TFC CCL 2019

Club Linesman

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

That. was. brutal.

100%. This thread dies in a hurry.  

No attack. Piss poor defence and a bunch of guys who didn’t think they needed to show up to win. Vanney doesn’t look as smart without two world class players.  Had no answers.  Has our moment in the sun burned up so quickly?

Curtis and Manning may need to sign Messi.

It almost felt like they were trying to throw this game and the series. I mean for a good chunk of the 2nd half we were playing a 4-3-3 with the front three being 3 teenagers, two of whom were playing their first pro game and the other who has only scored against USL competition. Maybe Hamilton Telfer Chapman and heck even Endoh aren't  going to be starters this year but cripes they had to be better options than Morrow and Dorsey up front. And the way Bradley and the back line played you could be forgiven for thinking they didn't care. Yeah I get that they are out of shape and in pre season (hence all the stupid hopeless slide tackles that led to goals) but even so there wasn't much emotion back there. The promise of Shaffelburg ( who did more in his first minute than Dorsey did the whole game) was the only positive of the match.

Does it matter? MLS is all one big club with 24 different squads. It's a non-competitive intramural "league" having inter-office scrimmages all season. Didn't the result wake you up about how phony MLS really is?? MLS is not designed to compete internationally but instead in their own insular bubble that's completely out of touch with the real soccer world. IS THIS GOOD FOR CANADA??

8 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Right now Panama's league is better than MLS. A LOT BETTER. And TFC is MLS's best side in this competition.

TFC without Giovinco, Vasquez and Altidore are not the best side by any stretch of the imagination. Do you base Panama having a stronger league then MLS because their Champions beat a MLS team that didnt make the playoffs and lost their top players in the off season?

35 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

TFC without Giovinco, Vasquez and Altidore are not the best side by any stretch of the imagination. Do you base Panama having a stronger league then MLS because their Champions beat a MLS team that didnt make the playoffs and lost their top players in the off season

Don't feed the troll

A very poor effort byTFC, Vanney has to take loads of blame for the way he set the team up and how he didn’t adjust, what was he thinking? The starting front 3 were rubbish with Dorsey looking  every bit an NCAA  player, Boyd looking a lower division journeyman and Morrow looking like a defender played out of position! Speaking of defending or lack thereof, that was brutal as well, it might be another difficult season for TFC, in saying all of this I’m not sure the tie is completely over yet, these Panamanians are not gonna like Toronto in February!

47 minutes ago, gator said:

A very poor effort byTFC, Vanney has to take loads of blame for the way he set the team up and how he didn’t adjust, what was he thinking? The starting front 3 were rubbish with Dorsey looking  every bit an NCAA  player, Boyd looking a lower division journeyman and Morrow looking like a defender played out of position! Speaking of defending or lack thereof, that was brutal as well, it might be another difficult season for TFC, in saying all of this I’m not sure the tie is completely over yet, these Panamanians are not gonna like Toronto in February!

True, but I could see a situation where TFC completely outplays the Independiente at home but can't score because they don't have anyone right now who can score (or won't play anyone who can score). Yes, Osorio can but it will be much more difficult for him when he's the sole threat out there.

The morning (mourning?) after I still can't help shake the feeling that somewhere in the upper echelons MLSE has told them not to focus on this tourney so much, or maybe I want to think that so as to understand why we were playing so many 3rd string players ahead of even the more experience second stringers (not to mention playing 1st stringers way out of position). And based on last night, a 4-3-3 isn't going to work with Bradley as a sole DM and Delgado playing as an attacking mid. Ciman looks like he is taking part of Bradley's role of launching attacks from the back while the stats show that Bradley didn't make a single interception of a pass or a successful tackle to take the ball away, which means he was completely ineffective in that role and didn't cover anywhere near the amount of ground necessary. To be fair to Delgado he was in part hampered by having a winger on his side (Dorsey) who didn't know what he was doing out there, and who hadn't played much in pre-season because that's were De Leon was (which is why it would have made more sense to go with some experienced professionals in that role than starting an NCAA kid in his first game - maybe he will go on to be a good player but he looked tentative and clueless out there).

5 minutes ago, gator said:

Where were Hamilton, Telfer and Fraser, surely they could have contributed more than wat Vanney had on the pitch?

or Chapman!  On the plus side, it took Shaffelburg less than 5 minutes to put in the best cross of the night.

