Canada vs French Guiana Match Thread

mpg_29

Regarding Osorio, let's not start with the attitude problem BS on here again. He's been a consistent starter for JH every game, for a year now, JH likes him and plays him bc Oso is a professional in every sense.

Osorio plays hard every single time and wants to be a difference maker.  

Osorio is just extremely hard on himself because he wants to do well so badly. That's it. Read nothing more into his reaction to the sub. It happens in Toronto from time to time. No big deal. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the game itself, in general we did not play as a team. We are far from a cohesive unit. Players were getting in eachothers way at times.  We had good moments of ball movement but there's no system or identity there yet.

Compared to how well we were clicking against FG in 2017, we have dropped form bigtime.  

We generally raise our game against bigger teams, so I'm not too worried, but I'd have expected us to be further along by now. It looked like our first game with a new manager.

6 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Fixed it. (But you knew I meant Mexico anyways, no?)

Sorry I thought it was clear I was joking. I was just doing my best to crowbar any names of the Americans in as I could, as you had seemingly accidentally named them twice in your post. 

6 hours ago, nolando said:

Similar experience with my six and nine-year-olds today in the stadium. To brush by Davies and Borjan, to watch a lot of fun and creative soccer on display, to celebrate NUMEROUS goals in their home city was just amazing. And then, at the very end in another moment of brilliance from Zach, he calls Atiba, the last man left on the pitch, to come and address the fans. He hopped the rail, and sat down with us, leading cheers with the megaphone, giving hi-fives to the kids, thanking people very genuinely...all with us (my boys and I and a couple hundred of our closest friends) crouched down like kids waiting to hear from Santa. 

I've had some pretty incredible experiences as a fan of soccer in this country, from legendary match days, training briefly as a coach under Tony Waiters, to having Carl Valentine as a guest in my own classroom, to having the Caps open their locker-room to allow my students to interview them....but this was something different, something to be treasured.

Feeling pretty grateful for everything this weekend as a proud V.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UncleDall/status/1109973289646972928

Magic. Hopefully we all have many more experiences like this. 

12 hours ago, spitfire said:

-----------[deleted comments as per spitfire request]------------

A team can never be about one player, and a coach can never put an individual's considerations over the teams. You of course understand that 100%. A coach has a lot of interests before him, the group dynamic, and things he has to prioritise--but hey, Liam probably learnt all that when he was 15.

I am sure you know well enough that making statements like the above, which suggest Liam could have a similar frustration, is not benefitial to him. He has an agent, he speaks to the coaching staff and to Herdman, he has to deal with it all that way, never airing in public. 

I understand this is very hard, being personally frustrated. Plenty of other fans will express similar ideas to you, but we are free to. You are really not, at least should just take a breather and count to about 10 minutes before posting, just so it does not reflect on Liam and his professionalism. 

Sorry if this is a bit harsh, but we all want the best for him and are thrilled for him, so airing grievances should always be done in the 1 to 1 with Herdman and his assistants. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry if this is a bit harsh, but we all want the best for him and are thrilled for him, so airing grievances should always be done in the 1 to 1 with Herdman and his assistants. 

I have deleted all my comments in this thread and would appreciate if anyone who  quoted me would too.

I Will take a step back from this site for a little while...

19 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I have deleted all my comments in this thread and would appreciate if anyone who  quoted me would too.

Please don’t stop your contributions to here, your updates on Liam have been a bright light on this forum and you must surely see that by the huge number of likes and positive feedback you get from your posts! Carl 

I actually think we didn't play that great overall. We won because the opponent was not that strong but against a top 5 Concacaf team? I am not so sure.

The big difference for me is we have some individual players (particularly forwards) who can finish when given the opportunity which is something we have been lacking for a while. But if we were playing a stronger opponent we'd have to up our game a considerable bit.

I can't tell if this is just a case of playing to the level of your opponent or not...hopefully it is.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I actually think we didn't play that great overall. We won because the opponent was not that strong but against a top 5 Concacaf team? I am not so sure.

