Sign in to follow this  
Cheeta

League Trophy

37 minutes ago, Shway said:

Side note: there should be a stickied thread on the history, and donators of this trophy. In the possible event of a new trophy being designed/awarded... the guys and gals who got this started need to be engrained in the history. 

Maybe some of us who donated under nicknames can change it to our real names.

I actually like these as trophies.  I think they’re unique and cool.  

The CPL hit a home run with these awards.  Probably the best awards I’ve seen.  

Imagine Tristan Borges gets all 3 of Golden Boot, Player of the Year and U-21 Player of the Year.  He would have a matched set that would be way cooler than all his generic soccer trophies over the year.  

Brilliant!

Edited by baulderdash77

I quite like them too, but I think Player of the Year should probably go to a Cavalry player if they win the Spring, Fall, and Finals. Maybe Carducci brings home a couple of these

22 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

CPL releases images of five awards – Golden Boot, Golden Glove, Coach of the Year, Player of the Year and Best Under 21 Canadian Player of the Year.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-officially-unveils-2019-individual-awards

Canadian Premier League awards: Player of the Year (Nikisuittuq, top left), Golden Glove (Qimmiq or Canadian Inuit Dog, top centre), Under 21 Canadian of the Year (Polar Bear, top right), Coach of the Year (Owl, bottom left), and Golden Boot (Hunter, bottom right).

Nice statues I guess... but what the hell do they have to do with soccer? I might be missing something, but I genuinely have no idea which is which by just looking at them. I genuinely don’t understand these ‘trophies’.  

The news release explains the representations.  May not be abundantly obvious, but there was thought put into it.

Hunter is the goalscorer.

Polar bear cub is young player.

etc

Given that it is culturally unique to Canada, I think the choice is pretty cool - though I can see how it might not be everyone's first choice. 

I’ve been pretty neutral on this shield but I decided to asked my 6 year old at the end of the game today what he thought of the trophy. His response was as follows.

Thats’s the trophy?! It’s a plate!  They work so hard for that?! That’s cheap! They cheated them!

My son has never had a negative remark about any trophy, ribbon or certificate he’s ever received. I was actually quite surprised with his reaction. 

3 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

I’ve been pretty neutral on this shield but I decided to asked my 6 year old at the end of the game today what he thought of the trophy. His response was as follows.

Thats’s the trophy?! It’s a plate!  They work so hard for that?! That’s cheap! They cheated them!

My son has never had a negative remark about any trophy, ribbon or certificate he’s ever received. I was actually quite surprised with his reaction. 

And not to harp on about it, but when they each took turns hoisting it in the air after the presentation it just didn’t need look right.  I want to see something that looks like a silver cup when that is happening. 

I don’t really care what the trinket is, but for what it’s worth I did think it looked better today than in the original photo.

But yeah, whether it’s a cup, plate, pepper grinder, lawn mower or astronaut doesn’t really matter to me. When I got addicted to obtaining digital trophies on PS3 it hammered home the point that it’s just about the accomplishment associated with it that matters, not the trinket itself.

I'm sure those are very nice pieces of art but they are not appropriate for recognizing a football achievement. That is my main beef.

As for the frosted frisbee...

I give them a pass this year though. But please do better next year!

"All we are saying, is give us a cup!"

On 11/1/2019 at 6:14 PM, baulderdash77 said:

My Picks:

Golden Boot - Hunter- Borges

Golden Glove - Inuit Dog - Carducci

Player of the Year - Nikisuittuq - Carducci

U-21 Player of the Year - Polar Bear - Borges

Coach of the Year - Owl - Wheeldon 

Why is the Golden Glove the dog? Something to do with goalposts substituted for fire hydrants?

Edited by Lofty