Attendance Warz 2019!

Alex D

Halifax is around 3,500 as of the last update so that place should get sold out all year. Most of the other cities are an unknown at this point. 

For comparison, when OSEG talk about refunding Fury season ticket holders they claimed the number as 1,500. 

26 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They claim otherwise given the rhetoric about 70k on players rather than 35k. Suspect they will fall somewhere between the best and worst supported CanPL teams, so the poll is overly simplistic.

there have also been credible reports that they want to take loans from mls to get players at a reduced cost, i think we even had a fury rep admit as much, and a leak that travel costs in usl were lower.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They claim otherwise given the rhetoric about 70k on players rather than 35k. Suspect they will fall somewhere between the best and worst supported CanPL teams, so the poll is overly simplistic.

I think the poll is clear. CPL will have an average attendance across all teams. Ottawa Fury will have an average attendance in USL. Which will be higher?

It's going to depend on how high Hamilton and Winnipeg push those numbers up. Because the other places have capacity ceilings that are not that much higher than Ottawa's avg attendance.

That being said I also think Ottawas attendance might sink this year. So I'd give an edge to CPL.

58 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Didn't say anything about it not being clear. The meaning was obvious. If even just one CanPL team averages under 2000 the league could have massive problems. That's what makes the poll overly simplistic because the comparison on averages won't tell the full story.

It is a simple poll on a simple question. How is that simplistic? "Simplistic" implies it is ignoring complexity but there is no complexity to ignore.

It isn't trying to tell a story, it is just asking a simple question.

I'm no expert on the Fury, but I think their attendance will fall into an average range of CPL.

I'm not expecting huge crowds for Valour, simply because the Bombers have done absolutely NOTHING in the past six months.  They have been invisible and spent zero on marketing.

Despite this, Valour are rumoured to have sold just over 2000 season tickets to date.

18 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I'm no expert on the Fury, but I think their attendance will fall into an average range of CPL.

I'm not expecting huge crowds for Valour, simply because the Bombers have done absolutely NOTHING in the past six months.  They have been invisible and spent zero on marketing.

Despite this, Valour are rumoured to have sold just over 2000 season tickets to date.

That's disappointing considering the hot start they got out to. 

Edmonton averaged 3400 their last year in NASL.

Think the CPL will average in the 4000-5000 range for 2019, Ottawa in USL averaged 4752 last year, so it will likely be close.

With the way Ottawa Fury Management has been spewing the rhetoric though I suspect they will want to look good vs CPL so suspect they may up the amount of free tickets given away to drive up the announced numbers.

1 minute ago, matty said:

i think it needs to be said but are we talking paid attendance or general? iirc ottawa give a way 1k+ tickets for free a game while fce gave away under 200 a game or something

Presumably "announced attendance" since that is likely to be the only number we will have.

42 minutes ago, matty said:

oh no ottawa's gonna win with lies and free tickets lol

And that would be what they call a pyrrhic victory!

The poll is probably supposed to imply that CanPL having a higher announced overall average than the Fury would demonstrate that CanPL has proved the Fury wrong in some way and that the overall CanPL average crowd is the key metric for judging whether that's the case.

There are CanPL teams like Halifax and the Forge that appear to be doing very well, others that appear to be fair to middling and at least one that looks like it could be a bit of a fiasco. It's that last bit that's potentially problematic when there are only 7 rather than 36 teams involved. Having one of those and possibly a couple of other obvious underformers below the average and off the pace in break even terms would allow the Fury to say look at that we were right to steer clear that league isn't stable.

CanPL needs all seven franchises to do reasonably well and still have solid reasons to believe that they will be successful in average crowd terms eventually around a year or so from now if a high rate of season ticket renewal rates has emerged. If that happens I think the Fury will be under huge pressure to move from their own supporters even if they still have a somewhat higher announced average, and it will make David Clanachan's subtle as a sledgehammer threat of a CanPL rival emerging in the Ottawa market if they don't much more credible.

Think the most important crowd numbers this summer will be those for York 9, the Cavalry and Pacific FC and it will be how close those are to the 5000 or so on average range that the Fury will probably announce that will be the key to what happens next.

12 hours ago, Copes said:

Ah thats a bummer. I thought Valour were doing better. That said, whats the general feeling? I know HFX is doing great. As is Hamilton. York seems a little slow. What were Edmonton's numbers last year? 

The general feeling is very positive for those that actually know about the club and league.

I'm coaching an indoor game today, and I can guarantee you, even with the facility packed, there will be no Valour booth.

It's been like that all season.  Really pathetic.

I see photo's of clubs like Forge & HFX out in the community, marketing and selling.........none of that has happened here.

One problem for the Ottawa Fury is the locals clubs don’t support it. That’s mostly on the local clubs and their miopic view of their small kingdom which is actually a bigger problem for Canadian soccer. 

How are local clubs reacting to CPL squads moving in?  Are any CPL organizations talking about starting up either youth programs?

8 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

One problem for the Ottawa Fury is the locals clubs don’t support it. That’s mostly on the local clubs and their miopic view of their small kingdom which is actually a bigger problem for Canadian soccer. 

How are local clubs reacting to CPL squads moving in?  Are any CPL organizations talking about starting up either youth programs?

Yup that has been a problem forever it seems with local youth soccer clubs and their relationship with their local pro club in the area. This was a problem I remember even as far back as the old CSL , where it seemed like some people running these youth clubs never saw or wanted any type of connection to the pro club. Hopefully this is changing and the mentality is changing because in the end for the young players who have aspirations and dreams of going on to play at higher levels playing for the local pro club should be what they should be striving for .

Archived