Canada vs French Guiana Match Thread

mpg_29

My favourite memory from tonight’s match was while watching it with my 5 year old son and he turned to me and said “I want to be a Canada player!”  

We sang Oh Canada together. Celebrated the goals together. And dreamed of him suiting up for Canada together in the future. This is why playing matches and having them televised is important. 

*ironically all done while wearing the Northern Ireland top my wife put him in earlier today to wind me up. Haha so proud. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Did people think Adekugbe did well?  I thought he was invisible compared to Kaye there and he failed to make an impression in his limited time.  As fresh legs he had some opportunities to overlap where he hung back and maybe that was the overall instruction but I thought he could have attempted to have a bigger impact on the match, rather than just fill in.

Agree, but hard to know exactly what was asked, didn't look out of place or make any mistakes.

The announcers said he is more known for his defensive  ability compared to offensive abilities from his time in England. 

Don't mind he got some minutes with it being out of season for him. 

Regardless, I thought MAK did great at LB and it's great we have both options/players.

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

Huh my prediction was right.

On a side note, did anyone else believe that French Guiana defender looked like Drake

yeah, i was thinking EXACTLY the same thing about your sage like fortune telling

AND YEAH, I WAS ALSO THINKING THE SAME EXACT THING ABOUT MANY OF THEIR PLAYERS!

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I think your frustration would be alleviated if we simply played TWO match windows.  Seriously, we should be playing in a couple days again and then we could have Liam play a full 90.  Limited to three subs in a one match window you're obviously left with frustrated players inevitably.  

As for the dilemma between club and country the simple fact of the matter is this: both are extreme honours and in both cases he's going to have to fight to get playing time.  The thing I'd caution is that your national team is forever and a club team isn't (necessarily).  The margins for future Canadian squads are going to be extremely tight in (possibly) 2022 and 2026 along with whatever other future tournaments we're in.  

Hopefully Liam can kick on and earn some starts to finish this season strong. 

This. I actually think bringing on Millar for Osorio (moving David into a more central midfield role) was the more logical sub rather than Millar for Cavallini as you need at least one target striker up top.

But for the Gold Cup it will not all come down to one match on whether one player plays or not. We will have at least 3 (if we don't have at least 4 IMO Herdman should lose the job), hopefully six.

6 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Liam is fully commit to the national team and the gold cup. and has told John this in his pregame meeting 

for the life of me don’t understand the substitution... especially after warming him up for 10 mins...

This is me being frustrated and thinking out of his pro career... 

sorry. 

Difficult spot though, eh. I hear you, but at the same time several guys traveled long distances and are battling for first team football. Larin included. I know it's frustrating, but these things happen. Liam will get his shot. And to be honest the time spent with the boys in camp and training are all more valuable than a ten minute stretch in a match that's already 4-1.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Im seeint people criticize Piette and Teibert. Both were very good. Piette had to deal with some big fellas jumping all over him. He got beat up the whole game abd kept ticking. Teiberts work rate might not show up on tv but his energy is off the charts. Keeps it simple but id be suprised if he wasnt close to 100% pass accuracy 

If he would have passed the ball faster he wouldn’t have had to deal with being mauled. He does well when he passes quickly, but he was a bit slow today.

I think some are piling on Piette due to his part played in the goal conceded, I agree with Spurs besides the balls up for their goal I thought he played well, he did rush some passes, in some cases I don't blame him as the opposition were getting away with some very aggressive physical play, he made some nice defensive break ups and started our attack with nice accurate passes!

I was surprised to get back from the game and see the ragging on Teibert; I won't pretend he lit it up but for me he was fine.

Piette wears the goal against in my book but worked like a Trojan to make up for it. All you can ask; everybody makes a mistake now and then.

Saw David less good than others. Cavallini beyond French Guiana's powers; man of the match.

30 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

I was surprised to get back from the game and see the ragging on Teibert; I won't pretend he lit it up but for me he was fine.

