Canadians abroad: February 22-28, 2019

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 22-28, 2019.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Gent scores David with the assist

Impressive first half from Jonathan, his pace, dribbling and pressing is giving the opposition all sorts of headaches. The more I watch him play as a attacking mid/second striker, the more i'm convinced that it's the best position for him. Had a great chance to open the scoring in the 20th min. Picked up the ball just outside the 18 yard box before dancing his way through the defense, found himself 1-on-1 with Ochoa, and forced a good save from the keeper.

His assist came from a tidy piece of play as well; great run down the right side before cutting in with a couple step overs and then squaring the ball to his strike partner, who slotted into the bottom corner.

10 minutes ago, ghostknownunknown said:

Impressive first half from Jonathan, his pace, dribbling and pressing is giving the opposition all sorts of headaches. The more I watch him play as a attacking mid/second striker, the more i'm convinced that it's the best position for him. Had a great chance to open the scoring in the 20th min. Picked up the ball just outside the 18 yard box before dancing his way through the defense, found himself 1-on-1 with Ochoa, and forced a good save from the keeper.

His assist came from a tidy piece of play as well; great run down the right side before cutting in with a couple step overs and then squaring the ball to his strike partner, who slotted into the bottom corner.

We don't use one atm with Canada and I don't know if Herdman will play with a #10 or a SS. If that's the case then he'll probably come of the bench with Cavallini the locked in starter.

14 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

We don't use one atm with Canada and I don't know if Herdman will play with a #10 or a SS. If that's the case then he'll probably come of the bench with Cavallini the locked in starter.

While that may be the case, I see him as a potential alternative to Osorio if we're playing a more counter attacking style with 2 defensive mids.

Something along the lines of this:

lineup (1).png

36 minutes ago, ghostknownunknown said:

While that may be the case, I see him as a potential alternative to Osorio if we're playing a more counter attacking style with 2 defensive mids.

Something along the lines of this:

lineup (1).png

Yes x100.  This lineup is so flexible as it can work through the different phases of a match no problem. 

Even crazier when you realize you’ve left off Hutchinson, Osorio, Kaye, Eustaquio etc.

Jonathan David is just a good, solid footballer who we should want in the middle of the park.  He’s not flashy like some of our other guys but he’s just a good piece for any team to have - he’s going to go to the top of the game.

3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Curious why you think Cavalllini is the locked in starter? He's never been our locked in starter to this point. It's my opinion he should start but there is no evidence that he has that position locked down.

14 hours ago, johnyb said:

Curious why you think Cavalllini is the locked in starter? He's never been our locked in starter to this point. It's my opinion he should start but there is no evidence that he has that position locked down.

He’s the only true #9 we have that’s playing 90 minutes week in, week out. Plus his hold up play is second to none among our player pool. Considering the plethora of attacking options in midfield and on the wings, Cavallini’s ability to bring those players in to the play makes him our number one option for the time being. He has strength and touch to go into the the trenches with the likes of Hector Moreno and John Brooks and come out with the ball. I’m not confident that either David or Larin are up to that task yet. 

2 hours ago, ghostknownunknown said:

He’s the only true #9 we have that’s playing 90 minutes week in, week out. Plus his hold up play is second to none among our player pool. Considering the plethora of attacking options in midfield and on the wings, Cavallini’s ability to bring those players in to the play makes him our number one option for the time being. He has strength and touch to go into the the trenches with the like of Hector Moreno and John Brooks and come out with the ball. I’m not confident that either David or Larin are up to that task yet. 

Yeah or short, he's just the best option.

I think Cavallini is the best candidate to be our starting striker based on his club play but I don't think he has the position locked down with Canada. I think to lock down the position you have to be consistently playing well and scoring against good quality opposition. We can all think of players who had good club careers but disappointed with Canada. Cavallini isn't a lock on the starting striker through any fault of his own though, he has not been able to establish himself because we do not play many games and when we have played recently it has been against weak opposition. Hopefully he will do that once we start playing good teams which likely will not be until the Gold Cup. I personally think this is very poor preparation for the Gold Cup and those are questions that should be answered before the tournament begins by playing games.

Bulgaria

Dom Iankov is on the bench for Ludogorets against Cherno More. Remained on the bench in a 1-0 loss.

England

Leutwiler is the backup against Birmingham

Scotland

Simeon Jackson is on the St. Mirren bench for todays match with Hearts. Played the final 27 in a 1-1 draw.

Wotherspoon starts against Aberdeen. Played 72 in a 2-0 loss.

Liam Millar is on the Kilmarnock bench for today's match with Livingston. Played the last 7 in a 1-0 loss. 

Charlie Trafford is on the Inverness bench for today's match Morton. Played the last 7 in a 1-0 win

Harry Paton is on the Ross County bench for today's match with Partick Thistle. Remained on the bench in a 4-2 win.

Zanatta starts for Alloa while Aird is on the bench for QoS on the other side. Zanatta played 90 in a late 2-1 win, while Fraser Aird played the last 28 minutes.

Serbia

Borjan starts against Radnik. Another clean sheet, 1-0 final.

So a little frustrated with Liam’s playing time at the moment but happy he got on again. The club has gone through a rough patch with 3 games in 7 days and another Wednesday vs Motherwell. Tough to throw in youngsters when results are going your way but he is banging in the door. 

Ive told the boy to just keep at it. Hope again for a start Wednesday... 

Archived