General MLS Talk 2019

Big_M

55 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The Revolution are such a joke. They play on an awful turf, inside a cavernous stadium, located in the middle of nowhere. They haven't been good since Stevie Nicol coached them. They give Brad Friedel the chance to develop as a coach, but then fire him after only 40-something games. What were you actually expecting from him? MLS cup? I have absolutely zero affinity towards NER and even I am annoyed by how terrible they are - not just for this, but overall. This firing is just the icing on top of their **** cake. Get it together Kraft.

Sucks that we have CDN kids there.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like horta going back to braga..knew he wasnt gonna last long in la after watching that episode of him and bradley last year..galaxy preparing offer for highly priced pavon

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/07/report-lafc-designated-player-andre-horta-could-return-sc-braga

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/07/reports-galaxy-preparing-mega-offer-boca-juniors-star-cristian-pavon

Some notable salaries:

Pozuelo is "only" on $3.8million

Laurent Ciman doesn't appear to even be a TAM player - he is at $435K. Osorio on the other hand is at $776K and I think is the highest paid Canuck in the league (which we probably had already guessed as no other Canadians are TAM players or DP's). Will Johnson is at $491K, Henry at $204K, AJH at $175, Jakovic at $153, Teibert at $190K.

Ibrahimovic is at $7.2 million, a new MLS salary record just barely beating what Giovinco got the last two seasons at 7.1million (one guesses that this is not a coincidence).

In addition to Piette (at $143K) being a good bargain for the Impact, Crepeau at just $94K appears to be a great bargain for Vancouver. I am not sure that Piette's the best bargain for Montreal though as Omar Browne is only at $90K. Cornelius is at $112K. Shome is at $119K.

TFC's best bargain is probably Richie Laryea who is on the league minimum of $56K. Ryan Telfer is at $70K, so not sure if this is what York 9 are paying him while the loan is on, but if so that would be the first CPL salary that I've been made aware of.

Unless you count Michael Bradley at $6.5million or Altidore at $6.3 (both the last years of their old deal), Terrence Boyd appears to be the worst value for money for TFC at $213K - that's a lot of money for a striker that hasn't scored in the first five months of the season in all competitions. In comparison Hamilton & Akinola are at $137K and $124K respectively. By comparison (to Bradley's salary), Liam Fraser is at $75K.

Tesho is also a bargain for Orlando at $150K. In terms of young Canucks on US teams, Buchanan is at $126K and Kamal Miller is also at the league minimum. Callum Montgomery is at $70K, as is Edwards and Wright. Dayne St. Clair at $77K, Levis at $74K. Ashtone Morgan at $133K, Choiniere at $86K, ZBG at $81K, Bayiha at $67K, Pantemis at $70K, Dunn & Daniels at $57K.

• 1 month later...

What an entrance from gustavo bou..2 big time dp's there with him and gil..they are really getting things right in new england with coaching and players..making the playoffs this year and probably a championship contender in next couple years 

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-07-17-new-england-revolution-vs-vancouver-whitecaps-fc/recap

..and a lesson for vancouver who got it way wrong with inbeom as dp

Zlatan had some great etherings this week. His Ferrari comments got the most play but there was more but MLS media was scared to touch it. CPL should use his comments in their marketing. The best of the best was:

"Dream? No, I don't need to dream. When I was young, I was dreaming. Now I'm in the dream. Now I am the dream."

To Zlatan, 50% of soccer is mental. Mental toughness, that is. Which is something he thinks American soccer players lack. This lack, he believes, is institutional and largely explains why MLS has always stood in the shadow of the international game.

Because you don't make money in soccer," he tells me. "In Europe, I can pick two clubs that make money. The rest don't; they do it out of passion. Here, with the sports, you make money. That's it. And I think with all the rules you have here, you are not boosting up the soccer."..."The budget things. The salary cap. You cannot bring in players you want. They have more rules here than I have in my home." "I will tell you that of all the places I've been in my life as a professional, this is the most difficult."

"MLS is not the level of Europe, to be honest. Before, I played with players either on my level or close to it. Which makes the game connect easier. ... Here, I am like a Ferrari among Fiats. And it can happen that the Ferrari can become the Fiat, or the Fiat can become the Ferrari. I had the same issue with the national [Swedish] team, though not as much. I said, 'I don't accept it. I don't accept when the ball doesn't arrive, or arrives too late. I want them to come up to my level.' All of this makes me slow down a bit. The game here [in America] could be so much faster, so much more tactical, so much more rhythmic."

