Canadians abroad: March 15-21, 2019

DJT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointing to see Vancouver struggle defensively early in the season since many of us rate Crepeau as our current backup keeper and Henry & Cornelius as our starting center backs.  I have only watched a little bit of the Whitecaps season so far so I maybe I'm not the best person to critique the performances.

Nothing disappointing..crepeau has been ok, henry hasnt made huge mistakes leading to goals and even scored and cornelius was an unknown at mls level but his best level was with in serbian superliga with a team that got relegated and hasnt been a cb for a long time..now its clear hes not good enough for now

Just learnt that Dani Fernandes, who as we know was capped by Portugal, is still playing: he is at Farense in Portuguese 2nd division, been there all season. 

Dani was spending a lot of time last year in Vancouver, setting up some coaching services and getting involved in some business ventures related to training, and then I believe he started to work on his coaching license back in Oporto or vicinity. So I had assumed he had retired. Which was also a reason I thought he could be a coaching prospect for CPL. 

I wonder if Pacific would offer him a deal to go in goal for them.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

Cornelius was terrible..Henry struggled too. They have looked very shaky thus far in the season 

What are you talking about? Henry was very good! Cornelius struggled for sure, but he was also hard done by on the PK call. Not sure why MDS did not start Nerwinski on the right. Derek needs to get his confidence back. This is a great opportunity for him.

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

Nothing disappointing..crepeau has been ok, henry hasnt made huge mistakes leading to goals and even scored and cornelius was an unknown at mls level but his best level was with in serbian superliga with a team that got relegated and hasnt been a cb for a long time..now its clear hes not good enough for now

Crepeau has been very good, not just Ok.  And Henry has been very solid. He had several key cut outs today and was focused and effective. 

8 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

What are you talking about? Henry was very good! Cornelius struggled for sure, but he was also hard done by on the PK call. Not sure why MDS did not start Nerwinski on the right. Derek needs to get his confidence back. This is a great opportunity for him.

He got turned inside the box, not a good look.  His poor positioning after getting beat led to the hail mary clearance/tackle from behind where his cleats just barely grazed the ball.  In Concacaf the refs call that kind of contact 10x/10 whether he gets the ball or not. 

In general, he got beat for pace and in the air regularly and easily by Elis, the forward for Houston who just happens to be a Honduran International FFS.      

3 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Henry puts in some blocks and clearances that make him noticeable, but I still do not rate him as a defender. In my eyes, he is partly responsible on the 3rd Houston goal. When PC is already engaged, you can not step up like that and leave so much space behind you. I just dont think he reads the game well.

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

It's way too early to say that.

I watched the entire Whitecaps match. Yes, he had a tough afternoon, but you can tell he can play at this level. I would be worried if he looked totally out of his depth, but he didn't.

The two mistakes were fatal, but they weren't caused by his lack of quality.

On the first, he did well initially, but tried to play out of the back when perhaps he shouldn't have. He just picked the wrong option and Elis picked his pocket. It happens. Later in the half he played the ball out of bounds. Took no chances. He learned.

On the second, he was called for a foul in the box, but he got a touch to the ball and it went to VAR. Could have gone either way. Elis is probably a top 3 athlete in MLS. Do I hold this against Cornelius? No.

I know what you're thinking - Elis plays for Honduras. This could happen in WCQ...

But meh, still not concerned.  He'll improve with experience. The talent is there. 

^ Thats why I said for now..you put him on the field now hes not good enough because of the decision making, positionning..but those are things he can improve and he has a good skill base so up to him and staff to help him improve those points

8 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Wait a minute...when Henry makes a mistake it's all about his brainfarts but when Cornelius completely ruins the game for them it's just part of the learning curve? 

Crepeau was just fine though. 

Btw in comparison: Piette was awesome!

Yes...because Henry does it constantly. If Cornelius keeps this up, he will receive the same treatment. 

I watched the last 2 Caps games and think Henry and Crepeau have been fine, Cornelius has struggled playing on the left side, maybe he will look better when the new LB comes in and if he's moved to the right CB spot of a back 4! I will never be convinced that was a penalty and thought VAR should have overturned the call, he got the ball and the player went down after stepping on his foot!

Serbia

Borjan starts against Rad Beograd. 3-0 win

Belgium

Jonathan David starts against St Truiden. 2-0 win and through to the championship group

Denmark

Manjrekar James gets his first start against Sonderjyske. 90 mins in a 2-1 win

I agree that Henry has been fine in the couple games this year.

I feel like he has this reputation that he’s super penalty prone and I think it is a bit exaggerated. I feel like he’s toned down the aggressiveness since he’s been with Vancouver. Like how many penalties did he give up with TFC anyway like 2 or 3 maybe when he as 18-21. I don’t really see it as an issue.

Cornelius did have an absolute shocker yesterday though. Both of the first two goals were his fault. I think he’s decent with the ball at his feet but has issues with his 1v1 defending and decision making. I think he has potential and can get better with playing time.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

not to mention 1 in WCQ already, in 2016.  and its not just fouls, its a history of handballs as well. 

he needs to have zero this year and lead by example. 

That's a big ask for a CB with the officiating the way it is in that league! I do agree he will gain a lot more of our confidence if he continues to play well and cuts the errors down!

Archived