Canada vs Mexico - WWC Send off party - May 18th 1pm

Admin

3 hours ago, RickC said:

Two other thoughts: my wife says O Canada was played at too low a pitch (I never argue with her about anything to do with music); and, what a lame chant, clapping thing they tried to get people to do right before kickoff. I hope that is not tried again. 

Was that clapping thing a Nike initiative or something?

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

Yep.  I'm pretty sure that was a Nike initiative.  Curious how that all played out in the stadium.  Anyone at BMO with feedback? 

At the game, had an excellent time.

Thought the atmosphere was great, very professional performance, we played with tons on confidence, shape and fluidity, along with very strong and confident defending.

A few minor things to tidy up, but the squad is in excellent form which shows from our undefeated 2019 record 6-0-2 and only conceeding 1 goal. 

Many players impressed, not one player had a poor game in my eyes. I was especially impressed with Lawrence and her ability to play both as a RB & LB along with her overall coverage of the field.

7 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Yes, I think it was. Along with the big Nike banner brought out to midfield with another slogan on it. I know, accepting advertising helps pay the bills, but having players stand in their positions, waiting to start the match, as a Nike attempt to start a new "go Canada" chant is on the big screen is awful. I didn't see many people start following the chant and nobody was paying attention near the end of it (section 221). In the CPL forum there are comments about starting the games on time, or in one (?) case even a minute early. But, starting seven minutes late isn't great either.

I admit to not following the women's team as closely, but noticed Schmidt drop back to play center back after a substitution. Does she often play there as well as midfield?

Full audio of the post game press conferences: Mexico head coach Christopher Cuellar and goalie Cecilia Santiago, then Canada with head coach Kenneth Heiner-Moller and forward Christine Sinclair, then hallway interviews with Janine Beckie, Shelina Zadorsky, Jessie Fleming, Stephanie Labbe, Desiree Scott, Adriana Leon, and Nichelle Prince. 

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19cana02.htm  

Good to see KHM is continuing to evolve the team - now playing more through the middle and taking good shots outside the box. This transition has probably contributed to the goals drying up in the past year.

But compared to Herdman, KHM is a bit more staid in his player selection. So, it is a blessing in disguise, he can't pick Matheson as having her, Sinclair, Scott & Schmidt lends to stale play. Schmidt & Scott shouldn't be starting together against weak teams like Mexico. Better to give longer run outs to Huitema, Grosso, Leon and/or Rose. Disappointed Hellstrom wasn't picked for the squad.

KHM must really like Schmidt's intangibles as when he puts in Grosso, Schmidt has started to be slotted in the back line. I think this is probably a better position for her now. Her box-to-box midfield days are over - though I get nervous watching her clear the ball as she is prone to wild miskicks.

So I hope Canada soccer learned that maybe if you are going to try to start a new chant/song maybe 1) Actually provide rhythm to said chant/song 2) Don't hand out the cards for said song after you've played it 3) Come up with something a bit better then you won't be 'stooped'.

Anyways, good to see everyone who made it out, great to see Sinclair make one more step towards the record.

Edited by -Hammer-