Canada vs French Guiana Match Thread

mpg_29

Kaye, Hoilett and David were all great tonight I thought.  

Hutchinson was very average tonight.  

Cornelius needs to be replaced on the backline before we get into serious matches.  The naive plays out of the back came from everyone but particularly infuriating was when Henry decided to do a scoop pass in our box AFTER we had just conceded a goal messing around.  I think Henry is our best defender but he is just so idiotic at times it makes you wonder if it's even worth it.

What was with Osorio's little hissy fit on being subbed?  Although I didn't agree with Teibert coming in, I didn't like that.  As for Teibert.  A) Why is he even in the squad? B ) He hasn't even made the Vancouver bench but gets 30 minutes while others sit on the bench?  That's absurd.

We could and SHOULD have scored more goals in the second half.  Seriously we were completely weak, they were literally handing us chance after chance and we couldn't make it happen.  Everyone was guilty of sloppy play in the final third, even the aforementioned top players. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Yoginess said:

I'm not actually sold Hoilett is our best option. Technically very skilled and one of our best 11 in terms of quality but seems he can't connect as well with others in attack. Not to say he doesn't, had some good combos today.

You can see he becomes disinterested quickly, which means he probably should be subbed off at like 50 minutes.

3 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

French Guiana's goal was scored by Kevin Rimane, the PSG guy on loan in Croatia.

11' - Hoilett

26' - Rimane

39' - Cavallini

41' - David

50' - Cavallini

The assists on our goals were from Hutchinson, David, Hoilett and Kaye respectively.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I'm not actually sold Hoilett is our best option. Technically very skilled and one of our best 11 in terms of quality but seems he can't connect as well with others in attack. Not to say he doesn't, had some good combos today.

Can you elaborate?  He's been fantastic for Canada recently.  Collaborated great with MAK ? and Atiba on his goal.  Assist on another goal.

Personally I want him and Davies out wide and David playing behind Cavallini.  Bring on Osorio as a sub if you need some more creativity.  

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Can you elaborate?  He's been fantastic for Canada recently.  Collaborated great with MAK ? and Atiba on his goal.  Had a fantastic ball to David on Cav's first goal.  Assist on another goal.

Personally I want him and Davies out wide and David playing behind Cavallini.  Bring on Osorio as a sub if you need some more creativity.  

That was Osorio IIRC.

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Boooooom!

Goal via defenders leg, pure class JH

im not sure he (or any striker ever) means to laser one through a defender's legs.  as far as im concerned, all they wanna do is hit it hard and low to the corner.  pure luck imo it nutmegged and went through.  as a defender, those are exactly the chances u crave to allow b/c 9/10, its a simple block

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to be "that guy" but that is a lunging tackle with studs showing and no control of the follow through.

sorry, but i disagree.  i think the ref got it right by not making a call on that.  player 'lunged', but he is entitled to do so.  that bit about 'studs showing' is garbage.  nowhere in the laws of the game does it ever mentions studs.  sorry my friend, but the guys talking on the tele have probably never looked at the laws lets alone have credit to comment.

I think your frustration would be alleviated if we simply played TWO match windows.  Seriously, we should be playing in a couple days again and then we could have Liam play a full 90.  Limited to three subs in a one match window you're obviously left with frustrated players inevitably.  

As for the dilemma between club and country the simple fact of the matter is this: both are extreme honours and in both cases he's going to have to fight to get playing time.  The thing I'd caution is that your national team is forever and a club team isn't (necessarily).  The margins for future Canadian squads are going to be extremely tight in (possibly) 2022 and 2026 along with whatever other future tournaments we're in.  

Hopefully Liam can kick on and earn some starts to finish this season strong. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Nice set play.  Close one

yes, that short corner was awesomely executed.  (im not sure if i got the players right) the key is watching JH after he plays it short to JO.  JO turns to play it back and JH feins to go that way to support him drawing his mark.  however, JH breaks to the byline and JO turns a simple backheel into space.  JH correctly hits it hard with his first touch across goal, while the entire time, DC times his run perfectly... only to mess it up by not connecting.

wasting a golden opportunity like that is gonna kill this team when it matters.  theres no excuse for that not going in. 

sorry for being 'that guy' but cavalini was also very lucky hist goal in the first half went in.  he was inches from bungling that wide of the open net.  these two examples must be finished with more poise or else this team will never better than nz.  

good win.  sorry to be a realist.

21 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

im not sure he (or any striker ever) means to laser one through a defender's legs.  as far as im concerned, all they wanna do is hit it hard and low to the corner.  pure luck imo it nutmegged and went through.  as a defender, those are exactly the chances u crave to allow b/c 9/10, its a simple block

Except when it isn't?

Just got back from the game. Lucas Cavallini best player on the pitch. Absolute beast. Hoilett dangerous always. David looked great. Hutch solid but showing his age

Jonathan Osorio needs to fix his face. Good player but he was subbed right in front of me. Made a big stink and then went straight to the locker room. Dude by that point we were having a laugh anyhow. I wont turn it in to a Osorio v Teibert discussion because its irrelevant. Osorio needs to check the attitude 

33 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

Fair opinion, ... allow me to re-phrase

Defender running in front of him trying to block it, JH rips the ball past him(lucky or unlucky), but the ball is whiped beautifly across the face of goal from outside the 18, to the bottom opposite corner, pure class JH.

