Sign in to follow this  
Club Linesman

Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Season

On 10/17/2019 at 5:17 PM, Big_M said:

Whitecaps FC announce first roster moves ahead of 2020

The club exercised the 2020 contract options for right back Jake Nerwinski, as well as forwards Yordy Reyna and Tosaint Ricketts, and now have a total of 18 players under contract for next season. Players who were already under contract for 2020 include goalkeepers Maxime Crepeau, Thomas Hasal, and Zac MacMath, centre backs Derek Cornelius and Jasser Khmiri, full backs Ali Adnan and Georges Mukumbilwa, midfielders Michael Baldisimo, Simon Colyn, Jon Erice, Inbeom Hwang, Andy Rose, and Russell Teibert, as well as forwards Theo Bair and Fredy Montero.

If these 18 are returning its gonna be another mediocre squad

We need a massive upgrade in midfield. Maybe the young turks will grow to be studs, but that will take some time. I am fine keeping Rusty, but the only midfielder here who helps us know is Inbeom.  Erice needs to go, as does Andy Rose.  Not sure we'll see Montero return. I am pretty happy with the backline, but I hope we can add Godoy too.  Saw something from MDS where he says we need five positions filled, big time.  Curious to see how this plays out.

21 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

We need a massive upgrade in midfield. Maybe the young turks will grow to be studs, but that will take some time. I am fine keeping Rusty, but the only midfielder here who helps us know is Inbeom.  Erice needs to go, as does Andy Rose.

Teibert and Rose need to be back ups, not regular starters, imo.  MDS seems to value Rose, so I don't see him going anywhere, much to the dismay of the fanbase.  The young turks you speak of won't be emerging with this team:  they'll be making their breakthrough elsewhere.

More evidence Whitecaps don't know how to provide opportunities to young players. Liam Fraser on his days at the Whitecaps:

Fraser doesn’t offer much about his time in the Whitecaps organization, saying: “It was all right.”

But pressed, he spills.

“They never gave me the opportunity I felt I deserved there and I think a lot of people over there tried taking credit for something I don’t think they built up at all ... Last time I went to Vancouver I had a couple of people, part of the (Vancouver) organization – I won’t name anyone – say ‘Oh, it was great to see a Whitecaps product.’ And I said ‘You guys didn’t give me nothing.“’

He believes the Whitecaps, while giving him a chance to play in his own age group, “never pushed me for that next step.”

“I owe everything to Toronto FC and the people that gave me opportunity here,” he said.

As a result Fraser looks forward to games against the Whitecaps. “I love them.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-liam-fraser-bides-his-time-with-toronto-fc-but-believes-he-is-ready/

It's an upgrade on anything before. We shall see if he lasts or even has an impact. 

So much change needed again on the pitch. MDS has until the summer window to show he can take the team forward imo. Schuster will be ruthless if need be. 

Has there been no more word on Henry's transfer?? I'm curious to see how much they sell him for.  And on a related note, did Davies transfer had a performance clause included??  With him getting all this game time, I wonder if the Whitecaps are getting a bunch more German cash.  

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Has there been no more word on Henry's transfer?? I'm curious to see how much they sell him for.  

Also will that injury sustained during the CANMNT game affect this transfer?

Was reading up on Colyn's loan to PSV Eindhoven when I came across Chituru Odunze sale to Leicester. How in Christ does a kid born in London England, grew up in Calgary with his family still living here, become the US U17 goalkeeper??

37 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Was reading up on Colyn's loan to PSV Eindhoven when I came across Chituru Odunze sale to Leicester. How in Christ does a kid born in London England, grew up in Calgary with his family still living here, become the US U17 goalkeeper??

Because Whitecaps hate Canada

As been mentioned before he doesn't have Canadian citizienship. I'll just assume people are joking because the thought that the Whitecaps are directing players to play for the US is a lets just say... an interesting thought. 

Another bigger picture item is.. if we don't want the US picking off dual nationals we shouldn't have them playing in the USSD or whatever it's called. Especially since our teams always excel and get in to the final rounds where the spotlight really turns on these players

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

As been mentioned before he doesn't have Canadian citizienship. I'll just assume people are joking because the thought that the Whitecaps are directing players to play for the US is a lets just say... an interesting thought. 

Another bigger picture item is.. if we don't want the US picking off dual nationals we shouldn't have them playing in the USSD or whatever it's called. Especially since our teams always excel and get in to the final rounds where the spotlight really turns on these players

I was joking, but according to this he does have Canadian citizenship:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/08/01/wfc-transfer-gk-chituru

I know that Odunze did not have Canadian citizenship at the time he started playing for the US. From what I understand, he has since acquired it, but by then he was probably too entrenched in the American system.

5 hours ago, masster said:

I know that Odunze did not have Canadian citizenship at the time he started playing for the US. From what I understand, he has since acquired it, but by then he was probably too entrenched in the American system.

I think they means he might not be eligible for Canada ever... I thought you couldn't switch if you didn't hold the nationality prior to playing in official FIFA competition.