Jump to content

Dual Nationals Part 2 - Canada + ?


Recommended Posts

Hi all

Jack Hutchinson here, no relation to your legendary midfielder.

Nerd Alert topic

I am fascinated by dual nationalities. As a casual hobby, I am assisting some minor nations by scouring footballing databases (IE Transfermarkt) and global forum boards for prospective players in our beloved game who could qualify (if certain FIFA criteria are met) for international competition. 

The storming success of the new CONCACAF Nations League tourney has led me to further a journey that began as a small hobby, into a more serious task.

You have a great thread already - here, regarding players who could well one day represent your nation.

 

 

My research is into Canadian nationals, who could well be interested, and if qualify, for nations a little further afield.

As an example, a very recent, almost within the last 24 hours,  hot topic is Stephen Eustaquio, of Portuguese decent. I have extensive data built up into some nations with Portuguese ties such as Cape Verde & Guinea Bissau.

I am also compiling data on nations such as..... ( a very eclectic mix) 

Barbados, Cayman Islands, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Equatorial Guinea, The Gambia, Guadeloupe, Guam, Haiti,  Hong Kong , Iraq, Martinique, Mozambique, The Philippines, Reunion, Suriname and more. 

My goal is to source potential talent for more minor nations who are possibly based in Canada - i do realise some of these nations are rivals to Canada in the CONCACAF region!

For Example, a Mr Justin Springer is a full St Kitts International, and has signed a contract this season for the CPL.

So, if we have any knowledge on guys who may have heritage further afield, i am looking into dual nationals of Canada + ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Circular logic.  

I like it, some of the faithful growing some balls and telling this cunt ass player poacher to suck his own nut sack. Stay strong V's.

@BeslynsJMH I’m trying hard to understand your point. Are you suggesting that all the statements you quoted are wrong because a guy trying to recruit players to CPL mentioned that they could “theoreti

14 minutes ago, Jmhutchinson said:

So, if we have any knowledge on guys who may have heritage further afield, i am looking into dual nationals of Canada + ?

I feel like there's a good chance you're already aware of him, but the first name that came to mind for me is Ottawa Fury central midfielder Jamar Dixon, whose mother is Barbadian. He has three caps for Canada, but all of them were in friendlies so he is still eligible for a one-time switch.

I'm kind of surprised that he hasn't switched already, because at this point he really has no chance of ever making the Canada roster again (he hasn't been called up since January 2017 and our midfield depth is far greater now than it was then) and he's a very solid player in a position where Barbados really lacks quality and depth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

No offence, but I am not helping you recruit Canadian dual nationals for our rivals :) 

None taken, but looking out for the little guys further down the chain, your Montserrats, Arubas and Grenadians!  . A more competitive region will breed a higher level of quality!

Im a Liverpool fan, and loving that we have Liam Millar on our books. We picked up Kai McKenzie-Lyle for our U23 squad who is the Guyana goalie! ( And goalscorer!) 

I have personal ties to Bermuda and Cayman Islands, having seen a handful break though for Bermuda since the days of Kyle Lightbourne and Shaun Goater,  i wish for my Cayman to have a handful of established professional players!

In the past i have scoured for Canadian dual nationals, but nowadays you guys are big enough to look after yourselves! ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zem said:

I feel like there's a good chance you're already aware of him, but the first name that came to mind for me is Ottawa Fury central midfielder Jamar Dixon, whose mother is Barbadian. He has three caps for Canada, but all of them were in friendlies so he is still eligible for a one-time switch.

I'm kind of surprised that he hasn't switched already, because at this point he really has no chance of ever making the Canada roster again (he hasn't been called up since January 2017 and our midfield depth is far greater now than it was then) and he's a very solid player in a position where Barbados really lacks quality and depth.

This is the material im after! excellent input.

In England we have many a scenario like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada has ""donated"" enough talent to the rest of the world already! A starting XI made up of Canadians who declined to play for Canada would be pretty strong and very depressing.

With regards to minnows, it happens. We already gave Guyana their most prolific striker (6 goals in 8 appearances), Emery Welshman. True, he probably wouldn't have made an 'A' Canada side but that's all you get!

