Canadians abroad: February 15-21, 2019

Stryker911

13 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Same old? Cornelius has what, 4 caps lol. And zero goals against in any appearance for a +/- of like +15. Early days I know tho ha. 

We've played 3 shit teams and New Zealand where nothing happened. This was all within the last year and really he's done nothing to show he's worth it over two proven pros who are playing consistently on their respective teams in 3rd division Germany. Now obviously that's a short time frame and I obviously haven't watched Hainnault and Straith play but I think if they are getting picked to be captains they are better than Cornelius and possibly Henry who is known for a mistake.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ghostknownunknown said:

Playing as an attacking mid once again.

I only watched the second half, but from what I saw Gent were frustratingly poor in the final third. That being said, David was a brighter spot, creating a couple chances and he had a low driven shot that the keeper spilled. The national team has proven talent on the wings with the likes of Phonzie, Hoillet and Tabla, but we aren't as deep centrally, making David's ability to play as a 10 an asset.

4 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

We've played 3 shit teams and New Zealand where nothing happened. This was all within the last year and really he's done nothing to show he's worth it over two proven pros who are playing consistently on their respective teams in 3rd division Germany. Now obviously that's a short time frame and I obviously haven't watched Hainnault and Straith play but I think if they are getting picked to be captains they are better than Cornelius and possibly Henry who is known for a mistake.

Obviously you haven't followed Cornelius to closely to think that. League level doesn't mean everything. 

4 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Obviously you haven't followed Cornelius to closely to think that. League level doesn't mean everything. 

Last I checked Cornelius wasn't playing for Javor, obviously he's transferred to Vancouver but I don't think he's a guarantee to play and yes he is young and has great potential, but I'd rather we play the players who are good now, not the ones who will be in a couple years.

11 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Last I checked Cornelius wasn't playing for Javor, obviously he's transferred to Vancouver but I don't think he's a guarantee to play and yes he is young and has great potential, but I'd rather we play the players who are good now, not the ones who will be in a couple years.

They followed the right process. They brought him in to U-23, he dominated. So they brought him into a first team camp to try him out, obviously he played his way into a starting role. If he was one of the best CBs at the last camp, why wouldn’t they continue to bring him? He earned it at Canada camps, not in club competition.

15 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

He was a starter for Javor in the Serbian 1st division. Clearly when Javor relegated and he stopped playing for them it was not because he was not good enough to play in Serbian 2nd division and had to do with other things such as wanting a transfer which a situation that  often causes the current club to cut players playing time. At a very young age Cornelius was playing at a level as good or better than what Straith or Hainault are playing at. Also watching the three of them, Cornelius is physically faster and moves better and has a much higher technical ability than the other two. It is true with the national team he has not faced any high competition but that applies to all of our players in the last year and a half (and yes this is unacceptable but not the fault of Cornelius or any other player). At the same time even though the opposition was not strong he looked pretty good in the games as he did also against good competition at the U23 level which is something we can not say for every other player in those games. We will also have a better idea of his playing level once he starts playing for the Caps.

Our CB pool is not strong or deep so I and probably most people here would agree we should not forget about Straith and Hainault and they should be called at some point and have a chance to show if they have improved and are better than anyone who has recently been playing for us, Cornelius included. No one would have a problem with your post if that was all you were advocating. However, criticizing the use of Cornelius is unwarranted and one of the few things I agree with Herdman doing so far. Straith and Hainault might be useful as a stop gap measure but Cornelius has way more potential to be the level of CB we need in the future so his development should be a priority. The problem causing Straith and Hainault not to be selected is not that Cornelius is being selected in favour of them, it is that we are not playing very many games which again is unacceptable and disappointing that the CSA's wonderboy has either not pressed for or not had enough clout for us to be playing more often.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

They lost 1-0 late.. Millar was outside the box with Brown and didn’t track him.  Was a very quick play though.

True he switched off for a moment but the shot was going well over the bar before the deflection off of Alex Bruce.. but he will learn and improve... Trial by fire just throw in there but growing leaps and bounds every day...Scott Brown who scored the goal has player 330 times for Celtic and 55 times for Scotland that's some experience...Liam is playing first team football all be it 10/15 minutes at a time but against pretty good experienced opposition and doing well, not looking out of his depth at all...he has featured in all 4 games he has been eligible for...There are two more games this week 1 Wednesday vs Rangers and 1 vs Livingston on Saturday should get a start this week we hope he is close...

But its about the education and the journey..it's his first loan after all..

I will keep updating!!

50000 on Wednesday at Ibrox!!!!

47 minutes ago, spitfire said:

True he switched off for a moment but the shot was going well over the bar before the deflection off of Alex Bruce.. but he will learn and improve... Trial by fire just throw in there but growing leaps and bounds every day...Scott Brown who scored the goal has player 330 times for Celtic and 55 times for Scotland that's some experience...Liam is playing first team football all be it 10/15 minutes at a time but against pretty good experienced opposition and doing well, not looking out of his depth at all...he has featured in all 4 games he has been eligible for...There are two more games this week 1 Wednesday vs Rangers and 1 vs Livingston on Saturday should get a start this week we hope he is close...

But its about the education and the journey..it's his first loan after all..

I will keep updating!!

50000 on Wednesday at Ibrox!!!!

Has Liam been in contact with Scotty since arriving in Scotland? I imagine it would be a little bit more exciting facing off against a fellow CanMNT player!

15 minutes ago, spitfire said:

They exchanged text when he first came up but been pretty quite and professionall since Liam said. They do take their football very serious today. Almost 12000 today at the game and 8000 we Celtic supporters. Crazy atmosphere!!

Can someone explain why Celtic supporters get such a large amount of the home teams stadium. I was watching another game recently and they seem to take up about 75% of Livingston's stadium.

48 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Can someone explain why Celtic supporters get such a large amount of the home teams stadium. I was watching another game recently and they seem to take up about 75% of Livingston's stadium.

Biggest team in Scotland, and Livingston is only a 30 or so minute drive away.

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I know but away fans usually only get a small portion of the seats 

As Buzz said it's all about the money, clubs tend to charge more for away supporters and if the home team is not going to fill the stands of course the club will sell the seats!

15 minutes ago, gator said:

As Buzz said it's all about the money, clubs tend to charge more for away supporters and if the home team is not going to fill the stands of course the club will sell the seats!

I'd guess Livingston fans probably bought the tix and made a mark up selling to Celtic fans.

Archived