The big difference for me is we have some individual players (particularly forwards) who can finish when given the opportunity which is something we have been lacking for a while. But if we were playing a stronger opponent we'd have to up our game a considerable bit.

I can't tell if this is just a case of playing to the level of your opponent or not...hopefully it is.

I don’t think we played great, I attribute that to lack of matches together against an opponent who were being allowed to play a dangerous physical style on an awful artificial surface! I am looking forward to playing a quality opponent soon to see where we really are as a squad, that will come soon enough now that we are officially qualified for the Gold Cup!

I thought we showed some real promise overall. I like the fact that we won 4-1 on what was a mediocre showing. All teams will have struggles, what matters is peaking at the right time. For example, look at Croatia, they obviously peaked at the right time in the world Cup. Assuming we get a couple friendlies before the gold Cup I could see this team really developing chemistry and getting on a role. They played much better in this game than their last 2 games, so you can see the upward trend.

15 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I and I think most others here would be disappointed if you stopped posting here. On the other hand we have had other family members of players post from time to time and as a family member one needs to be careful not to post too much information about things or to post opinions that could hurt the player. Some family members have been better about that than others. Also family members are usually very biased in their opinions which is understandable but again not always helpful to the player. As much as we love to have as much inside information and opinion as possible sometimes it is best not to post those things in public. 

I hope you will keep posting here and your posts are much appreciated but maybe it is better not to post in the heat of the moment and to think carefully about what you post beforehand to avoid posting information or opinions that should be kept private. 

Hear, hear. +1

Appreciate your updates, Spitfire, and in my experience you’ve been  99% bang on for appropriateness given your situation. Dads gonna be dads and we all slip up once in a while. Don’t let it dissuade you from being part of a group that wants only the best for Liam and the best for the MNT. 

Please don't go, Spitfire! I don't envy you this challenge, but as dads still figuring out this parenting thing I think we need to remember there is no parenting manual that applies to all situations, so we have to forgive ourselves if we don't always get things 100% right. As my dad used to tell me: keep your pecker up, son! This was but one game on your journey. 

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

I have but I really hope you keep posting here, you are without a doubt the favourite here!

Everyone posting just has yours and Liam's back here - that's all.  There may be eyes on here that don't.

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Regarding Osorio, let's not start with the attitude problem BS on here again. He's been a consistent starter for JH every game, for a year now, JH likes him and plays him bc Oso is a professional in every sense.

Osorio is just extremely hard on himself because he wants to do well so badly. That's it. Read nothing more into his reaction to the sub. It happens in Toronto from time to time. No big deal. 

He may be a consistent starter, play hard and be hard on himself but if he has an attitude he has an attitude.  These things aren't mutually exclusive.  

His body language was horrible on the sub in a game we were up 4-1.  People are alleging he walked down the tunnel and had a tantrum until someone from the staff went and got him to sit back on the bench.  Then I read comments saying he wasn't celebrating with the squad after the victory.   To me that isn't cool.  Throwing a tantrum when your team is WINNING 4-1 is toxic.  It helps no one.

If those allegations are true, let's call it like it is.  He's not Cristiano Ronaldo.

I agree he should, ideally, cut out those antics, but we cannot sit here and speculate on the meaning of his behaviour. We can't say he was upset about being subbed off, or that he's upset with Herdman or he's not a team player.

Players with attitude problems or players who can't control their emotions tend not to stick with one club for very long. They play selfishly on the pitch. They take on stupid yellow and red cards. They make foolish comments in social media and to the the press. 

Osorio is none of these things. He's just passionate. If he wasn't a player, he'd be going nuts in the Vs section with us. Like us, he takes the game way too seriously, and if he shows it post game, who cares? His team mates and coach seem to understand him and have his back. We should too.

