Jump to content
hamiltonfan

CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The poor geography knowledge in here is terrible!  Everyone knows that Toronto is the center of canada.  Universe

Fixed your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The poor geography knowledge in here is terrible!  Everyone knows that Toronto is the center of canada.  

Pffft, you are all "back East" from where I'm sitting. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

Also doesn’t like 80% of Ontario live close to the Quebec border.

What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

 

Toronto is nowhere near central Canada. Sure thunder bay is but I’m not talking about there I’m talking about Toronto.

If one divides Canada into Eastern and Western, then Ontario is normally the most western province in Eastern Canada ... but it's certainly not East Coast.

I've never seen a definition of Central Canada though that ever leaves out Ontario though! Heck ... before the changed the name to Ontario, it was called Canada West!

Heck, this one even includes Quebec! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Canada

On 6/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

Also doesn’t like 80% of Ontario live close to the Quebec border.

No where near ... Ottawa is near the Quebec border. In a stretch one could say that North Bay and Cornwall are near the border. But that's what ... 1 million, maybe 1.1 million of Ontario's  14.5 million population?

Most are no where near Quebec, with about 9.5 million in Greater Golden Horseshoe area around Toronto - and many are even further west away from Quebec.

Unless you define 400 km as close. But if you do that, not only do most Albertans near live the British Columbia border, they also live near the Saskatchewan border! :)

I'm really surprised at the geographical comprehension here ... there's about the same number of Canadians living in provinces east of Ontario as provinces west of Ontario. As much as some try and claim that Torontonians don't really understand the rest of the country, it's pretty clear that some don't understand Eastern Canada!

 

Edited by nfitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, nfitz said:

If one divides Canada into Eastern and Western, then Ontario is normally the most western province in Eastern Canada ... but it's certainly not East Coast.

I've never seen a definition of Central Canada though that ever leaves out Ontario though!

Heck, this one even includes Quebec! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Canada

No where near ... Ottawa is near the Quebec border. In a stretch one could say that North Bay and Cornwall are near the border. But that's what ... 1 million, maybe 1.1 million of Ontario's  14.5 million population?

Most are no where near Quebec, with about 9.5 million in Greater Golden Horseshoe area around Toronto - and many are even further west away from Quebec.

Unless you define 400 km as close. But if you do that, not only do most Albertans near live the Quebec border, they also live near the Saskatchewan border! :)

I'm really surprised at the geographical comprehension here ... there's about the same number of Canadians living in provinces east of Ontario as provinces west of Ontario. As much as some try and claim that Torontonians don't really understand the rest of the country, it's pretty clear that some don't understand Eastern Canada!

 

I mean Eastern Canada also consists of Ontario and Quebec according to the wikipedia page. Now you're right I made the mistake of calling Toronto/Montreal "east coast" but that wasn't due to lack of geographical knowledge but me just not thinking my post completely through.I know the maritimes and Atlantic Canada exist and that Toronto and Montreal are nowhere close I just misspoke by  calling it "east coast," and now I'm apparently the representative of bad geographical knowledge on this board. I would also define 400km as relatively close as it is only a 4-5 hour drive. As for Alberta's two biggest cities I'd definitely consider them near the Saskatchewan border but not to sure about Quebec 😄. 5 million (2.6 if you're going to say not the GTA) don't understand the rest of Canada vs me who messed up on terms for describing eastern/"central" Canada once I guess. 

Edited by SkuseisLoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RS said:

What?

Well..........

It is 20hrs to the Manitoba border and 4 to Quebec.... so.... 

😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I mean Eastern Canada also consists of Ontario and Quebec according to the wikipedia page

I don't think anyone has argued against if Canada is divided into a simple East and west, than Ontario wouldn't be East. I don't know how that makes Ontario not part of Central Canada though ... the Wikipedia page for Western Canada goes to the Ontario border ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Canada

Ah Wikipedia - the encyclopedia anyone can edit.

 

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

 I would also define 400km as relatively close as it is only a 4-5 hour drive. As for Alberta's two biggest cities I'd definitely consider them near the Saskatchewan border but ...

Hang on ... 4-5 hour is close? So Edmonton and  Calgary, are close to both Saskatchewan AND British Columbia?

No - most of Ontarians don't live close to Quebec. And Central Canada includes Ontario. 

 

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

(2.6 if you're going to say not the GTA)

???

The East Coast hasn't had a match in years ... As I said a long time ago, I'd like to see more matches there, and less in Central Canada and the West Coast.

Edited by nfitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I will be very surprised if any games go to anywhere other than Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal.  There isn't enough games to share past those three cities, those are the easiest places to get to and from to points in Europe, and in North America.

The fact is that most cities in Canada deserve a game.  It just isn't going to happen, especially now that we've started drawing well in the big cities.

Edited by RJB
more thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RJB said:

I will be very surprised if any games go to anywhere other than Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal.

I'd be surprised if it went anywhere other than Vancouver or Toronto. I think that needs to change.

