TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So how do you explain 3rd in the league in scoring??  Some sort of cognitive separation going on here...stats say one thing, you think something else is true.  If there defense was even middle of the pack they would be several spots up in the standings and we all wouldnt be wringing our hands.  

They scored a ton of goals early on and teams started chopping up pozuelo plus jozy got hurt. 

These are the changes I'd make if I am the GM:

• Use the TAM money on a new starting left back, not Luca Janson
  • Trade Morrow or Delgado to the Chicago Fire for Raheem Edwards. Make him your right sided winger when you want to play wide and use Shaffelburg on the left.
  • Release Boyd to make room for another striker, someone who can get more than 0 goals in the first half of the calendar year
  • Transfer Bradley to whatever team wants him, let Fraser be the starter with Okello as his deputy. Use the 3rd DP spot to bring back Giovinco on loan since he apparently misses Toronto & TFC, according to the rumour and the fact that he's always here (rather than Italy) during his off season days from Saudi Arabia. If that doesn't work, sign another DP striker

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

• Trade Morrow or Delgado to the Chicago Fire for Raheem Edwards. Make him your right sided winger when you want to play wide and use Shaffelburg on the left.
  • Release Boyd to make room for another striker, someone who can get more than 0 goals in the first half of the calendar year
  • Transfer Bradley to whatever team wants him, let Fraser be the starter with Okello as his deputy. Use the 3rd DP spot to bring back Giovinco on loan since he apparently misses Toronto & TFC, according to the rumour and the fact that he's always here (rather than Italy) during his off season days from Saudi Arabia. If that doesn't work, sign another DP striker

Is it 2017? 😄

Delgado is def worth more than edwards who cant even get in the fires squad.

Morrow is still solid. 

Do you really think giovinco wants to give up his 10 million a year to comeback to tfc? Vanney wants to play wide with 1 striker. 

Boyd sucks but cutting him does nothing. 

Janson can be that second striker if needed. 

Id look to trade for joao plata. 

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Is it 2017? 😄

Delgado is def worth more than edwards who cant even get in the fires squad.

Morrow is still solid. 

Do you really think giovinco wants to give up his 10 million a year to comeback to tfc? Vanney wants to play wide with 1 striker. 

Boyd sucks but cutting him does nothing. 

Janson can be that second striker if needed. 

Id look to trade for joao plata. 

No, it's not 2017. Hence Bradley and Morrow are not the players they once were in 2017. Morrow's not been horrible but its been quietly evidence that he's not what he was and that he peaked in 2017. Daniel Lovitz is being picked ahead of him for the US national team and even the mlssoccer.com guys didn't even mention Morrow as an option for that position when they were talking about which players from MLS might have been called instead of the ones that were. Delgado is worth more than Edwards which is why he is tradeable - because it's no longer 2017 it's become apparent that Delgado can easily be replaced because other TFC midfielders - who are more affordable - have developed since then. That frees up salary space, as does the cutting of Boyd (the way you are posting it is as though you have forgotten that there is a salary cap) - Boyd is making almost twice as much as Hamilton which can't be justified given his lack of productivity.

Edwards hasn't been used recently by the Fire because they use him at left back where he struggles defensively, which is why I explicitly suggestion employing him as an attacking winger on the opposite side of the field.

Nobody said anything about Giovinco giving up 10 million.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:10 PM, Gian-Luca said:

No, it's not 2017. Hence Bradley and Morrow are not the players they once were in 2017. Morrow's not been horrible but its been quietly evidence that he's not what he was and that he peaked in 2017. Daniel Lovitz is being picked ahead of him for the US national team and even the mlssoccer.com guys didn't even mention Morrow as an option for that position when they were talking about which players from MLS might have been called instead of the ones that were. Delgado is worth more than Edwards which is why he is tradeable - because it's no longer 2017 it's become apparent that Delgado can easily be replaced because other TFC midfielders - who are more affordable - have developed since then. That frees up salary space, as does the cutting of Boyd (the way you are posting it is as though you have forgotten that there is a salary cap) - Boyd is making almost twice as much as Hamilton which can't be justified given his lack of productivity.

Edwards hasn't been used recently by the Fire because they use him at left back where he struggles defensively, which is why I explicitly suggestion employing him as an attacking winger on the opposite side of the field.

Nobody said anything about Giovinco giving up 10 million.

Cutting Boyd doesn’t free up any salary. Contracts are guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I wonder if Altidore's feud with Manning is still lingering.

It wouldn't surprise me, I don't think it was as easy as the club said to patch things up, this would probably be a good time to move him, his value will only most likely decrease!

