-----------------------------

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette
Governor General of Canada
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A1

Dear Governor-General Payette,

I am writing to you today to ask that you consider the sponsorship, creation and donation of a trophy to crown the winner of the newly formed Canadian Premier League.

This national professional soccer league officially started in the spring of this year, and has now crowned its first champion - Forge FC of Hamilton, Ontario. However, the inaugural trophy that was awarded this year is a single-year trophy that is not intended to establish a permanent and persistent symbol within the league.  While it is an award that will represent years of hard work to the players and staff that lift it, there remains an opportunity to create a trophy that would establish a lasting legacy worthy of this new league.  

This is a significant moment for the sport of soccer in this country.  With the continued trend of more kids registering in minor soccer than minor hockey, soccer has truly become Canada’s game.  The sustained success of our women’s national team over the last decade helped ignite the imaginations of Canadians, who now recognize the monumental achievements of a player like Christine Sinclair. The men’s side is now making waves with exciting players like Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David, who are part of a youth movement that will provide a strong platform for future success.  In seven years, Canada will co-host the world’s largest single-sport event, the 2026 World Cup.  And now, the launch of the Canadian Premier League (a coast to coast league that is “for Canadians, by Canadians”) has built on this inertia and is achieving early success with strong fan and corporate support.   As a long standing fan of the sport, I am happy to say that we seem to be on the verge of a relative golden age for Canadian soccer.

The time is therefore opportune to establish a bold legacy within this new league.  There is a longstanding tradition within Rideau Hall whereby Governors General recognize excellence in Canadian sport - both amateur and professional.  Arguably our country’s most recognizable contribution in this respect was provided by a former Governor General, His Excellency Lord Stanley of Preston, whose name has been immortalized in the hearts and minds of Canadian hockey fans.   For the Canadian Football League, His Excellency Albert Henry George Grey donated what has come to be known as the Grey Cup, which has been awarded since 1909.  His Excellency, Major General Georges-Philéas Vanier donated the Vanier Cup, which has crowned the champion of Canadian University Football since 1965.  And in the modern era, the Clarkson Cup was created by Her Excellency Adrienne Louise Clarkson in 2009 to recognize the winner of the Canadian Women's Hockey Championship.

At this key moment in the evolution of soccer in this country, I ask that you consider the creation of a suitable legacy trophy that could be donated to the Canadian Premier League.  Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Edit : change "has built on this inertia" to "has built on this momentum" 

:)

Hey @Lofty, could you stop posting these trophy images? You've made your point and are starting to move toward the realm of trolling (which I'm hoping isn't your intention). The images don't really add anything to the conversation and just prevent one from continuing further, like the proposed open letter to the league/governor general.

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Hey @Lofty, could you stop posting these trophy images? You've made your point and are starting to move toward the realm of trolling (which I'm hoping isn't your intention). The images don't really add anything to the conversation and just prevent one from continuing further, like the proposed open letter to the league/governor general.

Thanks!

OK, sure. I just like big silverware and thought others might too. This seemed like a good thread for indulging and sharing that interest. And there is a lot of it out there, in great variety, as you can see.

If I were trolling I'd post this (below) and many varieties thereof, which I'm sure would be of no interest to anyone. 😁

As opposed to a classic picture of one of football's most famous managers holding a major European club competition trophy, which really ought to be enjoyed by many.

Edited by Lofty