Here, you can lose five games and it's still, 'Don't worry, we are in the playoffs.' So why even play first eight months of season? No, I don't accept. To be best, you have to be best every day. You know, in Euro, if you come in last, you go down to Division 2. That is pressure. ... So last year, we fight for six position to go to playoff, but came in seven. If we had made sixth position, people would have said we had a 'good season.' I say, 'Fighting for the sixth position? That means we had s--- season!" We need to fight for No. 1, not 6."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3901444/zlatan-has-something-to-tell-you-i-dont-need-to-dream-i-am-the-dream

Edited by red card

On 5/9/2019 at 1:51 PM, Obinna said:

The Revolution are such a joke. They play on an awful turf, inside a cavernous stadium, located in the middle of nowhere. They haven't been good since Stevie Nicol coached them. They give Brad Friedel the chance to develop as a coach, but then fire him after only 40-something games. What were you actually expecting from him? MLS cup? I have absolutely zero affinity towards NER and even I am annoyed by how terrible they are - not just for this, but overall. This firing is just the icing on top of their **** cake. Get it together Kraft.

In between visits to massage parlours, it looks like Bob Kraft has taken your advice.  They've since had a good turnaround under Arena.  

Can you re-work this exact rant but insert the Whitecaps instead?  That's their only hope 😃

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really curious to know if having 30+ teams (eventually) ultimately helps the league develop players better or worse.  I guess we'll never really know if staying at 20 would have been better.  One marker could be MLS' failure to make real progress in the CCL.  If the league was improving in quality, they'd have perhaps had more success.

I'm just waiting for MLS to switch to divisions... ugh. 

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I'm really curious to know if having 30+ teams (eventually) ultimately helps the league develop players better or worse.  I guess we'll never really know if staying at 20 would have been better.  One marker could be MLS' failure to make real progress in the CCL.  If the league was improving in quality, they'd have perhaps had more success.

I'm just waiting for MLS to switch to divisions... ugh. 

The percentage of domestic to international players in MLS is close to 50%. Of those domestic players, I am sure the majority of them are not starters. So you can say the development of US players is well below it's potential, and with 28 clubs, that potential is vast.

Contrast that with the CPL, where the percentage of domestic players is closer to 80 or 90%. Much better for development.

Furthermore, with a CPL team getting a concacaf league spot every season, young canadians are going to end up playing more in concacaf than Americans. Perhaps not in terms of absolute numbers, but we'll be more efficient when it comes to giving our players concacaf games. I think our young players may become better equipped for concacaf as a result.

Edited by Obinna

8 Int slots/yeam, ,most teams have 25-30 players on the books in MLS  So that is probably at its highest 33/67% split, maybe 36/64% if you pare it down to a 22man roster.  CPL has roughly 5-6 INT per team, say a 22man roster average or roughly 75% CDN.  The total numbers arent that much different, its the 6 starter quota that makes the difference.  Plenty of MLS teams trot out the bare minimum of domestics and give most of the playing time to INT.  Thats the real bonus for CPL player development, and it doesnt seem to hurt the quality of play at all.  

Big difference is percentage of eligible players for national team..portland has the 8 international slots filled in the 27 man roster but also asprilla blanco cascante chara dielna mabiala valeri tuiloma flores jadama dont count as internationals so 18 of 27 are not eligible (or seems so) for usa

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Big difference is percentage of eligible players for national team..portland has the 8 international slots filled in the 27 man roster but also asprilla blanco cascante chara dielna mabiala valeri tuiloma flores jadama dont count as internationals so 18 of 27 are not eligible (or seems so) for usa

Shhhh, dont spread this around.  I dont want CPL to copy it, Ie Roberts, Welshman etc etc count as CDN for roster purposes but not for CMNT.  I especially dont want them to copy the MLS/green card makes you domestic kind of thing here.  Come to think of it, I dont want the CPL to copy almost anything MLS has done, other than expand and stay afloat.  

MLS in full hypocrisy mode by banning people with anti - facism/racism/gun violence signs in recent matches. This is in the vein of there are fine people on both sides. Or as deadspin put it "By Banning Protest Signs, MLS Is Trying To Lobotomize The Fandom It Asked For". Basically, MLS is taking its slogan Soccer is for All to the extreme.

MLS says no politics in stadium but yet play anthems, have Pride month, camo jerseys etc..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/21/mls-and-antifa-americas-top-flight-grapples-with-political-signage-ban

Edited by red card