The more games we play the more fluid as a squad we will become. Heard they mentioned on TSN 1-2 games before the Gold Cup, hope that's true. 

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

Kaye, Hoilett and David were all great tonight I thought.  

Hutchinson was very average tonight.  

Cornelius needs to be replaced on the backline before we get into serious matches.  The naive plays out of the back came from everyone but particularly infuriating was when Henry decided to do a scoop pass in our box AFTER we had just conceded a goal messing around.  I think Henry is our best defender but he is just so idiotic at times it makes you wonder if it's even worth it.

What was with Osorio's little hissy fit on being subbed?  Although I didn't agree with Teibert coming in, I didn't like that.  As for Teibert.  A) Why is he even in the squad? B ) He hasn't even made the Vancouver bench but gets 30 minutes while others sit on the bench?  That's absurd.

We could and SHOULD have scored more goals in the second half.  Seriously we were completely weak, they were literally handing us chance after chance and we couldn't make it happen.  Everyone was guilty of sloppy play in the final third, even the aforementioned top players. 

I think we're being a bit harsh on Rusty. (Just got back from the game.) He was solid in possession, had a couple of very effective passes going forward, and was tidy in defence and positioning. He is not a game-changer, no, but he isn't SO far off other guys in the squad (and he has a much better attitude than Osorio).  I though Osorio was okay. As guys like David and MAK develop, and when Arfield is back, it is hard to see how a guy like Osorio will see much of the field. 

JGB had a solid game. And he is still just a kid. David was great and can still get better. Would have liked to see Kaye in the middle the entire game, but was happy to see Hutch one more time. But, yeah, this team needs more games together. Really wish Millar had been subbed on!

We are making real strides forward. We're still a long ways from being able to get results against the US and Mexico, but I feel that we are getting really close to Honduras and Costa Rica (and Panama?) Strong turnout, great crowd, solid performance--one brain fart away from a complete game.  

One note: Arfield's importance to this team will only become that more apparent as Hutch steps down.  We need a clear leader, and Scotty is the right guy for the job. (I respect Hoillet, but he farts around too much sometimes, and we need a captain who can talk to a guy like that AND get the most out of him.)

Im seeint people criticize Piette and Teibert. Both were very good. Piette had to deal with some big fellas jumping all over him. He got beat up the whole game abd kept ticking. Teiberts work rate might not show up on tv but his energy is off the charts. Keeps it simple but id be suprised if he wasnt close to 100% pass accuracy 

Borjan - Still our first choice keeper by a long shot but definitely needed to do better on that goal.  I would hate to see a mistake like that cost us in the Gold Cup.

Henry - He was fairly good.  Definitely his position to lose but would rather see James partnered next to him.  Hopefully Tomori & Ferreira join because this is still our weakest position.

Cornelius - Needs some improving but still has the potential but not quite ready in my opinion.

ZBG - Was surprised he got the start over Godinho (besides turf playing a fatcor) but he performed very well again in my opinion and it will be tough to overtake him.  Maybe some pre Gold cup friendlies will allow us to see Godinho in action with the NT.

Kaye - Thought he did very well at outside back.  Shows Herdman's lack of confidence in Adekugbe when MAK gets the nod at left back.

Piette - Did not think he was good today.  I think he will find playing time tough to come by when Eustaquio comes into the fold and we find a capable outside back so MAK can go inside mid.

Hutchinson - Wasn't his best game but not much needs to be said about his quality and what he means to this team.

Osorio - I thought he linked up well and was creative in his minutes.  I am a fan of his but the attitude has got to go.

David - He was great as always.  He is the next big thing for Canada.

Hoilett - I thought he was fantastic again today, particularly in the first half.

Cavallini - Great hold up play and definitely our # 1 striker going into the final stretch before Gold Cup.  He was a bit wasteful.  Should have scored 2 or 3 more and was lucky on both of his goals in my opinion.  

Subs:

Teibert - I hope we are not in the position come Gold Cup time where we need him in the midfield.  Very ordinary in my opinion.

Adekugbe - Has to be disheartening to know a central midfielder is preferred over you at your own position but I thought he did well in his time there.  Herdman obviously wants to give him some time there so I'm glad he made that substitution for his confidence.

Larin - Similar to Adekugbe, I think Herdman made that sub to help with his confidence and hopefully get him on the scoresheet but to me, its not the game to be doing that.  Probably hurt his confidence more than anything.  Start him in a friendly.

Disappointed that Millar & Tabla didn't get to see the pitch.  Even more reason to book friendlies so players like Larin, Tabla & Millar can get some game time.

As for the future lineup, I would likely replace Cornelius with James.  I will keep ZBG at RB & MAK at LB but put Arfield as box to box with Atiba behind and move Piette to the bench.  I cannot see any of Hoilett, Davies or David on the bench, so Osorio would be the one missing out.  Move David behind Cavallini.  A bit attack minded but not sure where else to move anyone.

Did people think Adekugbe did well?  I thought he was invisible compared to Kaye there and he failed to make an impression in his limited time.  As fresh legs he had some opportunities to overlap where he hung back and maybe that was the overall instruction but I thought he could have attempted to have a bigger impact on the match, rather than just fill in.

25 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

We are making real strides forward. We're still a long ways from being able to get results against the US and Americans, 

You may not be confident about us getting results against the US and the Americans, but surely you can see we have a decent shot of getting a result against the Yanks and Team USA

Archived