Canada vs French Guiana Match Thread

mpg_29

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I get why we would want Larin to get some time and confidence, but man it changes our play when he comes on for Cav. 

Personally I thought the game changed much earlier.  Not a fan of Teibert.  MAK not his usual self in the center of the park either.

Overall we were far superior, to the point that our rival was rather useless in some details, like clearing high ball from their box that we were still able to cut off--they were poor. 

So it was right to expect us to dominate, and we had the mentality to dominate for most of the match. 

The front line was good, Piette, Kaye for me as well. I liked Brault-Guillard. Borjan. 

Have serious doubts about the quality of our back line, looks like Cornelius is still developing, that is all very well here, but vs. stronger opposition, not good enough. 

5 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Nice to have players actually doing combinations in the attacking third. I haven't seen that forever from Canada.

Teibert and Larin were a noticable drop in offensive quality when they came on.

Not confident in Teibert but Larin will get it back.  Unfortunately I don't think hes going to be in form for the Gold Cup.  I still believe he should be there in the squad but hes not going to get many opportunities to turn it around at Besiktas.  I'm confident in his talent though.

40 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Can someone provide a box score for me - goal scorers and approximate times. Can't seem to find this online, bizarrely.

Lots of stats (incl. official assists) can be found here:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-03-24-canada-vs-french-guiana/feed

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-03-24-canada-vs-french-guiana/stats

Happy with the result, team looked comfortable and played a lot of good combinations. Got sloppy near the end which was a bit of a shame. Personally not a fan of Teibert coming in although he was fine; would have really liked to see Millar instead. Don't think Teibert really belongs in this midfield with the vets/guys in their prime/youngsters coming up. 

Really annoyed Liam Millar didn’t get on. For those who were watching on tv and might not have seen it he was warming up for about 10 minutes by him self before they told Larin to warm up for a couple minutes and then sent him on. There was no reason for Larin to come on as he is slow and has horrible footwork, while on the other hand Millar is quick energetic and has shown to have great footwork and he creates chances. Larin is great for when we are down a goal and are throwing balls into the box but in a game like today where it was very open and both team playing quick it would have been a perfect time for Millar to shine. Overall though it was a fun game standing with y’all and I have to say Kaye was my MOTM.

The game for me reinforces the need to play friendlies and other matches against higher quality opponents. The win is great, fine and dandy but too often we moved the ball to slowly and casually because we knew we could afford to do so. We need to move the ball quicker and make some sharper decisions against teams that are better than this FG team (who were missing a bunch of players from their Gold Cup team).

All that said, I think the game winning goal was one of the finest team goals we've ever done - started with us winning the ball in the corner of our own half and I think nearly every player touched the ball before Cavallini kneed it into the back of the net.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Hoilett 1-0 Canada

French Guyana 1-1

Cavalini 2-1 Canada

David 3-1 Canada

Cavalini 4-1 Canada

Can't recall the times of the goals, exactly.

French Guiana's goal was scored by Kevin Rimane, the PSG guy on loan in Croatia.

11' - Hoilett

26' - Rimane

39' - Cavallini

41' - David

50' - Cavallini

Archived