I assume that Edmonton will see games in the next few years with Canada scheduled to play a World Cup game there. But there's no reason they shouldn't be playing on other grass pitches, such as Calgary and Halifax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I’ve ****** up this thread so I’ll apoligize but I stick by Ontario not being “central”, even the Wikipedia article says so. Anyways I doubt Vancouver will get either game as much as I want them to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RJB said:

I will be very surprised if any games go to anywhere other than Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal.  There isn't enough games to share past those three cities, those are the easiest places to get to and from to points in Europe, and in North America.

The fact is that most cities in Canada deserve a game.  It just isn't going to happen, especially now that we've started drawing well in the big cities.

You are almost certainly right but the fact is that Winnipeg actually IS almost exactly the geographical centre of Canada and IG Field is a very nice venue for watching football. One downside is that attendance for MNT in the past has been mediocre (without looking it up, in the 6-8 thousand range) in Winnipeg but with professional football now here, I think that would improve. And are Cuba really going to pull much bigger numbers elsewhere?

The other downside, depending on your perspective, is that we seem to be very well positioned for US support. Could be another away game at home if we play them here instead of Cuba but would certainly be a bigger crowd.

Would also be a very nice reward for the one CPL stadium in this discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Well I’ve ****** up this thread so I’ll apoligize but I stick by Ontario not being “central”, even the Wikipedia article says so. Anyways I doubt Vancouver will get either game as much as I want them to.

For gawd's sake, STOP DIGGING!

diggingahole.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'd be surprised if it went anywhere other than Vancouver or Toronto. I think that needs to change.

I assume that Edmonton will see games in the next few years with Canada scheduled to play a World Cup game there. But there's no reason they shouldn't be playing on other grass pitches, such as Calgary and Halifax.

HFX & Calgary need more than grass pitches to be worthy of the senior national team. Do they even have proper dressing rooms, stands on all sides, proper washrooms, concessions, video scoreboard etc.. Plus, both grass pitches need upgrades and better groundskeeping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lofty said:

You are almost certainly right but the fact is that Winnipeg actually IS almost exactly the geographical centre of Canada and IG Field is a very nice venue for watching football

If they are willing to play in BC Place, then Winnipeg should indeed get more games - along with other cities like Regina, St. John's, and Moncton.

But there's no way that somewhere not that far from the US border is the geographic centre of Canada. The east-west midpoint only gets that far west because of how far west the Yukon extends. If you include the territories the geographic centre is in southern Nunavut! https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/revealed-the-true-centre-of-canada/article562901/

In the south (where most live), Winnipeg is a lot closer to Victoria, than it is to Halifax - let alone St. John's! There does seem to be a consistent trend on western posters to no appreciate how much of Canada (about half the remaining population) is east of Ontario!

Though if we use the population centre, it's somewhere in the GTA - Richmond Hill according to this old paper. It's probably shifted a bit further west - Probably not too far from York 9's proposed pitch near King City I'd wager ... I propose that Canada not play there!

Edited by nfitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, nfitz said:

If they are willing to play in BC Place, then Winnipeg should indeed get more games - along with other cities like Regina, St. John's, and Moncton.

But there's no way that somewhere not that far from the US border is the geographic centre of Canada. The east-west midpoint only gets that far west because of how far west the Yukon extends. If you include the territories the geographic centre is in southern Nunavut! https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/revealed-the-true-centre-of-canada/article562901/

In the south (where most live), Winnipeg is a lot closer to Victoria, than it is to Halifax - let alone St. John's! There does seem to be a consistent trend on western posters to no appreciate how much of Canada (about half the remaining population) is east of Ontario!

Though if we use the population centre, it's somewhere in the GTA - Richmond Hill according to this old paper. It's probably shifted a bit further west - Probably not too far from York 9's proposed pitch near King City I'd wager ... I propose that Canada not play there!

Most traffic in Canada travels in an east-west or west-east direction therefore the logical choice for a centre of Canada discussion would be the halfway point between Victoria,BC and St.John's, Newfoundland which is roughly Nipigon just west of Thunder Bay. Unless your willing to play in T-Bay Winnipeg is obviously the closest viable location. Why anyone would look at the 'geographical centre' of Canada is beyond me since since it naturally will be in the middle of nowhere and 90% of our population lives near the US anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Most traffic in Canada travels in an east-west or west-east direction therefore the logical choice for a centre of Canada discussion would be the halfway point between Victoria,BC and St.John's, Newfoundland which is roughly Nipigon just west of Thunder Bay. Unless your willing to play in T-Bay Winnipeg is obviously the closest viable location. Why anyone would look at the 'geographical centre' of Canada is beyond me since since it naturally will be in the middle of nowhere and 90% of our population lives near the US anyways.

A few years back the new bridge in Nipigon had some structural failure effectively cutting the country in half:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipigon_River_Bridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to drag this down but if you were to split the country such that half the population is to the west and half the population is to the right, I'm pretty sure you would be pretty darn close to BMO field =p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Not to drag this down but if you were to split the country such that half the population is to the west and half the population is to the right, I'm pretty sure you would be pretty darn close to BMO field =p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_population#Canada very close. But as it is moving west at 2 metres a day it will be in vancouver in 4608 years so we should plan ahead and  just play in Vancouver from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...