2019 CONCACAF U17 Championship

Kent

56 minutes ago, 1996 said:

What I find strange about these kind of results and I’ve seen this in the past too, so an under 17 TFC Academy beats an U17 team like a Penerol. However, then a good portion of these same players go play on the U17 Canadian national team and have trouble beating Caribbean minnow Island teams or even an El Salvador or a Guatemala and crash out of the U17 World Cup Qualifying. You would think a Peñarol U17 team from Uruguay a country that produces players like Canada produces hockey players is much much better than most of these CONCACAF countries that Canada faces in these youth World Cup qualifying tournaments.

It could be that the TFC academy is one of 4 pro clubs (3 MLS and FC Ed) with academies in Canada, and Uruguay have 16 teams in their top tier, and another 15 in their second tier, presumably all or most of those teams have academies. So in a match between TFC and Penarol we are putting a large portion of our talent pool against a much smaller portion of their national level talent pool.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

It could be that the TFC academy is one of 4 pro clubs (3 MLS and FC Ed) with academies in Canada, and Uruguay have 16 teams in their top tier, and another 15 in their second tier, presumably all or most of those teams have academies. So in a match between TFC and Penarol we are putting a large portion of our talent pool against a much smaller portion of their national level talent pool.

I get it however , I’m still betting this Peñarol team if entered in the upcoming U17 CONCACAF World Cup qualifying tournament would most likely be better than most of these U17 CONCACAF national teams. But yet these same TFC Academy players will struggle playing a minnow CONCACAF country in qualifying  like they have in the past.

It is interesting.  The skill level I see among the young elite players - even in a small province like PEI - is off the charts compared to what I saw 10-15 years ago.  Kids are coming up through the ranks with ridiculous skills, and a desire to play attacking footy where they drive at (and past) defenders.  I may be naive and just not as aware of the phenoms who went through the system in years past, but I think our growing infrastructure, huge registration numbers and tendency to stream top players into more elite training and developmental pathways is going to pay off in the next decade or so (and from then on).  I know other countries have also continued to grow their programs but I can't help but think that we may have closed the gap quite a bit.  And with CPL coming online and offering hopefully another strong domestic pathway for talented young players, I think we will only continue to get better.   

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is interesting.  The skill level I see among the young elite players - even in a small province like PEI - is off the charts compared to what I saw 10-15 years ago.  Kids are coming up through the ranks with ridiculous skills, and a desire to play attacking footy where they drive at (and past) defenders.  I may be naive and just not as aware of the phenoms who went through the system in years past, but I think our growing infrastructure, huge registration numbers and tendency to stream top players into more elite training and developmental pathways is going to pay off in the next decade or so (and from then on).  I know other countries have also continued to grow their programs but I can't help but think that we may have closed the gap quite a bit.  And with CPL coming online and offering hopefully another strong domestic pathway for talented young players, I think we will only continue to get better.   

Absolutely. 

There is a generation of golden age people who talk like the NASL era was the height of soccer here.   Not a chance.  These kids coming up are light years ahead of kids decades ago.  No comparison. 

Just now, shamrock said:

Surely the roster for this team id due to come out this week, no? Simon Colin had to drop out the Adidas Cup yesterday, I guess he's a question mark now. 

What's up with the EDIT option btw? I wanted to correct Colyn but I can't...

14 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

On the Adidas Cup, what a bizarre format. The Caps go 5 - 0 without conceding and a +14 goal difference, and yet don't make the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Colorado team that they beat and that lost twice, make it through. 

Wut?

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

How is that even possible?

4 groups. 5 teams in each group. Teams in group A play all the teams in group B. Teams in group C play the teams in group D. Teams do not play the other teams in their own group. Top team in each group goes through.  In the Caps case, they were in group C and played and beat all the teams in group D, scoring 14 and giving up none. Unfortunately for them, Columbus did the same, but scoring 15 and giving up 1. Columbus scooped 1st place on goals scored . More perversely, the group d team that lost to both the Caps and Columbus made it through as the top team in group d. 

Strangest tourney format I have come across. Kind of Concacafy  

1 hour ago, Soro17 said:

4 groups. 5 teams in each group. Teams in group A play all the teams in group B. Teams in group C play the teams in group D. Teams do not play the other teams in their own group. Top team in each group goes through.  In the Caps case, they were in group C and played and beat all the teams in group D, scoring 14 and giving up none. Unfortunately for them, Columbus did the same, but scoring 15 and giving up 1. Columbus scooped 1st place on goals scored . More perversely, the group d team that lost to both the Caps and Columbus made it through as the top team in group d. 

You should never be able to go out of a tournament when you win all your games.  Crazy

9 hours ago, Soro17 said:

What sadistic bastard dreams up a thing like that?

This format has been used before as in the 2015 Pacific Nations rugby tournament (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_World_Rugby_Pacific_Nations_Cup ). I see the the advantages of an additional match (as in the example) and playing common opponents but it does take some getting used to.

Update on the Dallas Cup and Generation Adidas tournament. Both tournaments probably the most prestigious tournaments we have here in North America. The Dallas Cup especially where many former and present day international soccer stars played in as youth players. TFC Academy U12 boys win Dallas Cup U12 division over FC Dallas MLS Academy U12 boys 3-0 in the final . TFC U16 boys win 1-0 in their final winning the U16 boys Dallas Cup. TFC boys U15 boys lose their Genneration Adidas Final on penalty kicks to Chivas Guadalajara.