norway. They have won the league a few times.

Their first choice keeper was the Portland Timbers No. 1 a few years ago. Juarez is the right back, former Mexican international who also has a link to Cascadia via the Whitecaps. Abu use to play for Columbus Crew a season or two ago, and then there's Adekugbe, the regular left back.

Interesting to see the MLS connection with that club in particular. They would probably be a bottom half MLS team now-a-days, but could probably compete at least.

Opinion based more on where players have played than actually watching the games or highlights. Definitely not a regular watcher of Norwegian football.

Archived