Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Canada v. England - Friday April 5

Posted (edited)

England Women v Canada: SOLD OUT
7.15pm, Friday 5 April 2019
The Academy Stadium, Manchester City FC

Tickets are priced at £1 for concessions and £10 for adults (£7.50 for ‘early bird’ offer)  

Tickets for Canada v Mexico women at BMO are $125, &74, $50, $35, $20 (end zone) plus a healthy Ticketmaster surcharge and plus taxes.

The best seat for any Lionesses game bought ahead of time is about 7 pounds .  A good seat for Canada at BMO bought ahead of time is $60.50.  With concessions for a family of two kids with dogs and drinks thrown in that is 34 pounds there and 300 dollars here.

England play Spain four days later in Swindon, and then shortly before the WWC they play Denmark at Walsall and NZ in Brighton at the Amex.

All England matches are on BBC.  Denmark and NZ on BBC One, Spain on BBC Two, and Canada on BBC Four.

Kickoff times in Canada:

• 11:15am Pacific
  • 12:15pm Mountain
  • 1:15pm Central
  • 2:15pm Eastern
  • 3:15pm Atlantic
  • 3:45pm Newfoundland
Edited by Vic

8 hours ago, sting said:

Is the CSA having a stream of the game?

I was just coming here to ask the same thing.  I guess I will @ them on twitter

18 minutes ago, BreadBoy said:

Looks like TSN 3 is broadcasting the game at 4:30pm EST

They also said on Twitter live at 2PM EST on TSN2 but the TSN website does not say it.

Good game from Canada. Great defensive shape. Even carved out a couple good offensive opportunities. Glad to see them get a result against a top side in the world.

Canada still needs to work on quick passing. Its getting better, but still not good enoigh. To many poor passes and bad touches. 

Seemed Riviere was an upgrade on Chapman who often seems a tackle away from disaster. Bit scary that Buchanan pretty much deserved a red in the last minute. Otherwise, not a bad victory.

Got away with one there in the final minute. Nothing especially inspiring, looked like both teams played their lineups from years ago.  Don't think I'll be rewatching this one.

It seemed to be a tale of two halves.  The commentators mentioned the wind, and I wonder if that was the difference.  So many of Canada's long passes veered off target in the second half.

They seemed much improved from Algaerve to me.  Much better possession play.  Finishing still needs work and way too much just dumping the ball without finesse. 

I'm hoping Riviere gets a shot at starting and they move Lawrence up in the next match. Lawrence was invisible and too much of an asset to waste.  I remain less than thrilled with Schmidt or Prince as starters and feel others should be tried.  Would have rather seen someone else come on than Rose.  If Huitema was there, she should have played some minutes.

Anyone know why Matheson and Quinn weren't on the  roster?

42 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

5 minutes injury time?  Seriously?

I really don't care if they score three on us in that time, if Sinc can get one more.....  ;)

Much better than Algarve. We rarely beat a team ranked higher than us, so this was also a step forward. 

But still finding it hard to create good opportunities. Very little action in the final third. At least this time, they took a couple of good shots - one which led to the goal. 

Defensively Canada continues to look quite good. So, if they play a quarter or semi like this, I can see a pathway to advancing which I didn't see post Algarve. England looked dangerous quite often on attack in the SheBelieves Cup while I didn't see the same pace and incisive passing from them in this match, which in some part is due to Canada's defensive organization.

If it was in the WC, Lawrence would have likely switched with Chapman to deal with Parris and/or Chapman subbed out at the half. Buchanan was named player of the match. SZ also was solid. Riviere looks to be a heir apparent. 

I believe Matheson & Quinn were injured. Rose hasn't seen much action recently which is likely why she got some minutes. I hope though some of the others get some playing time against Nigeria on Monday.

It was too bad Leon is injured, I believe she could do damage up front.

Schmidt seems to make too many bad passes for my liking.

12 hours ago, red card said:

Much better than Algarve. We rarely beat a team ranked higher than us, so this was also a step forward. 

But still finding it hard to create good opportunities. Very little action in the final third. At least this time, they took a couple of good shots - one which led to the goal. 

Defensively Canada continues to look quite good. So, if they play a quarter or semi like this, I can see a pathway to advancing which I didn't see post Algarve. England looked dangerous quite often on attack in the SheBelieves Cup while I didn't see the same pace and incisive passing from them in this match, which in some part is due to Canada's defensive organization.

If it was in the WC, Lawrence would have likely switched with Chapman to deal with Parris and/or Chapman subbed out at the half. Buchanan was named player of the match. SZ also was solid. Riviere looks to be a heir apparent. 

I believe Matheson & Quinn were injured. Rose hasn't seen much action recently which is likely why she got some minutes. I hope though some of the others get some playing time against Nigeria on Monday.

Thanks for the info on Matheson and Quinn.  They have more options with lineups with those two players.  It feels like maybe the WWC plan could be to use Lawrence at FB against higher ranked teams.  But I'd strongly advocate her playing midfield against weaker opponents to make sure there is more offense.  Goal differential is important and right now we're looking to win or lose 1-0.

Hopefully against Nigeria, Riviere plays the whole match at FB and Lawrence plays up.  They need to find other options they're confident with on defense.  An injury would be killer for them.

4 hours ago, mtlfan said:

It was too bad Leon is injured, I believe she could do damage up front.

Schmidt seems to make too many bad passes for my liking.

I'm not sure I missed it but is Quinn hurt as well?

14 hours ago, red card said:

I haven't looked lately but I believe England are ranked ahead of us.  Personally, I've never thought they were very good and yesterday didn't change my perception, especially when they field the same lineup we've seen for years.  But then again so did we a bit, and experience aside I think a few on our side should have their swan song.