Montreal Impact 2019 Season

Grizzly

On 4/25/2019 at 3:01 PM, Chad_Impact said:

Honestly love what I've seen from Shome, ZBG, Bahiya and Choiniere. I would start Choiniere over Novillo any day and ZBG over Sagna right now as well. 

I think we should name them "Les Enfants"

Add Okwonkwo to the list.

Edited by mtlfan

Omar Browne talks juggling Gold Cup and Montreal Impact aspirations

"I would like to go to the Gold Cup, but I would like to stay in the club, to win a position here in the club and to sign me permanently, that's what I want to help my family," Browne told FutbolMLS's Ariel Judas this week.

The 25-year-old is probably in a good position to get the call for the Gold Cup for Panama, but he admitted he potentially has a bit of a dilemma.

"I'm here on loan, I'd like to earn a place and stay here," said the footballer. "The Gold Cup can help me, but I would like to stay here with my club so that I can sign one, two or three years, do you understand? Then, as I am not sure [I'll be staying] here, I want to demonstrate here first, and then think about the rest."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/05/03/omar-browne-talks-juggling-gold-cup-and-montreal-impact-aspirations

Between TFC, CanPL and the Whitecaps (which I only watched the 1st half), I didn't get around to watching the game versus NYCFC.

How did ZGB do? I see he played (presumably at right back, as per usual), but I believe Impact have never dropped all 3 points when he has played, until now. Was he culpable for any of the goals? He has been exceptional for the other 3 games I watched him play in.

Didnt watch the game but Jackson got grilled here: https://viaupark.ca/2019/05/06/montreal-nycfc-trois-constats-sur-limpact-2/

Google translate: 

Jackson was a little short

A human tide claimed him, Bombardier Limoilou, the savior. And then, he was tenured. Unfortunately, it was not very convincing. On the one hand, it's true, Jackson had very few balloons. On the other hand, he was often a half-second late; in his calls, in his reactions, in anticipation. All that does not help to receive balloons. What's more, we saw him late in the duels, and even more so on the second balloons. In short, the reaction time was simply not there. At this level, it does not forgive unfortunately. Insufficient.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another solid 90+ mins for Shome who was good on both sides of the ball. He is going to give Teibert a real push in the near future for a place on the national team if he continues to develop and play like he did today. ZBG with an impressive sub appearance for Browne on right wing making  a few  dazzling runs with the ball. The kid is a rocket. Think he is going to surprise many at the GC. Choiniere was also solid until he took a hard knock to the head and had to be subbed out in the 2nd half. Hope it is not a concussion but did not look good. Piette was a stud. Agree with Jonovision that Garde and MDS at VW are really earning their money. Both teams with injuries and VW with a crazy schedule of games but gutting out points.

TFC should have gone for Browne. He is exactly the sort of player they needed. What a wasted opportunity. He is the sort of player you can play in a two-man forward line with Altidore (currently being occupied by Pozuelo), or you can play him on the wing in a front 3. Oh well, Toronto's loss is Montreal's gain.

As for the Impact, I thought it was a good performance today. I kept forgetting Shome was on the field, in a good way. No real mistakes that I recall. That is very good news for a young Canadian player we thought may not have what it takes to play at this level. Great news for the national team.

ZBG had a really good opportunity to score in injury time. He had the composure to weave his way towards goal, but once he was 1-1 with the keeper in the box, it was truly a fullback's finish. I can't blame him for that though, he did well in his 20 minutes on the field helping Montreal get the 3 points. He didn't look particularly comfortable as a right midfielder, but he did his job. Canada may be in a position where they need him to play that role if the game warrants it, so good for him for getting the experience today.

Piette was his usual self: unspectacular, but solid.

Choiniere was also good. Every game he looks more like an MLS player. Hopefully he is okay after the Justin Glad incident. I look forward to seeing him with the U-23 team in qualifying, along with Shome (ZBG will probably be with the senior team) 

Edited by Obinna

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm happy about it. Always good to have someone knowledgeable dedicated to finding the right players for the club. Only thing I would question is how much attention can he give to both clubs, one club seems like it can be hard enough, 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KJ in his podcast refer to Impact as a Yo-Yo team - would be nice to add some depth now to solidify things in the second half.  Defensively very solid, if you can add one or two pieces, they could scare some teams?

July 10, 2019  CPL vs MLS Voyageurs Cup post game press conference of York 9 FC vs Montreal Impact match on my site right now.
http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york123.htm   

Impact's head coach Remi Garde and Samuel Piette.  York 9's Jimmy Brennan and Ryan Telfer. 

more pictures, rosters, play by play, opinion added in next day or two.  

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Bologna signed Lassi Lappalainen, a promising 20 year old LW, and will reportedly loan him out to the Impact right away.

I mean...if we needed a winger sure...but our strikers don't even 5 goals combined...

Taider has been playing out wide recently, right?

Perhaps this allows for him to move into the middle, where he can have more influence.

It could also be seen as insurance in the event Piatti leaves.

More quality on the wings could/should generate more chances for Urutti and Jackson-Hamel. Urutti in particular should come good eventually.

50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Taider has been playing out wide recently, right?

Perhaps this allows for him to move into the middle, where he can have more influence.

It could also be seen as insurance in the event Piatti leaves.

More quality on the wings could/should generate more chances for Urutti and Jackson-Hamel. Urutti in particular should come good eventually.

Taider's played wide like 2 or 3 times I think because of injuries.

As for Urutti...he works his *** off but will never be a real finisher, and AJH hasn't proven he can do it either. This team needs a real #9 desperately. 

11 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Taider's played wide like 2 or 3 times I think because of injuries.

As for Urutti...he works his *** off but will never be a real finisher, and AJH hasn't proven he can do it either. This team needs a real #9 desperately. 

Fair enough on Taider. That's why I have seen him playing there recently then. With injuries, all the more reason to take the chance on a young winger though, no?

At the beginning of the season, I questioned them bringing him in, especially at the cost they did, but I never expected him to struggle like this.

Like you say, Urruti is working hard and does provide value despite the lack of goals. I am sure you watch the Impact more closely than I, so is it the case of missing chances, not getting chances, or both?