Canadian designated player rule?

If the CPL has a successful first season (which it likely will), and all clubs are on a solid financial footing, I’m wondering if the league could bring in a Canadian designated player rule, where each team would be allowed to sign one or perhaps two Canadian designated players, with only part of their salary counting against the salary cap. This would enable CPL teams to go after players such as Jackson-Hamel, Godinho, Chapman and Hamilton (just a few names that come to mind) whom they probably cannot currently afford. What are your thoughts on this?

No offense Grandbloke, but BOOOO!!!  The less convoluted and more transparent/simple the roster rules are in CPL the better.  The DP, TAM rule etc has enabled MLS to create an ever worsening 2 tier system.  High priced foreign talent they can flaunt (wow we are such a great league!!), and the rest of the roster being league minimum domestics (yippee, the owners can keep costs down).  And its taking away more and more minutes from younger players which is something we dont want to emulate.   Set a simple cap to get the league off and running, and as economics improve just raise the overall cap number.  

38 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

No offense taken, Bison44. Under the rule I’m proposing, designated players would have to be Canadian, so it wouldn’t be a way for clubs to sign high-priced foreign talent.

I think the main argument still stands.  Player salary money would be better spent elevating the general quality of the league by offering all players better wages than by splashing the cash (and a substantial portion of available salary funds) on a marquis player to attract attention.  With the developmental focus, this sort of incremental progression will be more beneficial to the players - some of whom would not really be making a comfortable living wage on what is speculated to be the low end of the salary scale.  The idea of bringing in someone like Atiba in a year or two for a victory lap, while some of his full time teammates are still couch surfing (exaggeration, but maybe only slight), seems  less than optimal - even if it would grab some headlines. 

Having said all that, it is hard to deny the Beckham effect on MLS.  Grabbing headlines does get more eyes on the games, which eventually drives up revenue. 

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

No thanks. MLS rules are a large part of the reason I find the league impossible to support. Just raise the cap appropriately. If they can afford Haber, Issey and DeJong, you should be able to afford MLS Canadians. Keep the CPL as transparent and club based as possible.

How is a DP rule any less transparent than a general salary cap increase? I don't see what the big deal as it is, in effect simply a salary cap increase with some restrictions. 

The problem with the MLS system is that the league pays all the players so it seems unfair to teams that don't get as big a star and, as noted above, is designed to bring in Internationals, not nationals. 

28 minutes ago, ted said:

The problem with the MLS system is that the league pays all the players so it seems unfair to teams that don't get as big a star and, as noted above, is designed to bring in Internationals, not nationals. 

DPs are paid by their clubs, as are some TAM players.

6 hours ago, ted said:

How is a DP rule any less transparent than a general salary cap increase? I don't see what the big deal as it is, in effect simply a salary cap increase with some restrictions. 

Yeah but then there's TAM, GAM and what not. Does anyone still understand how it works? They could do away with all of those by just raising the cap.

18 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

No offense taken, Bison44. Under the rule I’m proposing, designated players would have to be Canadian, so it wouldn’t be a way for clubs to sign high-priced foreign talent.

While I understand the intent of this in terms of showcasing Canadians, I think it would actually be less effective than a Beckham-style rule.  The reality is that outside of our strange little circle here, most people have no idea who Atiba is - and he is our biggest player in terms of consistently competing at a really high level.  I know Davies has pretty quickly become a more recognizable name, but he wouldn't be eligible for a DP victory lap  for another decade or more.  That means that any currently "big" Canadian soccer player wouldn't have anything like the kind of drawing power that the MLS DP's were intended to have.  I doubt few - if any -  additional people would start going to games because a team signed someone like Arfield (or even a veteran like DeRo) because not that many people actually know who those guys are  - and many who do are probably already interested.  

I have no problem with a DP or Marquee player where teams can sign up to three players who don't have their salary count against the cap. People are acting like it would lead to more convoluted rules but if the salary cap increases each year at a good level, that and the DP rule would increase the league quality by a good amount. 

It isn't that complicated. Duane ans others have mentioned that the CPL has discussed a similar rule in the past so it's something on the table down the road.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

I have no problem with a DP or Marquee player where teams can sign up to three players who don't have their salary count against the cap. People are acting like it would lead to more convoluted rules but if the salary cap increases each year at a good level, that and the DP rule would increase the league quality by a good amount. 

It isn't that complicated. Duane ans others have mentioned that the CPL has discussed a similar rule in the past so it's something on the table down the road.

You dont think it would??  Look what happened in MLS, they just keep adding more and more rules to allow clubs to try and get around the cap, while raising it in tiny increments.  MLS having one player making almost more than the entire roster of another team is ridiculous.  All in an effort to keep the rank and file players (domestics) down but still bring in the big name players.  Its the exact opposite of the way I would like to see the league go.  If the league grows to a point that the clubs are healthy, drawing well with tv deals, sponsorship  etc and the some bigger clubs want to spend more, then do away with the cap altogether.  

25 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You dont think it would??  Look what happened in MLS, they just keep adding more and more rules to allow clubs to try and get around the cap, while raising it in tiny increments.  MLS having one player making almost more than the entire roster of another team is ridiculous.  All in an effort to keep the rank and file players (domestics) down but still bring in the big name players.  Its the exact opposite of the way I would like to see the league go.  If the league grows to a point that the clubs are healthy, drawing well with tv deals, sponsorship  etc and the some bigger clubs want to spend more, then do away with the cap altogether.  

My point is the CPL doesn't have to get more convoluted after that. And I think they don't want to go down that path.

I'm not as opposed as others to the DP rule, but if I had to choose I wouldn't do it. I'd be happy enough to have a wide salary range. Let's say hypothetically this year the cap is 1 million dollars. I'd like there to be a floor of something like 500,000. Keep a cap and a floor, but I'm happy enough to have the cap grow faster than the floor. Maybe in 10 or 15 years the floor is only up to 750,000 while the cap is at 3 million. We are hoping for small markets to be able to join, so keep the floor manageable so they are allowed to compete, but don't hold back the teams with higher aspirations/resources if they want to get better and as a result, bring more eyeballs to the league.

With a higher cap for the teams that choose to spend that much money, they have more options for how they want to spend it. If there is a player that they think will sell more tickets or garner more headlines and that is their priority for whatever reason, go for it. If they have aspirations of going deep in CONCACAF League or the Voyageurs Cup or just gunning for winning the league, then maybe they'll choose to spread that money out on more players. Let them have the choice instead of pretending there is one blueprint for how to build a team.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Designated Players are a gateway drug.

Maybe. But there probably will come a time in the growth of the league when the headline grabbing effect they have might be necessary. I think you could allow teams 1 or 2 big names without getting into the other TAM, GAM craziness that is MLS.

Let's learn to walk before we try to run. My recollection is that in the early years MLS recognized that the thing most likely to sink it was spiralling player wages in search of success, and so they very wisely made rules to ensure that player wages were kept under control.

I'm not sure how long MLS have had the DP rule (and related madness) but I think CPL should hold off on that for now and possibly forever. I really don't think the odd big European name will be why people will watch CPL, so the basis for a DP seems weak. That said, if a case can be made without damaging financial stability, I would eventually be in favour.

I do think Forlan would sell a lot of Valour tickets if he were to land.

Archived