Another loss for TFC last night in a match they maybe should have got a result in, yes Vanney has the excuse of missing some key players , I just don't like the way he sets up the team, no strikers! The Canadians all showed well, Fraser is becoming a very solid player, his passing is so tidy and much of the play goes through him as it does when Bradley is starting! I just hope Fraser is going to get more opportunities when MB returns, he's earned it! Certainly at some point the mostly ineffective Delgado has got to sit for Chapman, his passing is woeful at times, I don't care how much he runs!

On 6/28/2019 at 8:45 PM, Gian-Luca said:

I still dont get why Edwards was let go so quickly.  Obviously it looks very much like an internal issue.   But they never replaced him and Vanney went so far as to suggest (in the off season) that getting a winger was a priority.   I am all for getting Edward back. 

Getting Giovinco back would be top priority for me.  Even if it meant losing Pozuelo.  Pozuelo is a very good and maybe excellent player.  But he is not a game changer like Giovinco is.   Giovinco can do more things to change a game.  

I wont comment on Boyd because he hasn’t even played all that much.   And besides, i wasnt all that impressed with his pedigree to begin with.  You could argue that Ricketts had a similar professional background.  And he was let go.

I am torn on the Bradley point.   Thats because (looking at it from the cold hard numbers) on a dollar for value basis, the gap is so extreme between what they are paying him versus the alternative that in salary cap world, where these things get magnified,  It doesnt make financial sence to keep him instead of someone like Fraser.  But on the flip slide,  there is no way that you a better team (right now or even next year) by replacing him with the alternatives.  Bradley is a starter on his national team,  fraser didnt get called to his national team.  Ultimately, its what makes the team better that should count.  Unless they are rebuilding, and i dont thinking that rebuilding will ever work in MLS.  

As for Morrow and Delgado.  Morrow, in retrospect,  may have been a beneficiary of playing on a good team.   When the team was good,  he looked good.  Thats probably because when the team was good, they were strong possessing the ball and moving it around. Hence he was pushing forward a lot.  Now i dont see him pushing forward much,  he just looks like any other  run of the mill MLS guy out there.   In a salary cap league where is only so much $$$ to allocate,  Left back is not a position i would trade for.  Rather, its a position for grooming home grown talent.  Thats because they are cheaper and it allow you to spend more for players who play more central roles like AM, DM, FWD, and CD.   Delgado, needs to move on for his own good i think.   He has just not progressed. 

Edited by Free kick

12 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Pozuelo certainly lacks intensity in his play.  Very different player than Giovinco. 

Yeah hes a better passer and puts in effort on defense. Hes on pace to score about as much as giovinco last season as well. Imagine his assist numbers if he was playing with a decent striker insteaf of terrence boyd. 

Curtis makes it sound in this article like there will be a bunch of changes with the tranfer window opening, including more signings of youth players (I had assumed Shaffelburg would be it, although Dunfield had hinted in the COYR podcast that he thought that Marshall-Rutty (despite just turning 15) was close to making the 1st team, I think even calling him TFC's Alphonso Davies. Or am I thinking of Jayden Nelson?

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-gm-ready-to-make-roster-moves-as-mls-transfer-window-opens-1.1334701

20 hours ago, Free kick said:

I still dont get why Edwards was let go so quickly. 

As for Morrow and Delgado.  Morrow, in retrospect,  may have been a beneficiary of playing on a good team.   When the team was good,  he looked good.  Thats probably because when the team was good, they were strong possessing the ball and moving it around. Hence he was pushing forward a lot.  Now i dont see him pushing forward much,  he just looks like any other  run of the mill MLS guy out there.   In a salary cap league where is only so much $$$ to allocate,  Left back is not a position i would trade for.  Rather, its a position for grooming home grown talent.  Thats because they are cheaper and it allow you to spend more for players who play more central roles like AM, DM, FWD, and CD.   Delgado, needs to move on for his own good i think.   He has just not progressed. 

Edwards was taken from them rather the being let go. Still Chicago doesn't seem to want to use him at left back because of his defensive lapses so I am not sure how hard it would be to re-acquire him.

As for Delgado, I just think he is the most tradeable player they have given that he is still young, useful and his salary isn't too exorbitant - and the midfield is starting to get clogged up now with the emergence of some of the other players like Fraser and with Bradley coming back. Even if he's not traded to get Edwards, presumably they need to make some room in the cap to add more TAM players as Curtis is suggesting. The constant injuries in defense means that I am not sure that they can now cut any CB's even with the signing of Gonzalez. The only other obvious cut/disposal to make roster room/cap space is Boyd, but we're being told that cutting him wouldn't save any cap space so a trade would be better (but who is going to want to trade for a striker making that kind of salary with 0 goals in  5 months in all competitions?) So for me that leaves Delgado as the top trade chip.