Now get out! 
(just kidding ;))

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately for us Canadian fans, http://www.canucks-abroad.ca/ also lists other nationalities. When I added L1O to it, along with upcoming PLSQ, I came across many many dual nationalities: Afghans, Eritreans, S. Koreans, Albanians, Ghanians, and many many Jamaicans/Guyanese players.

In fact, other than Springer, we have national team players from countries like India, Eritrea, and Taiwan (recent one) in the league.

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Unfortunately for us Canadian fans, http://www.canucks-abroad.ca/ also lists other nationalities. When I added L1O to it, along with upcoming PLSQ, I came across many many dual nationalities: Afghans, Eritreans, S. Koreans, Albanians, Ghanians, and many many Jamaicans/Guyanese players.

In fact, other than Springer, we have national team players from countries like India, Eritrea, and Taiwan (recent one) in the league.

For me, thats a cool spreadsheet. Thanks

With the growth of your very own Premier League, hopefully some established pros will arise who are good but not good enough to make the cut for the Canada NT, but could well benefit a minor nation, your Eritrea, Afghanistan or Bhutan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jmhutchinson said:

For me, thats a cool spreadsheet. Thanks

With the growth of your very own Premier League, hopefully some established pros will arise who are good but not good enough to make the cut for the Canada NT, but could well benefit a minor nation, your Eritrea, Afghanistan or Bhutan

 

a fair and reasonable point methinks

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Oh fuck off, leave the CPL alone ?

 

5 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

If you call it “your CPL” I don’t think you really belong on a Canadian national team forum...

 

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

7 posts, 5 of them in a thread about poaching dual nationals for other teams.  Pretty sure you are correct.

Love the attitude...

Can see why your football is so far behind if this its the feeling towards your regional competitors

The point is, if you develop your regional international competition, you will surely improve. 

From a foreigner looking in, is it not embarrassing that a nation like Canada cannot reach the same levels of tiny Caribbean islands?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jmhutchinson

Our region has developed leaps and bounds in the last 20 years without our help, I don't think we need to help develop our region at the cost of losing potential players.

In my personal view, Canada's level in the last 20 years has been poor because our best players have been consistently poached by other national programs.  And I'm not just talking one or two guys, so as a group we are sensitive regarding this topic. 

Further, our player pool is just not wide or strong enough for us to be encouraging fringe players to join other programs.  Canadian players are notoriously late bloomers, so you must understand that we really can't afford to let anyone with any kind of international potential go to another program. 

I don't think you'll get much assistance here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jmhutchinson said:

 

Love the attitude...

Can see why your football is so far behind if this its the feeling towards your regional competitors

The point is, if you develop your regional international competition, you will surely improve. 

From a foreigner looking in, is it not embarrassing that a nation like Canada cannot reach the same levels of tiny Caribbean islands?

Lol. So we are supposed to help you recruit Canadian dual nationals so that other countries can get stronger, which will eventually force us to compete harder and be better?  Sure.  Interesting long term plan.  In the meantime, you are looking for potential dual nationals in CPL, a developmental league where many, many players will not have reached their full potential (ie. Anyone good enough to play international footy for another country may be a late bloomer that could potentially help our program). 

it isn't our job to develop our regional competition - it is theirs.  And in case you haven't noticed, we haven't made the latter stages of WCQ in decades, so we aren't exactly a  powerhouse that can engage in footy foreign aid.   Our efforts to develop the footy capacity of a country should be firmly focused internally, not externally.  And while @Vince193 may think no one useful may get poached, I disagree. I have already read about young guys getting picked up by CONCACAF rivals who could very much develop into potential CMNT-level players (some Haitian keeper whose name I can't recall was the most recent example).  And those guys are free to make that choice.  But I am sure as fuck not going to assist in that process.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 7:17 AM, Vince193 said:

Ya there is a lot of guys who can eventually play for other countires. The Baldisimo brothers are eligible for the Philippines for example, and I'm not sure how much they will factor into Canada's plans beyond youth level so that's something to keep an eye on.

56bccfe42e52651d008b6a53-750.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 22, 2019 at 10:59 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Canada has ""donated"" enough talent to the rest of the world already! A starting XI made up of Canadians who declined to play for Canada would be pretty strong and very depressing.

This statement could not be more true. If someone actually bothered to do a Starting XI with Subs I cannot imagine how good the team would actually be

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...