Chapman and Fraser were on the bench - I can understand why Fraser didn't start in a 4-3-3 with Bradley, Delgado and Osorio as the 3 central midfielders. Dorsey starting over Chapman can only be based on Chapman not being a proper winger, but based on what we saw from Dorsey, Chapman still would have been the better option, or even Endoh for that spot. And I haven't heard any reports from the press nor did anyone on TSN give an indication that Telfer or Hamilton were injured (when they have all reported that this was the case for DeLeon, Altidore, Moor and Zavaleta), so it just seems that they weren't dressed - in favour of playing players completely out of position (Morrow) or players who haven't proven yet they can score at the MLS level (Boyd & Akinola). We can judge the results for ourselves.

Vanney said post match that the game was an embarrassment and he learned a lot from what he saw. Hopefully he makes a whack of changes for the next match.

47 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

They should use a 4-2-3-1 formation until they get the right personnel. Bradley isn't good enough defensively to be on an island by himself. 

Bradley was isolated, but the issue is not that he can't play as a loan defensive midfielder (if that's what you mean), the issue was that Osorio and Delgado were playing far too high as twin no. 10's, and surely were instructed to do so by Vanney.

Again, this is forcing square pegs in a round hole. Osorio is not a no.10, he is an 8 and so is Delgado. Playing those 3 together works when you have Seba and Jozy to play the ball into, but not with a front 3 of Dorsey-Boyd-Morrow. Nobody to create anything.

Osorio would be brilliant alongside Pozuelo. I said it once and I'll say it again: Osorio thrives when he has creative players to combine with. 

When/if Pozuelo comes, I expect Oso to be the no. 8, Bradley to be the sole defensive mid, and Pozuelo to be the attacking centre midfielder. Delgado will return to the bench as a substitute for Oso, Chapman for Pozuelo and Fraser for Bradley.

44 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

They should use a 4-2-3-1 formation until they get the right personnel. Bradley isn't good enough defensively to be on an island by himself. 

Fraser paired with Bradley in front of a back 4 has got to be better than what we we witnessed last night, Tuesday will have to be an attacking lineup obviously, Vanney was very naive last night!

I know everyone in Toronto loves Bradley for his captain cares attitude but he's so slow and old now. Also Vanney is the worst. If your team is just coming together and your down in a tough environment. Why not just put Fraser in next to Bradley with Boyd. Tell the fullbacks to stay home. Put the young Ayo up top to run around on the counter and just get the hell out of there with a draw or whatever. Vanney sucks, get ready for coach Carl Robinson toronto fans

41 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Oh.. and maybe tfc should stop worrying about getting a superstar and go and get a decent backline

Well if you listen to some people on her Mavinga is one of MLS best.  Ciman was a top MLS CB just a few years ago, VDW and Auro are good fullbacks.  Moor should still be able to give some cover if needed but shouldnt be expected to take alot of starts.  They have the foundation of a good defense, but I think you really have to blame the coaching.  If Vanney cant motivate these guys and work them into a system with the d-mids that brings out some of the strengths that are there,  than the answer isnt bringing in more players.  

10 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

TFC without Giovinco, Vasquez and Altidore are not the best side by any stretch of the imagination. Do you base Panama having a stronger league then MLS because their Champions beat a MLS team that didnt make the playoffs and lost their top players in the off season?

You're giving excuses for MLS squads having really shallow talent beyond 3 players and are not set up to compete but put on a cheap show like WWE. And it shouldn't be called TFC, because it's not a club but an outlet of MLS. So from now on, instead of TFC, it's MLS Toronto.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:19 PM, SpursFlu said:

Mavinga sucks

Now that's a hot take!

I don't think Mavinga is one of the top CBs in the league, like some MLS pundits. I would confidently put him in the next echelon after that, however.

As for Ciman, one of his main defensive strengths is stepping up from the backline to make interceptions. He anticipates very well.

Thing is, this is Bradley's strength also, albeit from a defensive midfield position.

Bradley and Ciman both potentially gambling in this way makes me nervous, and although Mavinga has the speed for that excellent recovery defending he is known for, I would rather have a pairing who doesn't get stretched out of shape.

Archived