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Gimme a break dude. At least we've reached the point in this country like in other soccer nations people can be insanely biased towards a player on the national team because they play for the team they support. I saw the weirdest formation predictions ive ever seen leadkng up to the game and the longer you looked at them you realized people we're trying their hardest to accommodate Osorio. Nobody rates this guy like you guys do and he's shown a pettern of not being a team guy. He should have just been happy Arfield got hurt because if not he wouldnt even have got in the game, let alone start

And futhermore.. im not sure ive seen such seagulling in Vancouver since Pavel Bure. He stands so far up the pitch, thank god for Jonathan David because in the first half when the buildup was slow he dropped way deep to collect the ball because there was such a gap between Piette Hutch and the front line 

A lot of the people (especially on Twitter) who are attacking Oso seem to already be anti-Oso, of which he has a lot of, so all these attacks on his character isn't surprising. If he scored a goal they'd probably complain he didn't celebrate hard enough.

Just now, SpursFlu said:

Gimme a break dude. At least we've reached the point in this country like in other soccer nations people can be insanely biased towards a player on the national team because they play for the team they support. I saw the weirdest formation predictions ive ever seen leadkng up to the game and the longer you looked at them you realized people we're trying their hardest to accommodate Osorio. Nobody rates this guy like you guys do and he's shown a pettern of not being a team guy. He should have just been happy Arfield got hurt because if not he wouldnt even have got in the game, let alone start

Our starting 3 in MF when everyone is healthy is Oso-Hutch-Arfield. An Argument can be made for Kaye especially coming up soon but for now that's what Herdman seems to be trending towards. This insinuation that he has nothing to offer Canada is flat-out wrong.

7 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Our starting 3 in MF when everyone is healthy is Oso-Hutch-Arfield. An Argument can be made for Kaye especially coming up soon but for now that's what Herdman seems to be trending towards. This insinuation that he has nothing to offer Canada is flat-out wrong.

Never said he had nothing to offer. Im saying with everyone healthy no way he's in our starting lineup. No matter how much tfc fans wish it to be true. 

His entire gameplan is to stand as far away from the play as possible so he can get the ball in space. He's good when he gets it but im not sure that helps us on a whole

I watched the match in the company of a TFC fan who bitched about almost everything  Osorio did which was way off base, I thought he played quite well as he usually does with his club team! Even a break out year being arguably TFC’s most consistent performer and winning the CCL Golden Boot hasn’t stopped the haterz who populate the stands at BMO!

For the record, maybe hating on Jonathan Osorio is a thing in Toronto or whatever. I dont give the guy a second of my thoughts until i come on here and people are acting like he's the second coming. I like him, im glad to have him as Canadian soccer fan. He's just not all that to be acting like everyone owes him something. Maybe that's what he needs to get out of bed in the morning. Fine, the me against the world approach is a great way to over achieve in life but at a certain point you need to give it a rest

24 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Never said he had nothing to offer. Im saying with everyone healthy no way he's in our starting lineup. No matter how much tfc fans wish it to be true.

I believe Osorio has started every game under Herdman so there isn't a lot of "wishing" that has to be done (by TFC fans or otherwise) to think that there is no possible way that Osorio will start in the remaining time that we have left with Atiba on the team if everyone else is also healthy. Whether non-TFC fans agree, Herdman seems to hold Osorio in high regard and seemingly was still doing so post-match given his comments here:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/coach-herdman-happy-with-canada-s-performance-against-french-guiana~1643408

Sometimes players who play with a high degree of passion and an edge can dislike getting pulled out of a match, even when they are winning by a large margin (a certain diminutive Italian and former teammate of Osorio at the club level did the same every now and then as well). It's a double-edged sword, because I don't like to see players do that kind of stuff but sometimes it comes with the territory that helps their positive attributes. I'd like to see that kind of passion from Cyle Larin, for example, because we can use more of that with him. Then again, I recognize that players don'tall  have the same kind of personality. At the end of the day, as long as he didn't mouth-off to the coaches, I'm sure it's something that Herdman and his great inspirational & motivational powers can have a conversation with him about if they didn't care for the antics.

Just to be fair to Osorio, maybe he was upset with his own performance. (Seems unlikely, but we don't really know why he looked so pissy.) I tend to think he needs to grow up a bit more and become a proper professional but I will give him time to get there. But 100% Arfield wouldn't pull a hissy fit.

Archived