Piette wears the goal against in my book but worked like a Trojan to make up for it. All you can ask; everybody makes a mistake now and then.

Saw David less good than others. Cavallini beyond French Guiana's powers; man of the match.

I don't think anyone is ragging on his game, it's just his general selection and playing time.  We can only play 14 guys - for me personally I would not be giving minutes to Teibert as one of my 14 especially when he hasn't played a minute this season.  Fair play to him he was decent and also put in a nice cross vs. St. Kitts - I'd just rather see Tabla, Millar or someone else because you know what you're getting with Teibert and it's nothing special.  Even a debut for Liam Fraser, I rate him and the poor kid has been in 3 or 4 camps now with no cap.   

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

Liam is fully commit to the national team and the gold cup. and has told John this in his pregame meeting 

for the life of me don’t understand the substitution... especially after warming him up for 10 mins...

sorry. 

It was indeed a puzzler but I was more puzzled by the Teibert sub. Russ hasn't played a minute this year due to injury - odd to put him in the game. I would have subbed Liam on for Osorio and moved David to the central mid role. 

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

So not a great first review for MediaPro?  I was at the game and haven't had a chance to re-watch it yet.

I give them a thumbs up. So much better than the production everyone else has on oz

3 hours ago, maccaliam said:

You may not be confident about us getting results against the US and the Americans, but surely you can see we have a decent shot of getting a result against the Yanks and Team USA

Fixed it. (But you knew I meant Mexico anyways, no?)

3 hours ago, maccaliam said:

My favourite memory from tonight’s match was while watching it with my 5 year old son and he turned to me and said “I want to be a Canada player!”  

We sang Oh Canada together. Celebrated the goals together. And dreamed of him suiting up for Canada together in the future. This is why playing matches and having them televised is important. 

Similar experience with my six and nine-year-olds today in the stadium. To brush by Davies and Borjan, to watch a lot of fun and creative soccer on display, to celebrate NUMEROUS goals in their home city was just amazing. And then, at the very end in another moment of brilliance from Zach, he calls Atiba, the last man left on the pitch, to come and address the fans. He hopped the rail, and sat down with us, leading cheers with the megaphone, giving hi-fives to the kids, thanking people very genuinely...all with us (my boys and I and a couple hundred of our closest friends) crouched down like kids waiting to hear from Santa. 

I've had some pretty incredible experiences as a fan of soccer in this country, from legendary match days, training briefly as a coach under Tony Waiters, to having Carl Valentine as a guest in my own classroom, to having the Caps open their locker-room to allow my students to interview them....but this was something different, something to be treasured.

Feeling pretty grateful for everything this weekend as a proud V.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UncleDall/status/1109973289646972928

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

It was indeed a puzzler but I was more puzzled by the Teibert sub. Russ hasn't played a minute this year due to injury - odd to put him in the game. I would have subbed Liam on for Osorio and moved David to the central mid role. 

I'm guessing Russ got the call because the match was in front of his home crowd. Nothing more.

5 hours ago, spitfire said:

sorry. 

Playing for the MNT isn't a present. You should earn it. It should be a high objective to aim for. 

Posted my thoughts in the wrong thread, so:

Cavallini was MOTM for me. What a beast.

David a close runner-up. Such a smart, versatile player.

HM to Hoilett who was our most dangerous player in the 1st half (other than Borjan ?). He faded in the 2nd though.

Not sure why Teibert was subbed on. The guy has seen little to no action this season. He also lives in Vancouver... why not give a run out to a kid like Millar or even Tabla. Both have higher upside that Teibert and came from halfway across the world. That said, Teibert was fine and again showed he is a very capable sub.

Backline is scary = truth.

Atiba jumping in with the supporters at the end of the game was amazing. Much respect for him. Honestly, he's not the Atiba of old, but god damn would I love for him to retire from the National team on the heels of a Gold Cup victory!

Finally, great job by the Vs! And the stadium looked fairly full all things considered. Good job Vancity ?

ps- we need more games

Archived