Ottawa Fury 2019 USL season

gwsmith63

26 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Good attendance. For those that went, how does that amount look and feel within the stadium?

Depends what the setup is. Yesterday everyone was forced to sit on the north side because of snow accumulation on the south side so I imagine the atmosphere probably wasn’t great. The north side is one stand and 6500 is probably a little more than half the capacity. The south side, which they usually use, is two stands stacked on top of each other with 6500 probably being close to the capacity of the lower half. The concourse on the lower half is open to the field so it also adds to the atmosphere. 

5000+ on the south side is a great time at TD place. You’re looking at empty seats across the field but you can’t see the stand above you and the lower sections around you feel full.

I was in the south side on saturday and looking across at the north side with the majority of the 6500 sitting in the lower section  it looked great, there were people in the south side in the corporate boxes.

What was good to hear was the supporters section, who are now permanently on the north side their drumming and cheering was easily heard on the south side, whereas when they were in the east end last year you could'nt here them.

Nashville were a level above the Fury, as they are gearing up for MLS next year, hopefully we will get a better idea of how the team is this saturday when they play newcomers Loudon,  but i am still worried about where the goals are coming from.

Fury playing well against DC United affiliate Loudon United. 5 Canadians in the starting 11 and an all Canadian bench. Dixon and Attakora not starting which seems odd to me. 100-150 people watching on YouTube and it doesn’t look like a good crowd at TD Place despite some pleasant weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Fury draw NY RedBull II 1-1 at home today in front of 6800. A slight step down from 8000 in the attendance for the school day game last year against the same team. 

Disappointing result considering the chances the Fury had and the equalizer in the 92nd minute.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

On 5/8/2019 at 1:01 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Fury draw NY RedBull II 1-1 at home today in front of 6800. A slight step down from 8000 in the attendance for the school day game last year against the same team.

15% seems more than "slight", but sure. Worth noting the school game in 2017 was 7500 on June 20th (vs Orlando B), later than this year's May 8th and last year's May 2nd. Weather may have been a factor in the drop this year (from what I'm seeing, 2017 and 2018 would have been around +20, whereas this year, while bright, was more like +12). 

Be interesting to see what the attendance is tomorrow. Last year they had 4300 for Atlanta 2 on Sat, May 12 in what seems like similar weather (+16, mainly sunny. Tomorrow's forecast is +15, mix of sun and clouds). I don't know if they did the "mothers get in free" thing though.

30 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

15% seems more than "slight", but sure. Worth noting the school game in 2017 was 7500 on June 20th (vs Orlando B), later than this year's May 8th and last year's May 2nd. Weather may have been a factor in the drop this year (from what I'm seeing, 2017 and 2018 would have been around +20, whereas this year, while bright, was more like +12). 

Be interesting to see what the attendance is tomorrow. Last year they had 4300 for Atlanta 2 on Sat, May 12 in what seems like similar weather (+16, mainly sunny. Tomorrow's forecast is +15, mix of sun and clouds). I don't know if they did the "mothers get in free" thing though.

I would imagine these school day games are planned well in advance so I doubt weather is a factor.

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I would imagine these school day games are planned well in advance so I doubt weather is a factor.

Agreed, but figured since I generally spend all my time being critical of the Fury I needed to at least give them the benefit of the doubt once. Maybe flooding instead then. Though of course it also depends on if their attendance is 'tickets sold/given away' or 'tickets used'.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:37 AM, Viruk42 said:

How does 3551 strike you?

Sure it's not 4300, but the Fury had two matches <3000 attendance by this point last year and their lowest so far this year is 3200.

23 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

How does 3551 strike you?

Sure it's not 4300, but the Fury had two matches <3000 attendance by this point last year and their lowest so far this year is 3200.

Let's just say I am underwhelmed by the fact that they had ~15% lower attendance while giving out free tickets to mothers. There may, of course, be a difference between attendance on a saturday vs. a sunday, the day before mother's day vs actually mother's day, and various other factors.

It's too bad we can't know how attendance would be if the game had been against, say, York 9 (the only CPL team to not play this past weekend) instead of Atlanta's farm team. 

V CUP SPOILERS BELOW

So HFX seem to be in control heading home after the first leg at Vaughn. Assuming they get through who are Ottawa fans hoping to see - Valour or HFX? 

At this point I feel like I partial to the Wanderers as a club because who doesn't love Halifax but I'd enjoy seeing some of the young guys like Petrasso, Bustos and Carriero play. Guys who I've followed for years but haven't had much opportunity to see live.